Hardware [Spicy] RUMOR - Wii U to see $300 price

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
To be fair, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Donkey Kong is still a significant list. And who knows, Nintendo give might Metroid, Starfox and console Pokemon proper revivals. They did with Donkey Kong. Not to mention their other games like the Mario spinoffs (Sports, Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario and RPGs, Mario vs DK, Warioware,) Rythmn Heaven, Advance/Battalion Wars, Golden Sun, and a few more.

I know you'd be quick to dismiss this entire list but that's really just your own preference. Nintendo has a lot to work with as far as their IPs go, and these games definitely do sell consoles. Lots of them.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For that price I rather get a PS3 because its cheaper in the first place. But it already has a huge library of games to play and new games still come out for it.

Reactions: 1 person

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$300 is too much. They should go for $250 at most. If it really is $180 for the console + $50 for the controller, that's still going to keep them from selling at a loss, and at a much more attractive price point.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
would rather have them spend 100$ more on the hardware and sell it at 400$ than its current state. because 180$ of hardware really is not that much. also selling a system that costs 230$ to produce (inculding controller) at 300$ is not a bad deal. However if they do the shift+4=Alt+5 again well the € would be to high compared to the production costs even if you measure the vat which is somewhere between 17% and 25%

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
$300 is too much. They should go for $250 at most. If it really is $180 for the console + $50 for the controller, that's still going to keep them from selling at a loss, and at a much more attractive price point.
I payed $280 CAD for my Wii at launch. I'm fine with this.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, the Wii was priced at $250 on launch in US. I bought it and all the numerous extra controllers. This new device will be painful on the wallet - $300 for unit and one controller, then another $50 for another controller (you got to have two), and who knows what other optional controllers will be needed and, of course, it won't be hacked on launch so need to buy 2-3 $59 games...

I'm starting to save the pennies now. :D

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Yeah, the Wii was priced at $250 on launch in US. I bought it and all the numerous extra controllers. This new device will be painful on the wallet - $300 for unit and one controller, then another $50 for another controller (you got to have two), and who knows what other optional controllers will be needed and, of course, it won't be hacked on launch so need to buy 2-3 $59 games...

I'm starting to save the pennies now. :D
No need for more controllers. It uses Wii remotes. I have lots of those.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still $50 more than the PS3 and $100 more than the Xbox 360.

Just felt like pointing that out so people can yell at me for being a hater.

Thats ok the Wii was for a long time $50 more than the 360 and at that time was outselling it by the boat load. I found it ironic that people where willing to pay $50 more for the Wii at $249.99 than the 360 Arcade at $199.99.

Will be interesting to see how things go in the future.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt matter that the WiiU will be $300 because given that the new xbox and ps3 will have more expensive hardware inside, they will sell for at least $400

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt matter that the WiiU will be $300 because given that the new xbox and ps3 will have more expensive hardware inside, they will sell for at least $400

I'm not actually convinced that Microsoft and Sony will have such super hardware in them VS what is supposedly in the Wii-U, honestly once you can do graphics at native 1080P there is not a whole ton more you can add.

I think Sony and Microsoft will launch hardware that is a step up from the current systems but people looking for a giant leap in performance are going to be disappointed. There really hasn't been any massive advances in chip fabrication since they dropped to 32nm (same litho used in the PS3 and 360 chips.) So chips will still run just as hot at the same Ghz... Heat is the issue holding things back for a console right now, you can only stuff so much hardware in a small box and not have it melt. PC's get around that slightly by having at least 3 fans and usually a big box for nice air flow.

As far as instruction efficiencies go, we are not dealing with X86 VS PowerPC code here, since all the consoles already feature PowerPC based cores moving to an AMD core with X86 or AMD64 instruction sets will not help things at all (The rumor floating around about the next Playstation.)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm not actually convinced that Microsoft and Sony will have such super hardware in them VS what is supposedly in the Wii-U, honestly once you can do graphics at native 1080P there is not a whole ton more you can add.
Look at a game in 1080p, and look at a movie in 1080p. See the differences. That's what can be added.

Although it probably won't be added in this next generation (WiiU/PS4/X720). I'm just saying there's always room for improvement.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wont buy it right away.. I will keep my eyes on it for a year or two since PS4 and 720 will be out in 2013.. The third party is a key and I am waiting for 15 games to my liking before I can buy it. Right now, no hurry. I have Wii and PS3 to focus for now. :)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Look at a game in 1080p, and look at a movie in 1080p. See the differences. That's what can be added.

True as that is, you then got a stumbling block when going into that realistic/detailed phase. Development costs + time. I honestly think that is what is holding back progress

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto