Sony PlayStation 5 Showcase: September event - price and release date confirmed

Today is the day, or so we hope. Sony is airing their latest PlayStation Showcase event that, hopefully, finally, gives us the PlayStation 5 launch date and retail price. Considering that Microsoft already revealed both of those bits of information for their next-gen console, it can only be expected that Sony would do the same. Only time will tell if this is the event we've been waiting for. Catch the livestream, which kicks off at 1pm PDT/9pm BST, and lasts for 40 minutes, giving us "one more look" at what the PlayStation 5 will offer.

Live Coverage

The first game's footage is captured on PC emulating the PS5 experience. Square Enix.

It's a new Final Fantasy game. Action-based combat. A medieval-esque setting. Final Fantasy XVI. PlayStation console exclusive, will also launch on PC.

Now the rest of the games will be captured on actual PS5 hardware...

It's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. We get both cinematic and actual gameplay footage in this, where Miles faces off against new villains.

The Harry Potter RPG finally gets an official confirmation. Make your own story. Shape the future of the wizarding world. Hogwarts: Legacy, 2021.

Black Ops: Cold War gets some footage. This Friday, PS4 players get to try the multiplayer alpha for the game.

Resident Evil 8 coming 2021.

Arkane's Timeloop has a character-focused trailer that also gives us a better look at some of the gameplay elements, and how you'll be taking down the targets you're tasked with killing. Q2 2021. PlayStation and PC.

Devil May Cry 5 is getting a special edition on PS5. Available on launch.

Oddworld is next with Oddworld Soulstorm, featuring bigger worlds and more obstacles to overcome.

Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach revealed. Nothing more than that.

Demon's Souls begins the hype train anew. Actual gameplay is featured in this trailer. Load times between fog gates are incredibly fast, almost instant.

Fortnite is a launch title.

PlayStation Plus Collection. Available for PS+ users, offers Final Fantasy 15, Fallout 4, God of War, Uncharted 4, and many other PlayStation 4 titles, including Bloodborne, access these games through backwards compatibility on PS5.

November 12 PS5 launch in most countries, the 19th everywhere else.

n3LgaeJ.png

God of War Ragnarok is teased at the end for 2021.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony tried so hard to price similar to Microsoft. I bet they had to scramble hard to not get butchered in the streets.

Reactions: Chary

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmmmmmmmm.
Not enough.
I'm not convinced of getting either console at launch.

No clear straightforward statement regarding how backwards compatibility would work (bombadildo has a point).

Nothing really interesting at launch.

I will have to lock my wallet so that consumerism doesn't get the best of me, but I think I should wait until things are clear some months into the next gen.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on the disk version but £359 for digital version is tempting even if it means missing out on cheap second hand disks.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gow sold it!
I'd place money on this eventually getting delayed. It's just for hype. No footage? Nothing? Just a logo? No way this hits 2021 IMO

Prices seem fair. £359 for digital for the specs you get is insane value but no way I'm losing out on swapping discs with friends + resale values. I'll be getting the disc version for sure.

As for the conference, I'm a bit disappointed personally. There are zero must have games for me so far.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I'd place money on this eventually getting delayed. It's just for hype. No footage? Nothing? Just a logo? No way this hits 2021 IMO

Prices seem fair. £359 for digital for the specs you get is insane value but no way I'm losing out on swapping discs with friends + resale values. I'll be getting the disc version for sure.

31st Dec 2021 release of GoW confirmed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'(