Spine, a new PS4 emulator, can already run two commercial games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Hacktendo

Hacktendo Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2019
    Canada
    Yoooo
    Someone get this running on L4T on Switch lol
    since it's only for Linux

2. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    You may want to try PSNow then.

3. EIREXE

EIREXE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    Spain
    The developer does plan to open source, at least.

It really is a different approach, Orbital uses low level emulation and leverages QEMU, this is a more traditional high level emulator.

chaoskagami and Ev1l0rd like this.
  4. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Now, now. I've been running without crashes for 5 days now!

chaoskagami likes this.
  5. EIREXE

EIREXE Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    Spain
    At work we use purely AMD and (unfortunately) on Windows, the performance is pretty nice (vega 56s can be had for cheap) so we are quite happy.

Raw performance really isn't the most important thing, it's the fact the bloody thing works, and the adrenalin software has generally been less of a headache for us than geforce experience.

Sophie-bear likes this.
  6. DKAngel

DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2009
    Perth,Australia

windows and bsod.....ummm maybe not since windows 7 my pc had an uptime of over 150+ days and not a single bsod so stop spreading FUD esp when graphics drivers will not bring a system down any more, most things have been seperated out so you get very minimal BSOD

Subtle Demise and Vorde like this.
  7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    oh wow it runs megaman wow even my 1080 ti can't run that! yeah lets see it run dragon quest or the new final fantasy games not gowna happen anytime soon :lol:

UltraSUPRA likes this.
  8. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    Seems supicuous.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Did linux just got his first major timed exclusive game here (even though an emulator is stretching the term 'game' a bit) ? :P

10. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    It was a half-joke. It's fact though that Windows is less stable than Linux, and it's also not engineered as well in certain ways. Windows can survive forever if you leave it idling, but if you're using it constantly, the probability of something going wrong approaches 1 over a period that decreases corresponding to how much crap you've installed.

Also, not seeing FUD here. Fear, unrest, distress? Just not seeing it. If my posts were FUD, so were your posts about ATI cards.

Oh, by the way. On Windows, drivers run in ring 0. Any driver crash or bug will bring down the kernel. That is, unless the drivers run under the user-mode driver framework, which graphics drivers cannot do. And I vaguely recall a recent incident in which spectre/meltdown patches were causing BSoDs due to badly implemented graphics drivers. Hmmm.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 12, 2019
    adrenochrome and EIREXE like this.
  11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Mmm, and how is PS3 emulation going?

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I mean, nearly 90% of PS3 games now go in game on RPCS3, and half of those are marked as fully playable (with some minor bugs, I'm sure) sooo...pretty good for emulation of a console as "advanced" as the PS3 is.

Vorde, Sophie-bear and KiiWii like this.
  13. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Nop, I think this needs the Intel Xeon Platinum 8168 costing almost 6000$, the more you pay, the better it runs :)

But anyway the consoles are already X86\X64, it was cool was if anyone could actually convert the games to run on windows, but they surely will be full of voodoo magic inside so yeah :ph34r:.

14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    By advanced you mean "It was a birch to program for."

15. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Speaking personally, from my numerous experiences, I'd add Asus to this list as well.

16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    Most terminals used software too, but it was normally in rom and you couldn't change it. Although the DataPoint 2200 could load emulations from tape (the Intel 8008 CPU was designed for it but they ended up shipping a TTL implementation instead).

Linux is no different https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

17. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Interesting bit of history there. Didn't know that. Then again...ancient printers aren't exactly my area of expertise, y'know?

Nice goal post shifting. I never said Linux was problem free - I said that the FOSS radeon drivers kick Windows' arse and that Windows tends to crash all the time. Did I say Linux was perfect? No. Try a different rebuttal - that one isn't gonna cut it. :wink:

Linux is better at surviving partial crashes - a kernel oops usually won't kill the kernel, but under Windows any such similar condition would cause a bugcheck.

Also, half that list doesn't seem to affect me at all, but that's probably because I run Gentoo and manually configure everything.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 13, 2019
    Sophie-bear likes this.
  18. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Hmmm....i'll wait for bloodborne

19. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    The ps3 is quite exotic, so they are doing great all things considered.

20. chocoboss

chocoboss GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    I like to see ppl telling that AMD is shit ... AMD is in PS4 and Xbox one
    AMD will be in next gen console.

AMD is not that bad, you are just fu**** blinded be nvidia and intel that sell you the same thing 2 or 3 time more expensive !

Vorde likes this.