Speeded up DS games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by KamikazeEsp, Jul 16, 2017.

1. KamikazeEsp
    OP

KamikazeEsp Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    Due to Arm9 processor has a clock which MHz doubles DS Lite processor's MHz, could be possible to play DS games on 3DS at least at 2x?

Sent from my SM-G930F by Tapatalk

2. danny19901

danny19901 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    Probably not I'm sure Nintendo will drop the processors speed to match the DS Lite so it's exactly same

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think TWLoader already does this, but it doesn't actually speed up the games, you'd probably need to change something else as well (in TWL_FIRM maybe?) to achieve that.

KamikazeEsp likes this.
  4. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    United States
    Problem is the slow sd card access via ARM7 from TWL_FIRM with TWLoader, this can't be circumvented.
    They try to address by upping the RAM that is usable and asynchronously fetching data but while games are booting this isn't really usable rn.

Last edited by Wuigi, Jul 16, 2017
  5. relminator

relminator #AnyaBasic

May 28, 2010
    DS game speed usually follow the refresh rate(about 59 fps and change). At least that was what I did when I made games with it.

Technically, you could design a variable timestep engine to make the speed "variable" but with the absense of an FPU, you'll likely have overflows in your fixedpoint calculation for "deltatimes".