Sony taken to court over PS3 'Other OS' removal

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010
  1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    [​IMG]
    Source

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

And they very well should be.

3. Gunmaster51

Newcomer Gunmaster51 Advanced Member

Canada
    It was wrong for Sony to remove this feature when they advertised it while selling their ps3s. I understand if they take it out of the newer models and tell everyone that they don't support it anymore but they don't have a right to take something back that they already sold. Next thing we know they could be taking B/C out of older ps3's if someone figures out how to play modded ps2 games on them.

4. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Seriously, I think people are going overboard with this whole Other OS removal issue. Although I have never used Linux on my PS3 before, I know for sure I won't miss it. I've heard numerous claims that it's really limited in some areas and not worth using. If people just want to keep it for the exploit, surely another one can be found in due time. Or, they can just get a new PS3 to update while keeping your old one from being updated.

5. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    The point is some people paid the $599 for the ps3 and had to suffer through so much crap until it got better. Then sony removes a feature. Also it made for a good backup computer. If someone wanted the could also practice programming for cell processing. Telling people to get a new ps3 isn't helpful either because it tells sony by removing features they can sell more ps3s.

6. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Lucky EU consumers, not having to resort to time-consuming lawsuits to settle these kind of issues.

But still, more power to the people attempting to bring Sony to task over this. I'm not a PS3 owner myself, but I'd be pissed off if I were and they stripped existing features away (for no reason) after I'd paid good money for it.

7. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    How exactly did they suffer? For $599 at the time, they got a very good deal for a blu-ray player. I and others I know enjoyed ours plenty before the system even started getting good games. Although I agree that it was stupid of Sony to remove something without giving something else to compensate for it, it's still not worth being angry over a removed feature that not many people used to begin with. As for practice programing for a cell processor, there weren't many who was even doing that when the feature was still there. There have only been like, 2-3 Linux distributions that even uses the cell processor as far as I know. And even then, you can't really do much with them on the PS3 either. The Other OS partition is limited to only about 10GB (Though I don't know about external storage devices) and you can't really access certain things relating to hardware, from what I've heard at least. For the last part, at least you can have the Other OS feature on one and be able to play online on the other. Otheriwise, pick one over the other.

8. purplesludge

United States
    Yes the other os is limited but it still allowed for many things to be done such as open office, pidgin, and firefox to name a few. No it wasn't some a replacement for a computer but it did work as a backup computer and IIRC Sony did receive tax benefits because they sold it as a "PC".

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    They advertised a feature, they should not have removed it. If you bought a smartphone and then they removed the feature of making phone calls, I am sure you would be pissed.

The fact is that the main reason some people bought the PS3 was because it could run Linux, and sony removed that feature.

10. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    I've never actually used OtherOS (bought a Slim) so I can't say I care too much, but hell, all power to him and it might be nice to have it back.

11. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Bad analogy. No matter the case, the Other OS feature is not a major one of the PS3 whilst making phone calls on a phone is... rather major.

If you buy a gaming console to do things that your computer can already do, that's your waste of money and stupidity.

Yes, Sony removing one of their advertised features is a 'bad' thing, but considering how more than 3/4 of all PS3 users haven't even realized this Other OS feature was present, this whole deal is seriously going overboard like how ChaosBoi said.

12. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

File Case on the Court

well the problem is, that over 1million consumers who "payed" the otherOS feature is a bighit you know. And i think judges wont pass this away that easily

And before I brought my console i see it on their website that PS3 is "More than a Gaming Console, its actually a PC" so it actually amazed me, but suddenly removing it? WTF! that they were thinking. But come on they must not remove such feature if it is intended to advertised with the product.

13. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    OK, so what exactly can you do with Linux on the PS3? Since it was so limiting in what hardware it allowed access to, isn't it just more of a "I have Linux on my PS3, durr-hurr" sort of thing anyway?

Was it really useful for anything other than bragging rights?

14. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Since Sony did this, I heard their slogan changed to, "It only doesn't do Other OS".

I wasn't really a user of the Other OS, I guess I was just uninterested when I heard that it doesn't use any of the Sony hardware, such as GPU and all that.

15. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Allowed some emulators and other things

16. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

@Rayder

please dont ask question if you really not fond with linux, since i use my PS3 in linux more mostly since i use PDAxROM multimedia USB boot.. i can play mkv's that gameOS cant do

and such more anyway, and right i payed this console for almost 599$ then they removing such feature? that will pissed me off, unless they make a refund for what i payed to.

If you got a Slim, then you wont really dont mind the firmware update, but for me its a big nono...

and btw.. we used 3.15 on my company that i worked on (4 PS3's) act as a web server, firewall and file server on our company, all of them are 80gb SKU with BC, then they removing some BS feature, well then we want a refund for that useless console right now. (we prefer PS3 as our servers because they can beat 4x power of Core i7 on web server tasks, because of 3million FLOPS that it can process)

"for me PS3 is not only for kids, its also for developers"

@Cablephish

i heared that someone is making a driver already, (thanks to geohot for this) we can use 3d, but i hope that they didnt crushed their hopes because of what sony done for their firmwares.

17. purplesludge

United States
    Basically anything that can be done in linux with a powerful processor instead of a gpu.

18. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    this

very basic though, around GBA and such

everything was mostly blocked in the first placed and very big limitations were put on it,

but now everybody suddenly thinks they need it because it got removed + custom firmware was said to be possible using this feature
    if this whole custom firmware business was never unveiled then no one would give a cr@p, except for the 3 actually people who use linux

19. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    oh noz sony took out the only exploit that could be used to allow pirating let's take them to court! dumbass is gonna lose big on this one and end up paying sony millions [​IMG]

20. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'd not be too sure about that. We're actually talking about diminishing the value of a product for no reason whatsoever.

What would you do, if HP or whatever big PC manufacturer out there issued a BIOS upgrade that wouldn't let you use Windows on your PC anymore?

I'd be pretty pissed off. Even if you all didn't use Linux, it was still a major selling point for the PS3, and many people and companies bought it for that.

Now it's time for Sony to pay. After all, removing OtherOS was totally stupid and unnecessary. It's not like Geohot really has something in his hands [​IMG]