Sony taken to court over PS3 'Other OS' removal

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going with raul here. It's pretty shitty to remove an advertised feature, but to do so at the threat of an unreleased and unexplained threat? Really now...

I mean, honestly, how many PS3 owners here seriously use OtherOS? I still think it's bullshit that they removed it, but I don't see why people are getting so angry now.

Sony should at least offer compensation like some points or whatever for the PSN or a new, free feature to download.

Majroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guize, I know an exploit in the XMB. Now I can install CFW! Oh my, what did sony do? They removed the XMB because someone said he can install CFW in the XMB!?

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
Majroa said:
Guize, I know an exploit in the XMB. Now I can install CFW! Oh my, what did sony do? They removed the XMB because someone said he can install CFW in the XMB!?

You shouldn't say things like that. If Sony remove the GameOS now, i'm holding you responsible.
mad.gif

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's an argument, pirates would remain low on the ps3 cus of other os. Think about it. Most honest hackers, hack a system to gain features not included by defult. With the other os, you could play emutalors, use codec not included with the game os and broswer the internet. No real need to hack the game os, unless you were pirating. Geoshot exploit he's working on is to unlock the limitations of other os. If sony would of lifted some of these limts rather than remove otherOS, they could of had more people wanting to use otherOS. Possibly increased sales for them.

I was concidering getting a ps3 phat for otheros to use emu on. I was waiting for the emuts to get further along in devolpment first. Now instead of getting a ps3, I'll go back in get a ps2 instead. With the exception of 1 or 2 games, i have all the high end games already on xb360 to play. Yes, otherOS, game emu and free online would of been enough to stop me from buying more 360 games.

Sony I'll buy a ps3 if you either add the otherOS back, or gave us your own varition of andriod 2.1 (with furture updates) to work with.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never used the OtherOS on my PS3 but what Sony did is WRONG.
Its like Nintendo removing the SD option for Wii cause thats how you can softmod it.
mellow.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
gave us your own varition of andriod 2.1 (with furture updates) to work with.
there not gonna magically get rid of their xmb and put a cell phone os on it
ie: never gonna happen

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I understand that Sony may have felt that they were nipping something in the bud here (they say in their end user liscence agreement that they can make abrupt changes to combat piracy) but geohot's exploit isn't piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro