Sony's Next Generation Portable Gets Backwards Compatibility Detai

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony has been slowly letting out details about its brand new Next Generation Portable device, this time talking about backwards compatibility and how it is pushing developers to bring games released on UMD to the NGP through memory cards.

Sony's Next Generation Portable (aka the PSP2) has been detailed a lot recently, with the biggest news saying that it will get retail games through the use of special memory cards, just like the Nintendo DS, dropping the old UMD format from the original PSP and the digital-only system used by the newer PSP Go.

The Next Generation Portable will also have backwards compatibility, meaning new owners will be able to download the games they already bought from the PlayStation Network for the PSP onto the new device, as long as they are within the download limits imposed by the service.

What's more, Sony promised that it is currently asking developers to release their previous PSP games as digital downloads onto the PSN so that everyone can get them, no matter the versions of their device.

In preparation for the launch of the NGP, Sony is also asking developers that games released only in the UMD format to try and launch them through the device's special memory card format, so that more people can enjoy them.

Sony said that it is still working out deals and overcoming legal hurdles, but that it won't release something like an external UMD reader, which was rumored for the previous PSP Go.

This may annoy current PSP owners who have a large collection of games on the UMD format and want to play those titles on the Next Generation Portable.

Still, the features and specifications of the new devices are more than enough to warrant a new investment, even if its own price is still just a rumor at this stage.

The Next Generation Portable is set to be one of the most powerful handheld consoles on the market, with Sony hyping it up by saying that it is as powerful as a PlayStation 3.

The device may start rolling out onto specific territories at the end of the year. [/p]

source

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
what about my UMD games can i somehow burn them to the NGP ?

sorry, out of luck.. there not going to do anything for original umd games, it's digital only or through the new "format".

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Stevetry said:
They're still looking for a solution, but it's not that necessary, people still have their PSP's.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
The Living Shadow said:
Stevetry said:

sorry, out of luck.. there not going to do anything for original umd games, it's digital only or through the new "format".

thanks Sony for making me waist money
Well, if you're like me, you'd keep your current PSP and save up to get the NGP.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony, Sony, Sony... Backwards compatibility is one of your greatest assets in a new handheld (or console). Not many people are gonna be able to enjoy the launch mainly because they probably won't have the money...

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hikaru said:
Stevetry said:
The Living Shadow said:
Stevetry said:

thanks Sony for making me waist money
Well, if you're like me, you'd keep your current PSP and save up to get the NGP.

but i dont want to carry two handhelds they should let us trade our UMD for the digital games

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
but i dont want to carry two handhelds they should let us trade our UMD for the digital games
Well, it's kind of like the PSP Go scenario...

They might end up with some trade system, but it's highly unlikely. Sony isn't too fond of backwards compatibility nowadays.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Stevetry said:
They're still looking for a solution...

Bullshit.

This is exact same lie that Sony and their fanboys told people before the launch of the PSP Go.

The only way to get your old PSP games on your PSP2 is to buy them all over again, and at a price that is substantially above retail.

Just like the PSP Go.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Can someone tell me as to WHY Sony makes Backwards Compatibility so damn hard?

Simple answer.

The company mistakenly thinks there's no money in Backwards Compatibility.

Meanwhile BC helped drive the PS2 to massive success. (Among other factors.) PS2 BC really hurt the competition and it really helped the PS2, which for the first two years of its life had a complete shit game library.

Now Sony will sell you HD versions of PS2 games in collection because that's a lot more profitable than supporting PS2 BC.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SPH73 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Simple answer.

Meanwhile BC helped drive the PS2 to massive success. (Among other factors.) PS2 BC really hurt the competition and it really helped the PS2, which for the first two years of its life had a complete shit game library.

Now Sony will sell you HD versions of PS2 games in collection because that's a lot more profitable than supporting PS2 BC.

So basically they're dicks.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Simple answer.

What he said. They think that Bc won't make them any money. Though I bought my ps3 with hopes of BC because my older ps2 broke. Instead I had to buy whole other ps2 because of no BC.

Posts merged

ShadowSoldier said:
SPH73 said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Feb 2 2011, 11:20 PM)

Simple answer.

So basically they're dicks.
In a way, yes.
rolleyes.gif

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ShadowSoldier said:
You can say the same for Nintendo (DSi).

At least Sony isn't know for making their consoles region locked.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
ShadowSoldier said:

How? Simply put dsi/ds game to 3DS, not so hard.

If you talking about gba then let me say it was just it time to go, it been hold up for a while unlike umds.

Irrelevant, plus I doesn't mean they wouldn't...

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
ShadowSoldier said:

If you talking about gba then let me say it was just it time to go, it been hold up for a while unlike umds.

It's not as simple as you think. Due to the fact that 3ds uses a different processing architecture than the DS it would need to emulate it. Just because a card fits the slot does not meant it works, it may be simple on the user and but it is an ass complicated process. Sony made a good decision by changing from the UMD format to the card system, but they have to do shit like this to get around it. UMD was a pretty shitty system, and if they want to keep it, it would make this system even larger than it already is.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
ShadowSoldier said:

But it was (GBA) the exacly motive that I didn't buy a DSi (and never will).

UMD was a fail, even Sony knows that. There's no reason for them to still try to support it. If people wants to play the games they had, they can just play them on their PSP's, it's not like Sony is banning whoever still uses it.

BC is just a bonus. The console HAS BC (with PSP/PSN games).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
It's not as simple as you think. Due to the fact that 3ds uses a different processing architecture than the DS it would need to emulate it. Just because a card fits the slot does not meant it works, it may be simple on the user and but it is an ass complicated process. Sony made a good decision by changing from the UMD format to the card system, but they have to do shit like this to get around it. UMD was a pretty shitty system, and if they want to keep it, it would make this system even larger than it already is.
It may be simple on the user - and that what I mean, Sony unlike Nintendo is making it harder on the user.

I agree UMD was bad, I guess it really need to be change to the cost of bc *sigh*...

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Feb 2 2011, 11:12 PM) But it was (GBA) the exacly motive that I didn't buy a DSi (and never will).

UMD was a fail, even Sony knows that. There's no reason for them to still try to support it. If people wants to play the games they had, they can just play them on their PSP's, it's not like Sony is banning whoever still uses it.

BC is just a bonus. The console does HAVE BC (with PSP/PSN games). IK
Yea, I mean the 3DS is coming out. But isn't that the same as saying because gba I wouldn't get the 3DS or because UMD I'm not getting PSP2?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing