Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First impression:
Upon opening the case there is indeed a second small booklet. The cursed memoir. I half expected it to be included in the back of the manual. I am pleased they seem to have not spared the small details.
After booting the game you are met with a bit of a tutorial and the main menu. With my anticipation for this game being as high as it was, I had overlooked the fact that AR games must be played in well lit areas.
The music/ambient sounds seem to set the mood well despite not being able to play in the dark.
I pop my earbuds in and get ready to settle into the game proper. There are a few modes you've probably already heard about where you can battle spirits, take creepy pictures of people and see the spirits roaming your house.
Some of these are eerie, some downright silly.
After toying with that for a bit, I start the story.
I'll not spoil any details. There's a bit of free-looking/searching to be had here.
Looks like walking is on-rails so far.
Voice acting isn't bad, but is sparse. It seems like it should've been fully voiced but instead you'll find yourself clicking through unspoken text.
So far, my thoughts on the game are mixed. Overall a good time but I feel there are a few parts that are lacking. I will say that when the first enemy got in my face, I actually stepped back a bit to try and get some distance.
Speaking of the AR itself, some things do make you feel like you're really there. Others...not so much.
The effects when you have to use the book have been cool so far. I will play more later and hopefully have a final review tomorrow night.
Being a fan of the series, I'm most certainly going to overlook some shortcomings. That being said, I will do my best to point out all the highs and lows and give a final breakdown score.
I'll score graphics, sound, control, concept execution, replayability and AR/gyro experience on a 0-10 scale.
I apologize for any typos or format issues. It's my first time and I'm posting via mobile.
Thanks for your time and i hope you'll be back tomorrow night to read the final review.
Please post and let me know what you think.
I may do this more often if you guys enjoy it.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conclusion:

After quite a bit more time with the game, I'm back to tell you my final thoughts.
Headphones are a must!
Beyond the story (which is compelling if you're a fan of fatal frame and allow yourself to get absorbed) and the option to take "haunted" pics, there's a few mini games which deliver a bit of fan service with old faces returning.
The real downside is the 3DS's camera quality.
That coupled with the fact that you need very bright lighting to use the book was aggravating. Especially when you have to use the book and gyro at the same time. If you are immune to embarrassing situations, play it in the sunlight.
I realized how bad it was when I had every light possible on in a small room and still had trouble.
The Mrs. walked in: "Damn It's bright in here!"
Me: I'm playing that game again where I need the room bright as the Damn sun! *grumble*
I have yet to totally complete the game, but I sense I'm close. I am rather enjoying it. I've had the wish of an AR fatal frame ever since the psp came out with its camera.
Anyway, rather than prattle on, i'll get to the breakdown before I get tempted to reveal anything that may spoil the game.

Concept: Hunt ghosts with AR and camera.
Regular gamer says: hmm, sounds interesting.
Fan says: OVER 9000! (10)

Graphics: pretty well done. Not amazing, but It's definitely got the classic FF art style.
Gamer: MEH, nothing special here.
Fan: What I expected.

Sound: ambient sound/music fits the mood and helps bring you in to this dark game the best it can while playing in bright light. Wish voiceovers were used during ALL "spoken" dialogue instead of intermittently.
Gamer: Not bad but not scary.
Fan: Nice but needs more spoken dialogue.

Controls/Camera/AR: would work great with a better camera or at least a low-light mode.
Lighting can make using AR and gyro at the same time damn near impossible. Works great when it does what It's meant to.
Gamer: What in the actual f***??!!!
1 maybe 2
Fan: I'll muddle through cause I love the series.

Replayability:
Gamer: off I go to trade it in...
Fan: Think I'll keep it around to play with the mini games and camera app later. Good fun.

OVERALL:
For the regular gamer, the lighting issues and replayability may turn some off. I would definitely suggest waiting til it hits the bargain bin.

For the Fatal Frame fan, I'd say its almost a must-have. Despite its drawbacks, the entire package is a great concept and fanservice I think any true FF fan would enjoy.

Final score:
Gamer: 3.5
Fan:7 (or 8 if u really love FF)

Lastly, if any of you were unfortunate enough to have bought "the hidden", please give this one a shot. This is way closer to what AR ghost story should be.

Again, I apologize for any errors. This was totally done on mobile. Feel free to comment or pm me if you would like anything added or have an issue with anything I've said about the game.
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from the sounds of it, the game is crap?

Also it's only like 2-3 hours long, 40 dollars well spent everyone

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Paragraphs and spacing would be good.

Just trying to give some constructive crticism.

Break it down by topic and signpost the different areas; that makes it easier to read.

Reactions: 1 person

Izzy011

The Business Bitch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game got mediocre reviews aplenty. I usually don't buy games that have a Metacritic score below 75

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's not bad for what it is...but one of my pet peeves is that the AR fades in and out when you move. (I got hit too many times to do so!)

The ghosts are very Japanese (you can tell that it's a Japanese game)...

It really should be cheaper, considering that it's so short!

Reactions: 1 person

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paragraphs and spacing would be good.

Just trying to give some constructive crticism.

Break it down by topic and signpost the different areas; that makes it easier to read.
Thanks for the tips.
I tried using "return" to separate lil paragraphs. I just didn't space it or indent. Indenting would've been a bit of a pain as I would've had to do it manually. Maybe next time if ppl think I should continue doing this.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to be a crypt-keeper but this is like $10 now. Worth it?
Mine came free when I bought my purple 3ds on sale. Overall I would say its worth 20 but not a penny more. Also I'm confused by all the ar trouble. my apartment has atrocious lighting yet I was able to beat it at night in my living room (which oddly has no lights so I needed to tun on the kitchen one to make it work.) mind you playing like this makes the images look grainy ( I considered it a plus; adding to the games charm, though others might not.)

tldr: it's worth it.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mine came free when I bought my purple 3ds on sale. Overall I would say its worth 20 but not a penny more. Also I'm confused by all the ar trouble. my apartment has atrocious lighting yet I was able to beat it at night in my living room (which oddly has no lights so I needed to tun on the kitchen one to make it work.) mind you playing like this makes the images look grainy ( I considered it a plus; adding to the games charm, though others might not.)

tldr: it's worth it.

Hmm, alrighty.
I'm kinda surprised the OP said there was no low light option, considering the 3DS camera itself had a low light option...

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, alrighty.
I'm kinda surprised the OP said there was no low light option, considering the 3DS camera itself had a low light option...
well I didn't find an option to change light sensitivity though I admit near the end it did get a little harder and a steadier hand to allow the camera to read the book properly. By no means game breaking though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1