Sony taken to court over PS3 'Other OS' removal

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you can be pissed all you want the fact is they made it so they decide what can and can't be done on it. and people are forgetting the ps3 is NOT a computer!

it just does everything....except run linux
laugh.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bladexdsl said:
you can be pissed all you want the fact is they made it so they decide what can and can't be done on it.
What? Are you serious? This is OUTRIGHT stealing.

They don't have any right anymore on their product, after it's sold.

I've paid for it, and that makes it legally MINE now, and if I want to remove something from it, it has to be MY choice to do it.

Onthe other hand, it's their right to stop servicing online features to you, since you're actually using THEIR servers, doing that. Still that doesn't let them remove features on YOUR machine.

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Apr 30 2010, 05:21 PM) and people are forgetting the ps3 is NOT a computer!

it just does everything....except run linux
laugh.gif
It has been marketed as a feature for it.

If your DSi wouldn't run DS games anymore, and only let you use its cameras, would still think "Hey, this is Nintendo's, after all! Who cares that I've got screwed off!"?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
raulpica said:
I've paid for it, and that makes it legally MINE now, and if I want to remove something from it, it has to be MY choice to do it.
it might be YOURS but it's still sony's system menu/os and bios and they have the right to change whatever the hell they want in it. the console is yours yes but not the system menu the same goes for windows m$ can add and remove any features from it with updates cos it's their design your paying to USE it. now if it was hardware it's entirely a different matter.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bladexdsl said:
raulpica said:
it might be YOURS but it's still sony's system menu/os and bios and they have the right to change whatever the hell they want in it. the console is yours yes but not the system menu the same goes for windows m$ can add and remove any features from it with updates cos it's their design your paying to USE it.
You might like to read some legal books out there.

I've paid for a license. It's my RIGHT to use the PS3's OS.

They can't remove features like that. ESPECIALLY IF THERE'S NO PLAUSIBLE JUSTIFICATION FOR IT.

Remember Palladium and how it went down the drain?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bladexdsl said:
raulpica said:
Remember Palladium and how it went down the drain?
what in the hell are you talking about?
Uuuh, Google?
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

It was a DRM system that let Microsoft and other associates decide what you could install on your PC and whatsnot. And delete pirated things from remote.

Obviously, it was a legal failure, and MS couldn't actually do it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
UltraMagnus said:
They advertised a feature, they should not have removed it. If you bought a smartphone and then they removed the feature of making phone calls, I am sure you would be pissed.

The fact is that the main reason some people bought the PS3 was because it could run Linux, and sony removed that feature.
Bad analogy. No matter the case, the Other OS feature is not a major one of the PS3 whilst making phone calls on a phone is... rather major.

If you buy a gaming console to do things that your computer can already do, that's your waste of money and stupidity.

Yes, Sony removing one of their advertised features is a 'bad' thing, but considering how more than 3/4 of all PS3 users haven't even realized this Other OS feature was present, this whole deal is seriously going overboard like how ChaosBoi said.

It doesn't really matter if its major or minor. That is a relative term. What is important to me may not be to you. His analogy is correct.

What if Nintendo removes Gamecube support from the Wii? I'd be pissed and its "not that important" because a used gamecube is like $30 bucks right? Same deal here. If you make a machine, and its does something, you have NO right to force users to remove that to have full access to all features of the console. Updating to play online is really stupid too. everyone should just start using cinco brand products. like the cinco urinal shower system.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
VashTS said:
What if Nintendo removes Gamecube support from the Wii?
can't be done cos it's built into the hardware remember how i said hardware again. companies can say what you can and can't do on their consoles doesn't always work though like nintendo and their 4.2 anti piracy fix
tongue.gif
if sony says you can't use this anymore they have the right to remove it even if they put it in there in the 1st place. and remember the ps3 is not marketed as a computer linux is not essential for the ps3 to run it is an extra and extras can be added and removed anytime.

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
VashTS said:
can't be done cos it's built into the hardware remember how i said hardware again. companies can say what you can and can't do on their consoles doesn't always work though like nintendo and their 4.2 anti piracy fix
tongue.gif
if sony says you can't use this anymore they have the right to remove it even if they put it in there in the 1st place. and remember the ps3 is not marketed as a computer linux is not essential for the ps3 to run it is an extra and extras can be added and removed anytime.
You fail so many times. Even though Gamcube support is built into the hardware, it needs software for it to work and that can be removed and secondly the PS3 was given OtherOS support so that it could be classed as a computer and was to keep import costs down.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'm wasting my time trying to explain it this thread is full of too many ps3 whores!

the dumbass is gonna lose big on this one and end up paying sony millions

--- end of line ---

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
i'm wasting my time trying to explain it this thread is full of too many ps3 whores!

the dumbass is gonna lose big on this one and end up paying sony millions

--- end of line ---
Straight from a Nintendo fanboy. You make posts like this in every PS3 thread. How the hell would he end up paying THEM? A counter-suit? I doubt they'd even bother, and it'd be a flimsy case regardless.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
VashTS said:

Except that in some cases, the PS3 was markted as a computer. There are those (including some companies and organizations) which bought it expressly for that purpose. Sony doesn't have the right to remove an advertised feature for no reason.

Why do you think some EU residents have already received a partial refund (other than the EU seeming to have better consumer protection laws than the US)?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
They can't remove features like that. ESPECIALLY IF THERE'S NO PLAUSIBLE JUSTIFICATION FOR IT.
except there was

geohat (the person who cracked the iphone 3g) released numerous statements saying he was working on custom firmware
then video's and photo's showed up
he then proceeded to tell people it would take advantage of the the otheros feature

and there is the justification, I could see if it was some no name hacker but he already released hacks for other devices on the market

they then removed it and geohat in a fit of rage said sony would pay for what they have done telling everybody not to update their system until he released his custom firmware

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
raulpica said:
except there was

geohat (the person who cracked the iphone 3g) released numerous statements saying he was working on custom firmware
he then proceeded to tell people it would take advantage of the the otheros feature

and there is the justification, I could see if it was some no name hacker but he already released hacks for other devices on the market

they then removed it and geohat in a fit of rage said sony would pay for what they have done telling everybody not to update their system until he released his custom firmware

You can't use pirates as an excuse for removing features from a device which can also be used quite legitimately and legally.

Similarly, Sony was (legally) in the wrong when it released its rootkit-laden audio CDs. Yeah, there are people that pirate music... but that isn't a justification for crippling the use of audio CDs for everyone else.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Joe88 said:
raulpica said:
except there was

Geohot still has to prove a single thing. There's no freaking exploit out there, and you CAN'T OUTRIGHT REMOVE OtherOS just because some kiddie on the internets said that he has cracked your system.

You FREAKING patch the holes, if there were any. Not remove the function entirely.

And I'm pretty sure that it was in their plans a long time ago to remove Linux (just see the PS3Slim). They probably thought that it'd be funny to make Geohot a scapegoat.
And the even funnier thing is that they guy believes that it was because of him.

acturus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
if people don't want to lose the option, then they don't have to update. it's their choice to go online or have their worthless 'other os' OPTION. some people are just too big of babies to deal with choices.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Before *I* Get called a PS3 whore. I don't even own one.

First of all, it was an advertised feature. Second of all, it was a feature that came right out of the box.

Taking away the otherOS no matter how minor is taking away a feature that came with the PS3, and was advertised as one of thier main features.
To take that away is illegal. This would be the equivalent of me breaking into your house and removing your VHS player while you already have a DVD player, keeping you from watching VHS tapes.

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
acturus said:
if people don't want to lose the option, then they don't have to update. it's their choice to go online or have their worthless 'other os' OPTION. some people are just too big of babies to deal with choices.

It's not just online we're talking about here. Soon enough, newer games are going to require an update to work, so even if I don't use the PSN i've either got to lose the OtherOS feature or lose the ability to play the new game that I just bought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8