WIP SphiNX - Nintendo Switch emulator

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by lintu, Sep 6, 2018.

1. lintu
    OP

lintu Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    Canada
    I would like to present a little project I've been working on recently during my spare time, and I feel now it's in a state where it can be shown.

I present "SphiNX", an experimental Nintendo Switch emulator for Windows.

I've been working on this emulator for about 1.2 months now and in it's current state it can boot some Homebrew applications (FPS may vary).

Screenshots

Homebrew
    SpaceNX.PNG tetrisswitch.PNG

Retail Games
    ARMS.
    ARMS

FAQ

Will this emulator be available for other operating systems than Windows? Yes, in the future I plan to make builds of the emulator for other operating systems like MacOS and Linux.

Where can I download this emulator? The emulator is not available for download yet but, will be once I feel it's ready to be publicly available.

Does it run any commercial games? Not from what I've seen so far. I'll update this thread if anything does start to work but for now, all I can say is Soon™.

Open source or closed source? Currently the emulator is closed source, as I don't want anyone stealing my work. This may change in the future.

Are you the only person working on this emulator? As of right now, yes. I have had a little help from some pals but, otherwise it's just me.

Super Mario Odyssey 4k60FPS? Haha, I personally hope to get Super Mario Odyssey working on this emulator eventually but, that might not be for awhile longer.

Last edited by lintu, Sep 12, 2018
  2. Smash73

Smash73 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Bangladesh
    192.168.43.1:8080
    Keep it up your hard work ! I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Smash73, Sep 6, 2018
    snormman, Anna831, Fl0x9 and 2 others like this.
  3. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii Professional Idiot

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Woah, another new Switch emulator!
    This could get interesting...

jimmyj and lintu like this.
  4. Mcdev

Mcdev Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2018
    Canada
    halifax
    Would love a build to Show of on YT soon

damiano2712 and Smash73 like this.
  5. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Fair warning, some folks may not like seeing closed-source stuff here. (But to clear any misunderstandings, it's perfectly fine to post, not against the rules or anything.)

SkyQueen, renhei, ov3rkill and 2 others like this.
  6. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Only one of the emulators is going to widely used. This one looks promising.

eta wen mario odyssey 4k60fps??

7. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Not to hate or anything, but why did you start work on it alone when you can see 2 other open-source projects with much more helpers are developing emulators at much better speeds?

8. Smash73

Smash73 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Bangladesh
    huh? Why so? What's the problem with one more emulator?

snormman, Anna831, Fl0x9 and 4 others like this.
  9. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    If there's more than one emulator, there's choice and specialization in what the emulator can do.
    For example you can have an emulator that's meant for gaming and speed, and one that's meant for development purposes.

TheTechWiz25 likes this.
  10. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Nothing at all, im just trying to understand why the user started making a brand new emulator from scratch closed-source by himself when he could either not, or help provide code to Ryujinx/Yuzu's Codebase?
    It seems very impractical to try and compete in my opinion

antiNT, Type_O_Dev, Xandrid and 3 others like this.
  11. Smash73

Smash73 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Bangladesh
    I believe lintu can do.

jimmyj, 0000ff, snormman and 2 others like this.
  12. Niels Van Son

Niels Van Son Unspecified Life Form

Jan 1, 2016
    France
    Mirepoix, Ariège, Occitanie
    If you need any help, don't hesitate. Great work !

13. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    I think it's because this one is closed source, someone is working on it with barely any help, and likely with how much progress the other emulators are getting and are open source. This one might not take off as well.

Nothing wrong with one more emulator in fact if there were more emulator efforts for the current gen consoles that would be great but this one is pretty bizzare especially the reason for being closed source.

Like not wanting your work to be stolen that's understandable but isn't this a risk with yuzu and ryujinx and those emulators no offense but if I was a thief I wouldn't be stealing from someone with an emulator that's barely functioning I'll be stealing from the people that have an emulator that can do this

and

I feel like making it closed source early on without really offering anything that the other guys don't do is gonna hinder her progress on the emulator and considering what we have seen so far with this emulator

This thing is an eventual SMO it's going to be running 4k/60FPS

With how fast Ryujinx and Yuzu are going it's going to be 3 months.

14. wii94

wii94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2008
    Estonia
    y'all seem to forget how cemu started off.
    keep up the good work.

15. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    Except this isn't Cemu

Decaf the Open Source Emulator failed to do the job of the closed source one this is the reverse not saying she should stop work but open it up for other people to help.

16. Smash73

Smash73 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Bangladesh
    @spiderman1216 , Closed source is far better. As you see how Cemu did it. Decaf is open source and now the project is dead. Something better is happening near future. I liked her work and I always giving her support to do it.

snormman, Anna831 and Fl0x9 like this.
  17. Type_O_Dev

Type_O_Dev GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I'm guessing intu has something to offer, why else would they take on such a project. I look forward to seeing this develop and hope you succeed.

18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Conversely, both Yuzu and RyujiNX are open source and are making major progress almost literally on the daily

Rfire and spiderman1216 like this.
  19. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Wow, watching :)

20. Smash73

Smash73 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2017
    Bangladesh
    Just keep it up your good work ! :yay:

snormman, Anna831 and Fl0x9 like this.
  21. KHEOPS
    This message by KHEOPS has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 9, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/bickering.
    Sep 7, 2018
  22. Bellebite2000
    This message by Bellebite2000 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 9, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/bickering.
    Sep 7, 2018
  23. SimonMKWii
    This message by SimonMKWii has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 9, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/bickering.
    Sep 7, 2018
  24. Bellebite2000
    This message by Bellebite2000 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 9, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/bickering.
    Sep 7, 2018
  25. Smash73
    This message by Smash73 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 9, 2018, Reason: Offtopic/bickering.
    Sep 7, 2018