Sony Shares Tumble to 31 Year Low Amid Record Losses - BBC

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony needs to FOCUS. They've spread themselves to far too many things, and it's starting to show. Games, music, televisions, everything... Sony's just got too much on their plate as a whole.

I also can't help but feel that this'll be used by too many people as some sort of 3DS vs Vita bait, which is a damn shame, since both handhelds have a lot of potential.

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclaw111

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If Sony and Ericsson's partnership didn't end so soon, they might have been able to make the Vita as a full-fledged gaming smartphone, kinda like how the Xperia Play does for the PSP. that would have been so much win, a smart phone with actual game buttons and dual analogs with monster specs.

also, they should start bundling their TVs with PS3s (or the other way around). this should help their ridiculously expensive TVs into actually churning out some sales. hell, they should release a TV with BUILT-IN PS2/PS3 capabilities. no other company has done that, nor thought of it. only Sony is currently in a position to actually try something crazy like that, and crazy might just be what they need. that could be their new Walkman. sure, it'd be expensive, but hey, built-in PS3? so much win.
Sony has been bundling PS3's with their TV's for a few years now in my country... Back since the PS3 was 599€, if you bought one of their 1000€ TV's, you'd get a free PS3, it was a pretty sweet deal back then, they still have those deals, now with some 3D TV's I think? (I'm talking about in my country).

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If Sony and Ericsson's partnership didn't end so soon, they might have been able to make the Vita as a full-fledged gaming smartphone, kinda like how the Xperia Play does for the PSP. that would have been so much win, a smart phone with actual game buttons and dual analogs with monster specs.

also, they should start bundling their TVs with PS3s (or the other way around). this should help their ridiculously expensive TVs into actually churning out some sales. hell, they should release a TV with BUILT-IN PS2/PS3 capabilities. no other company has done that, nor thought of it. only Sony is currently in a position to actually try something crazy like that, and crazy might just be what they need. that could be their new Walkman. sure, it'd be expensive, but hey, built-in PS3? so much win.
Sony has been bundling PS3's with their TV's for a few years now in my country... Back since the PS3 was 599€, if you bought one of their 1000€ TV's, you'd get a free PS3, it was a pretty sweet deal back then, they still have those deals, now with some 3D TV's I think? (I'm talking about in my country).

You are correct. They also had those same deals over here in america also, but because of the fact that they bundled their PS3s with the 3DTVs, and at the time there were like only 2-3 games on the system that actually supported it all, people felt that it wasn't worth it.

I hope Sony can get it together though, as their past products were not that bad, just that they were overpriced and not properly advertised to the average consumer (the middle class consumer).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think Sony even just released some headphones that sell for over $800. No one's going to fucking buy them because it's too ridiculous of a price, regardless of how good they are. Sony just doesn't get it.
$800 dollar headphones aren't really even targeted at the normal consumer. Same goes to high-end audio devices in general. Hell I just bought 2.1 set for my TV and payed about 2200€ ($3000?) for it. I could have got a 5.1 system for about 1/20 of the price, but it's not the device (ie. 2.1 vs 5.1) that defines the price and what can be asked for it. Also Sony does make cheaper headphones ($20) too..

We had some deals like "buy any Sony TV and get a PS3 + game for 69€" for quite a while. I'd have bought it if I hadn't bought a PS3 a year ago to replace my brother's PS3. If I'd had a bit more money at the time, I'd have bought a 46" or 55" Sony TV (via a friend's store) and a PS3 to boot for giggles :P

I see the problem with Sony, but it's a bit global in the electronics business. Just look at Apple (almost bankrupt in early 2000's, now one of the most highly valued companies) or Nokia (one of the early 2000's highly valued electronic company, now lost quite a bit of it's market share/value). Only the future will show what will happen. Nothing is set in stone in this market and especially in this time. Hopefully they provide us with great products :)

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
yes they have been having trouble since the hack of PSN. I think they dont need to change their company or worker structure but rather change their business strategy and approach.

nintendo has been having problems for years and yet they have been some way coming out safe.

one of their main problem IMHO is cost or price of their products. nowadays unless ur apple (and hence have made a ridiculously big name for yourself) you cant just sell any product at a high price.

but they are already experienced enough to know this. sometimes just sometimes, you have to give more to receive more. when sony become generous after the hack with free games and stuff, i feel they just might have gotten better in those few months.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like the number of people here who illustrate zero business knowledge.

Overall, I can't say I'm suprised. Shit like this happens when you're losing money every year. They certainly need to have a complete restructure how much they want to do, though I'm pretty sure Kaz Hirai's statement of intent when he became head honcho of Sony effectively stated this.

Reactions: 1 person

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
karma is a bitch aye $ony?
burnsexcellentstickera.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The thing with Sony is that the company's present in numerous sectors of the industry wheras GBATemp users should probably limit their interest to Sony's involvement in gaming.

Their shares tumble because they make quality hardware - hardware not everyone can afford nowadays, especially when there are cheaper alternatives. As much as I'd like to own a Bravia, a Samsung is simply "sufficient", it's similar with many other products of theirs. They need new lines of hardware - affordable and functional hardware, to put it bluntly.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way Sony™ can be saved is if the Playstation Vita™ gets a hack and a price-cut, it will then become the most successful handheld in history.
C'mon Sony, release a firmware update with a bug in it :creep:

I'll say it again, a hack won't do anything at all. The minority are the ones who pirate, and no one gives a crap about homebrew. That percentage is even smaller than the ones who pirate. And there's STILL not any games worth pirating.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
The only way Sony™ can be saved is if the Playstation Vita™ gets a hack and a price-cut, it will then become the most successful handheld in history.
C'mon Sony, release a firmware update with a bug in it :creep:

I'll say it again, a hack won't do anything at all. The minority are the ones who pirate, and no one gives a crap about homebrew. That percentage is even smaller than the ones who pirate. And there's STILL not any games worth pirating.
I think people will rather pirate their games instead of paying $60+ for them.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm..Does this mean that they'll be a price drop in Sony's TVs and PS3s?

Or does it mean the opposite?

Probably not the PS3s but the TV division is seriously fucked, god knows what they'll do with that.

Is it a good time to pick up some cheap TVs from Sony?

My house only has 1 HDTV, then I have 2 CRTs and an analog flatscreen. It's time to upgrade..

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the number of people here who illustrate zero business knowledge.

Business to GBAtempers:
  1. Losing money and you're Nintendo? It's a "transitional period"
  2. Losing money and you're not Nintendo? You're doing a shit job!

Well maybe because for a long time it was
  1. Losing money and you're Nintendo? DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
  2. Losing money and you're not Nintendo? *Looks the other way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.