Staple / Paperclip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gotrice864, May 31, 2007.

May 31, 2007

Staple / Paperclip by gotrice864 at 9:53 PM (2,878 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. gotrice864
    OP

Newcomer gotrice864 Member

United States
    Could you use these to do the quicksolder way without using a glob of pure solder?

EDIT Clear it up, solder paperclip/staple to joint on wiikey and pad on wii, using it instead of wire.

2. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Probably.

3. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Just to clarify this thread is one of the silliest things I've seen all day - and I read youtube comments!

You could try it... but don't expect it to work though. It will be ridiculously hard bridging the connection and even if you managed to, a tiny knock to the Wii - even something like putting the case back on, could knock and unbridge the connection.

Buy a soldering iron, or pay up for someone to install it.

[​IMG]

4. _Mazza_

Member _Mazza_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    staple! paperclip!

I would go on and explain why this wouldn't work but instead I'll just say one word

No

5. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Staples and paperclips work for connecting TPS reports together. I see no reason why it wouldn't be good for connecting a chip to your Wii's motherboard.

6. Smack

Member Smack GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    [​IMG]
    And remember if you are working on 2 or more job codes in the same day to use the new cover sheet, otherwise use the regular ones.

And with everything you do at work, ask yourself, "Is this good for the company?"

7. zosh

Newcomer zosh Advanced Member

Please excuse the silly answers, some people just don't know when to take a question seriously. Of course, just because staples and paperclips work with sheet paper doesn't make them work with electronics. Please don't try it, you will fail. Mounting a modchip takes at least a needle gun - try going with the pneumatic models, spring-loaded models are not very precise and you may end up bridging solder pads. The best way, however, is to drill holes from the back of the motherboard and use M1.6 or M2 sized screws to connect the respective solder points. Use truss or flat head screws for the low profile required. Remember to generously insulate your work, either with sanitary silicone, or, if you really want to be sure, using a piece of tar-bitumen roof sheeting. Good luck!

8. gotrice864
    OP

United States
    I dont think you guys understand what I am saying. Instead of the 30gauge wires in this http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/Wiikey%20review.html I was thinking of using bent paperclips or staples.

Quicksolder for the wiikey I think thats what got you guys confused.

9. pewpz

Member pewpz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You could, but the staple has adhesive residue and the paper clip lacks the flexibility of a wire, and the solder might not even stick. If you can't use regular wire, strip an old phone line or network cable and get the wire from there.

Sounds like you want to do a hybrid quicksolder/wire like this:

http://www.wii-ftw.com/page/wiikey.install.review

10. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    Heh, you should see my rig, I taped the wires on >_

11. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    A cousin of mine tried to staple his Wii chip in... using a staple gun!

That didn't work, so he hired a nail gun and shattered his motherboard to pieces [​IMG]

13. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    Staples/paperclip are usually not made of copper or are cladded with non-copper material, so the solder won't really get into contact with and it'll hardly hold properly. Of course, if your staples/clips have a coppery colour, you can try - but try far away from the Wii first. It'll get scared to death if you fail to apply solder to the "wire" and look for a FW update on the internet to brick itself.

But I like the solution zosh proposed, but would like to modify it slightly: also use the pneumatic nail gun to attach your chip to the DVD board! That way it'll hold perfectly when drilling the holes. There you go, a perfect installation within minutes. Even better: you'll be able to hang your Wii on the wall like a picture frame! Perfect solution in case you don't have much space near the TV. Like I placed it in the left back corner of the aquarium, which is next to my TV. Problem just was finding a nail strong enough to replace the constantly popping fuse in the houses fuse box. And the dead fish are starting to smell. [​IMG]

@Wanque: I'm pretty sure he used the wrong brand of nail gun. Some really have quality issues...

14. bell

Newcomer bell Member

Sweden
    While there a lot people trying to be funny in this thread, I will try not to. (I really hope that none of them actually was stupid enough to believe he really wanted to attach the chip with staples/paperclips alone.)

There is nothing wrong with the question really, bridging the gap between the "pads" on top of the wiikey PCB with the solder points on the drive PCB only with solder looks a bit of a challenge if you ask me. I've never installad a WiiKey and I never will, but if I would try a quicksolder with one then I would also like to have something to help making the connections.

For this purpose the leftover pins (anyone have better word for it?) when cutting resistors to the desired length works very well for situations like this.

15. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    I taped my wiikey with scotch but that didn't work so I used superglue with ducktape! And it works!

16. bell

Newcomer bell Member

Sweden
    OMG! You bastards! I knew you dutch people are wierd but making tape from ducks, that's really horrible. [​IMG]
    (Or is it perhaps tape that you use on the ducks when you... Nevermind...)

17. punjabirudeboi

Newcomer punjabirudeboi Newbie

United Kingdom
    Or you could just hold the wire/paperclip in place on the solder pad and just make it stay there using a dab from a hot glue gun. I used this as the hot glue also insulates the wire and connection and ensures that no points are bridged. It works perfectly! [​IMG]

18. gotrice864
    OP

United States
    one last question. I have this insulated brass color wire, would it work? It is small enough. I think it may be telephone wire

19. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    You'll have to try whether it accepts the solder. You'll never know from looking at it, but telphone wire sounds good. Just try to solder two pieces of wire together and see wether it looks more like putting water on a cotton string [​IMG] or water on a plastic string. [​IMG] You know what I mean?

20. gotrice864
    OP

United States
    No I don't know what you mean but your saying ANY sort of wire that will stick to solder is usable for wii mods?