Source code for the 1995 racing game WipEout has been released by Forest of Illusion

FO2p5XIaMAEleIj

A source code release for a beloved game is always big news, and this here is no exception. Video game preservation group Forest of Illusion has just released the original PlayStation 1 and Windows source code to Psygnosis's hit game WipEout. The preservation group has preserved plenties game prototypes, betas, and other unique items over the years that may have been lost and forgotten forever, so game source code is often some of the most valuable things they release. Although they state that "it is currently unknown if these sources are fully buildable", it'll be interesting to see what comes from this, whether it be a modern multiplatform port or even an original fan game.

Dark315055Vash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vash.romhacking.it
XP
Country
Italy
If someone wants to take a look, I managed to compile it with Visual Studio 2019, it works! Copy protection kicks in (it says that the CD is missing while trying to read some external file, which is actually missing) :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao6yepdo4rvbk93/WIPESRC.7z?dl=0

Just open the file WIPESRC\Wipeout98\Wipeout98.sln

(left some dirt inside plus compiled executable)

Last edited by Dark315055Vash,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If someone wants to take a look, I managed to compile it with Visual Studio 2019, it works! Copy protection kicks in (it says that the CD is missing while trying to read some external file, which is actually missing) :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao6yepdo4rvbk93/WIPESRC.7z?dl=0

Just open the file WIPESRC\Wipeout98\Wipeout98.sln

(left some dirt inside plus compiled executable)
Yeah I think the source code maps a Filesystem layer around the CD filesystem, thus all files are retrieved from there. These should be in the release build

Dark315055Vash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vash.romhacking.it
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah I think the source code maps a Filesystem layer around the CD filesystem, thus all files are retrieved from there. These should be in the release build
Exactly, my problem is that I cannot find the actual first files it's loading, I looked at 2-3 ISO versions, but these files are not present

static char* lpszTexFilename[3]={
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page12.3df",
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page15.3df",
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page17.3df"
};

In the ATI-Rage version these files are present but with a different extension, SJR

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the code that clean that it compiled like that or does visual studio have more legacy features support than I would have expected? Or is the code including half the SDK/Sony provided libraries where necessary?

Second to that is would the AP be reasonably easy to either comment out or not trigger? I know some N64 went places with needing actual responses to further execution and compiled code might dozens of checks around the code but I would have thought most things at source level in 1995 would be able to be commented out (even it is takes a bit of fun with grep) or dummied out.

Reactions: VinsCool

baosen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Exactly, my problem is that I cannot find the actual first files it's loading, I looked at 2-3 ISO versions, but these files are not present

static char* lpszTexFilename[3]={
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page12.3df",
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page15.3df",
"wipeout\\newgraph\\menu\\page17.3df"
};

In the ATI-Rage version these files are present but with a different extension, SJR
I figured out from a reply-tweet that if you replace the extensions .3df with .sjr in those strings and comment out the first fread that reads 55 bytes, it will load those files properly. But then, the game crashes at the function DrawLandscape due to trying to read the next element of a C array of vertices.

I'm using the game data files found in the WIPEOUT/-folder of the ATI 3D Rage release. Place the folder in the same directory as the .sln-file, and in the WinMain-function where it tries to do chdir(...) to the data files, comment out the chdir(..) so the game will read the WIPEOUT/-directory from the current working directory that should be set as the same directory of the .sln-file in Dark315055Vash's WIPESRC.7z.

That is how far I got running this source code. It seems the code in the folder WIN95/ and Wipeout PSX/ is the ATI 3D Rage version ported from the DOS version, because it contains Windows-code and the functions AdjustCrowdSounds and AdjustEngineSounds that generates crowd and engine sounds are commented out, which are sounds that are missing from the DOS and the ATI 3D Rage version, but exists in the Playstation version. The folder Wipeout98/ seems to be an unreleased port of the ATI 3D Rage version to use the Direct3D API on Windows 98.

Basically, I guess the evolution of this game's source code is Playstation version -> DOS version -> ATI 3D Rage version -> Direct3D version. That is how it looks from my point of view, since a lot of the code that computes 3D stuff in this game seems to use Sony's libgte-library, which is then afterwards wrapped to run on DOS, then later ported to ATI 3D Rage, then Direct3D.

Last edited by baosen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some terms I had not heard there in a while, and makes sense of it being compiled without too many headaches. Throw in 3dfx and s3 virge and you would have won the lot. Timelines are also fairly long in this one if 98 is in the mix, would love to hear the stories of that one* -- I can't imagine these guys were on a preferential list (though I could be surprised) so what would be 98, aka memphis, got a first beta in early 97 and I imagine there is a roadmap in there somewhere (whether it is quite as it is today where all the graphics hardware devs, MS and game/film/CGI producers all chip in their thoughts I don't know).

*though as rate of change of hardware back then was 6 months of a reasonable machine and maybe a year of 12 if you spent up with attendant bumps in graphics quality then I would probably guess it would look too old so plug pulled.

Hope the cleanup continues and we get a reasonably working port at some point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...