Spine, a new PS4 emulator, can already run two commercial games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Hrmm, dissapointed there's no source code to the emulator.

chaoskagami likes this.
  2. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Well then

3. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I was talking gpu, but I'd have even less consideration for an AMD cpu than one of their gpu's. Haha. ;)

4. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    ← This user was making an idiot of himself with the paragraph formerly here.

And while this is cool and all, source code would be nice. I'm sick of proprietary emulators.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 12, 2019
  5. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Sorry to correct you, but because the PS4 is x86_64, this isn't considered a proprietary emulator. :/

It's a proprietary virtual machine.

Vorde, chaoskagami and medoli900 like this.
  6. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The Fourth Dimension
    this is evil I love it

MythicalData likes this.
  7. DKAngel

DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2009
    Perth,Australia

Actualy it is an emulator - Emulate- match or surpass (a person or achievement), typically by imitation. / reproduce the function or action of (a different computer, software system, etc.).

still fits in that catagory.
    its not a virtual machine not even close

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Virtual machine
    Kind of software
    Description
    In computing, a virtual machine is an emulation of a computer system.

well its still emulation lol because thats exactly what a virtual machine is, its an emulator of a system

Subtle Demise, Deleted_413010 and smf like this.
  8. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    I hope this ported to the switch i finally wouldn't have to carry my ps4 and games around just play them on the switch

Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    You like to honor the statement in your signature huh? LOL

Vorde likes this.
  10. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Ahahaha. Okay, you got me there.:unsure:

Ericzander likes this.
  11. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No, that isn't a true definition at all.

emulate has such a wide and vague definition. Old dot matrix printers had ibm or epson emulation, that just meant they could print the relevant escape sequences and character sets.

Last edited by smf, Jun 12, 2019
  12. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    See, this is an interesting topic. To clarify, those printers likely translate the escape sequences internally from one spec to another. Therefore, they do in fact perform emulation.

This is the same reason a terminal emulator on linux is a terminal emulator - it emulates a teletype by implementing the relevant control codes in software.

But you're right, I suppose. The definition of an emulator is rather muddy. I suppose it'd be more accurate to call such a thing one term or another based on how it runs the PS4 software. But, well...this isn't open source, so I have no idea really. Orbital is more a virtual machine, however.

Ryccardo likes this.
  13. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Talk about overreacting. Vague hyperbole. No specifics. Both Nvidia and AMD cards have plenty of issues. If you don't like AMD because of irrational tribalism pride, just say it. Don't claim the cards don't work, because they do. I have used both Nvidia and AMD since I was little and they both have their pros and cons, brand by brand, but never have they been completely shot. Stick to Gigabyte, EVGA, XFX, Sapphire, and MSI.

Last edited by Pluupy, Jun 12, 2019
    Vorde and Sophie-bear like this.
  14. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Didn't mean to make you edit your post, I just couldn't resist, haha.

chaoskagami likes this.
  15. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Nah, s'okay. I was asking for that one. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at one's own stupidity.

16. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    32GB RAM might only be ~$100. Beyond that, now that I have 32GB of RAM...I realize that 16GB was probably more than enough. :)

17. When a developer pops out of nowhere and is doing better than the only other one known to exist

Subtle Demise and 1MiinMofo like this.
  18. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Because I care what you think, why? Sorry that my opinions really bother you to the point of having to post that. Maybe the internet isn't the place for you.

Edit: When there's documented issues with AMD's entire 7900 series, which have gone unfixed for 6 years now.... yeah. I don't need to explain the specifics to you no matter how much you'd like me to. Don't like it? Tough. I especially have zero need to prove myself to a complete stranger online.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R, Jun 12, 2019
  19. 1MiinMofo

1MiinMofo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Do not pretend that AMD graphics card issues are not an order or magnitude larger than Nvidia's. There's a reason AMD can't charge the same price for the same level of performance. And there's a reason people who pay attention stopped buying anything but Nvidia cards years ago. Wanna save a few bucks and deal with ATI's drivers? Feel free. But don't come to a forum like this and try to say that both companies have issues as if they have them equally.
    #rejected

DarthDub, Memoir and D34DL1N3R like this.
  20. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    The crux of your argument seems to be drivers. The AMD Windows drivers do in fact suck. However, that shouldn't be blamed on hardware. After all, the FOSS radeon drivers on Linux kick the proprietary ones arse in pretty much every way and actually outperform the Windows drivers. You have only yourself to blame for expecting Windows drivers to behave themselves. I mean, it's Windows - you know - the OS that BSoD's if you leave it running for more than four days.

Also, lower performance has never been an issue. It's a shortcoming, sure. But an issue? No.

By the way, you're not making your argument any more solid by dumping hashtags at the end of your post. This isn't twitter.

Deleted_413010 and gnmmarechal like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted