SPOILER - TDK Poll.

Would you of pushed the button on the boat?

• Yes, without hesitation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't want to, but I don't trust them.

• No, I couldn't.

• Total voters

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Expect The Dark Knight spoilers below. If you don't want to be spoiled, leave the thread.

After seeing The Dark Knight finally last night, I was amazed. I truly didn't believe it could be that good, but it managed to pull it off far beyond my expectations. My single lone fault though rested at the end.

The Joker's little boat experiment was bullshit. For anyone that doesn't recall it, here's a reminder of what it was. Joker had two boats planted with bombs. One of them had all of the civilians that were kidnapped. The other had all the evacuated convicts. Each boat had the detonator for the other boat. To prevent their boat from being blown up they had to blow up the other boat first. If they didn't within midnight, Joker would of blown them both up.

There's no way that both boats didn't have even a single person that only cared about themselves, or would just do anything to live. I'm sure there was a criminal who had to think that "hehe that'd be fun, I like screwing with people." I want to hear what others think of this little experiment and what would you do if you were in that scenario?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's absolutely no way I could have pushed the button.

Also, it only takes one person from each boat to step up and say "no way" and then chuck it out the window (well, one boat did atleast) to stop the cycle.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
There's absolutely no way I could have pushed the button.

Also, it only takes one person from each boat to step up and say "no way" and then chuck it out the window (well, one boat did atleast) to stop the cycle.
As true as that is, I doubt if one side did that, the other would of even noticed.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Major spoilers ahead.

I think it was perfectly reasonable. Harvey Dent had set a standard for Gotham, he had become an example of the goodness in people. In addition it's a lot harder to kill hundreds or thousands of people than it is to say you will. Especially for ordinary people who have never done anything like that in their life. Also, just because there are sadistic jerks out there, doesn't mean there was necessarily one in that crowd.

On the flipside as a criminal, you're already in jail, your life is likely over. If I was a criminal in that situation I'd certainly give my life to save the lives of people who have never committed a crime in their lives. Finally there's the fact that the pressing of the button could actually be a trap and hitting it could blow up both ships, or even the one they were on. Joker could have easily been lying.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Finally there's the fact that the pressing of the button could actually be a trap and hitting it could blow up both ships, or even the one they were on. Joker could have easily been lying.
They wouldn't of known even if that was true. Any chance they'd take for survival I'd see them taking it.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Gaisuto said:
Ace Gunman said:
Finally there's the fact that the pressing of the button could actually be a trap and hitting it could blow up both ships, or even the one they were on. Joker could have easily been lying.
They wouldn't of known even if that was true. Any chance they'd take for survival I'd see them taking it.
NO. This is not necessarily true. Just because you would doesn't mean they would. I would gladly give my life to save a total stranger. I value the lives of others more than I do my own.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to remember that there were also innocent people on the prisoner boat, ie the guards and captain. What I was surprised about was the fact that not once did a person on the civilian say "there are also innocent people on that boat" in rebuttal. I voted no, one of my mottoes is no regret, but even so, I'd rather not have blood spilled on my account.

XeonZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, I wouldn't. I definitely wouldn't have the fortitude to deal with the fact that I just killed thousands of people (I believe it was 30,000 in the movie, not quite sure). Obviously there was likely more than one person who was thinking about more of themselves but that doesn't mean that they themselves would have the mentality to actually kill the people on the other boat.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't, since it'd be murder of like :edit: thousands of people. Plus there's the guards and people on the boat.

Funny thing, I just saw The Dark Knight last night too

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it would have been much more sadistic if one of the ships did press the button and their own ship blew up. This would definitely have shown that the Joker is heartless. However, I don't think I could have pushed the button UNLESS no-one but prisoners were on the other boat.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Personally i would have liked to see one of the boats blow up, im just that kinda person. Mind you im only 16 so my views will probably change when i mature.

But all in all, if i was on the boat, i would have pressed the button to save myself only if i was one of the civilians. I guess my answer has something to do with my age though. But if i was the driminal i wouldnt of pressed it. But man i loved The Joker in The Dark Knight. He was awesome.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was waiting for someone to push the button for it to then blow up their own boat
tongue.gif

Don't think I would have, but mainly because of that ^. Bet it was dastardly trickery and would have done your own or both.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell?! This entire movie was spoiled now! I have no desire to see it EVER!!!

With that said, i really want to go and see it again. Saw it opening day, and have been jonesing to see it again. Oh, and if anyone says that above statement, and REALLY mean it? You should turn in your geek badge, trample your DS/Wii/GBA and send me whatever you had for it that is now useless.
tongue.gif

On topic: No one would do it. When you are put in that life/death situation, as a REAL threat, I could see it getting close (the civilian that said "So no one wants get blood on their hands?! FINE I'LL DO IT!") but not really happening.

Maybe i'm just too optimistic of our world, but for an incident like that, there would be no explosion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-