Sony hack losses.

youngrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terminator99 said:
I think SONY should give every user a free £50 to spend on PSN store on anything they want as soon as they fix this major problem.
hate2.gif

heres the problem with that psn is free to play online so your sol on the other hand if you had to pay to play online like xbox then yes you could say they should give you something in return

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
youngrex said:
heres the problem with that psn is free to play online so your sol on the other hand if you had to pay to play online like xbox then yes you could say they should give you something in return

So if it's free it's okay to sloppily handle personal data and misuse your customers trust?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
youngrex said:
terminator99 said:
I think SONY should give every user a free £50 to spend on PSN store on anything they want as soon as they fix this major problem.
hate2.gif

Sony aren't running those servers as a charity to gamers. They're run with the profit they make from games and systems, and in turn the online service increases the amount people are willing to pay for those products from Sony. You pay for the online service when you buy your consoles and games. Without being a Sony customer and giving them money you don't get to use PSN any more than someone who doesn't give money to MS can use XBL.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terminator99 said:
hate2.gif

Everyone wants something for nothing, right? Or are you making this demand because you want to kick them while they're down, ensuring that they don't get back up? There is no justification for your demand, at least not as it is currently stated. If you were a victim of fraud because of the attack, you might have a leg to stand on.

BlueStar said:
FireGrey said:
well they are idiot for saving their credit card info.

Just buy a $30 PSN card insteed of risking your credit card >.>

And what if the company you buy the PSN card from has an absolutely useless security policy as well and loses your card details? Oh, I guess you should go and withdraw some cash and buy it with paper money? What if the operator of the cashpoint hasn't done any background checking on the cheap company it used to make the machine and the factory workers installed code to steal your card details? Haha, stupid person for using a cashpoint or buying something with a credit card, right?

This idea that it's somehow the fault of customers for having this crazy notion that a large company should be able to keep a hold of their details without organised criminals getting their hands on them is utterly stupid. Unless you live in the woods trading berries and bearskins, in 2011 you cannot survive without some form of electronic money and your details being on the systems of companies you do business with. It is not unreasonable for companies to be expected to keep these details safe and be held accountable for when they don't.

Why not withdraw the cash directly from a teller at your own bank?

On the one hand, yes, companies should (and are, in fact - which is why this attack is news) responsible for keeping people's data safe. But on the other hand, the best way to ensure success in ANY venture, is to do it yourself - keep your credit card info safe by not entering it onto the network. If they didn't offer their prepaid cards, then using your own would be your only option, and people would have more room to bitch. But the fact is, there are plenty of ways to rely on yourself instead of Sony to protect your data.

QUOTE(Strider @ May 3 2011, 12:29 PM) QUOTE(youngrex @ May 3 2011, 05:20 PM)

So if it's free it's okay to sloppily handle personal data and misuse your customers trust?

How about, if it's free, you're getting what you pay for?

Or another way to look at it - whenever a customer isn't satisfied, they demand their money back for the service that disappointed them. So go demand your money back for your subscription to the network - the check wouldn't be worth the cost of the paper it's printed on, so you'll be paid - INSTANTLY - in cash
wink.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Styles420 said:
Why not withdraw the cash directly from a teller at your own bank?

Why should you have to? What if the teller is corrupt and empties your bank account, your fault for using the teller?

Never mind credit card details, what if someone applies for a credit card in your name with your personal details and blackens your credit rating, even though you've not put your card details on? Guess you shouldn't even play online games if you don't want that to happen? Stop trying to shift the blame, people can't live their lives in a box.

QUOTE said:
But the fact is, there are plenty of ways to rely on yourself instead of Sony to protect your data.

Enter a false name and address maybe, and see if Sony are fine with that?

How about, if it's free, you're getting what you pay for?

How about you read my post above? How about the money Sony makes from running its online service, from the developers who pay to market their games/movies etc to YOU, the, consumer, which they pay Sony for with the money they get from YOUR pocket? The consoles and online games that would not have been bought if it wasn't for the online aspect? Again, stop talking as if Sony run PSN as a personal favour to the people whose data they've lost. They run it for the same reason they run any other part of their business, because it brings them in money.

Facebook, google, your email provider, a lot of services are "free" - more free than Sony, which requires you to buy their games and hardware to use it, as well as be bombarded with adverts for the games and servicves you can buy through it. It's fine for these companies to lose your data, and if they do there shouldn't be any consequences because you 'get what you pay for' and there's no money to be refunded anyway, in spite of the fact they make billions from these services they provide?

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"put some more Millions in securing your stuff before you start a war"
sony is disrespectfull to all his consumers, they try to make it the consumers fault to trust sony?? thats sick man

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh WOW!. This is... This is... Epic FAIL!!! If this continues, they could go down. Something tells me that this is not a coincidence... Someone's out to get them...
Even though I'm not a Sony fanboy, I never expected that one of the most powerful companies in the world would be subject to hacking and cyber-attacks. This is NOT a good year for Sony.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
FireGrey said:
Everyone is saying that Sony is handling it so poorly and saying that it will have major damage on their reputation and "could be the end of sony".
Well most the PS3 fans are just like "Oh damn when will PSN come back on i wanna play some CoD".
And everyone would of fergotten all about this in a month.
A few weeks of no PSN isn't too bad.
the credit card people?
Hey let me use your retort against you.

Why don't you buy an xbox 360 and a live account to play cod online while psn's down?
well "they are idiot" for saving cod data on ps3.

You'd probably miss the point on this post if I left it at that, so:
Just because something suits your personal circumstances, doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
FireGrey said:

And what if the company you buy the PSN card from has an absolutely useless security policy as well and loses your card details? Oh, I guess you should go and withdraw some cash and buy it with paper money? What if the operator of the cashpoint hasn't done any background checking on the cheap company it used to make the machine and the factory workers installed code to steal your card details? Haha, stupid person for using a cashpoint or buying something with a credit card, right?

This idea that it's somehow the fault of customers for having this crazy notion that a large company should be able to keep a hold of their details without organised criminals getting their hands on them is utterly stupid. Unless you live in the woods trading berries and bearskins, in 2011 you cannot survive without some form of electronic money and your details being on the systems of companies you do business with. It is not unreasonable for companies to be expected to keep these details safe and be held accountable for when they don't.
You are exaggerating too much...
It's not like Sony has been completely useless in this situation.
Imagine if it were Nintendo in their position (which releases a new firmware like every 3 months
tongue.gif
)
And I think you are using this as an excuse to troll sony.
I were a nintendo fanboy who hated the PS3 before, but then i got one and it's lots of fun.
A few weeks of no PSN down doesn't meen NO PSN ON PS3.
It just meens PSN isn't available for a few weeks >.>

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:

And I think you simply don't understand how negligent they are, and you're guilty of projection. Maybe your average kid only cares about not being able to play games, but I don't think Sony's userbase, or the courts, are going to be so forgiving.

As for "But it's freeeee", as well as the posts I made above about how it's not actually free, why do you think people were putting their credit card details in? Because they were buying stuff, stuff that wasn't 'free' from Sony's service.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
FireGrey said:

And I think you simply don't understand how negligent they are, and you're guilty of projection. Maybe your average kid only cares about not being able to play games, but I don't think Sony's userbase, or the courts, are going to be so forgiving.

As for "But it's freeeee", as well as the posts I made above about how it's not actually free, why do you think people were putting their credit card details in? Because they were buying stuff, stuff that wasn't 'free' from Sony's service.
But the 'payed' stuff can still be used.
It's not like they are missing out on PAYED services.
It's just that they cannot buy anything while PSN is down.
Anyway it's pretty pathetic to just go on this thread to attack sony.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY