Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

According to IGN, Sony is forming a Anti-Piracy Program.

To quote:

"Two new job listings posted on SCEA’s website reveal the company is getting serious about PlayStation 3 software piracy.

Sony is looking for a new Senior Corporate Counsel and a Senior Paralegal for Anti-Piracy and Brand Protection. The main responsibilities include “assessing annual SCEA corporate anti-piracy needs and addressing the needs through developing and implementing an anti-piracy program.”

“The program to be developed will require a strong strategic online component (taking input from and working with SCEA Marketing, SCEA Strategic Business Development Latin America and SCEA Product Development),” the listing reads.

The jobs also require “collaborating with other anti-piracy organizations, including those of affiliated Sony Computer Entertainment companies, Sony Corporation and the videogame industry’s trade association, the Entertainment Software Association.”

Other responsibilities ask for “overseeing anti-piracy civil lawsuits and providing support to law enforcement and intellectual property agencies on behalf of SCEA.” Additionally, one of the requirements is having “knowledge of online investigative practices and online databases (e.g. how to find owner, administrator, ISP associated with a given domain name, etc.)”

Sony recently took famed iPhone hacker George Hotz to court after he and another group of hackers unlocked the PlayStation 3?s security and later published the data online. Since then, homebrew applications to run pirated software have hit the net, and one of Sony’s major first-party titles, Killzone 3, was reportedly leaked two weeks before its release.

Last Wednesday, the company issued a statement saying those caught using pirated software will have their console banned permanently from PlayStation Network.

“Circumvention devices and game piracy damage our industry and can potentially injure the online experience for you, our loyal PlayStation customers, via hacks and cheats,” Sony stated. “By identifying PlayStation 3 systems that breach our guidelines and terminating their ability to connect to PlayStation Network, we are protecting our business and preserving the honest gameplay experiences that you expect and deserve.”
[/p]

Source 1
Source 2

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And this week on "Everybody Hates Sony", Sony goes RIAA on yo ass!

OT: I saw a news story this morning about Somalian pirates brutally torturing and killing some travelers for their money, while U.S. destroyer ships were very near by... - why the f*ck can't We all try to catch them instead of kids that downloaded killzone 3 illegaly?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Am i the only one that like what they are doin
tongue.gif

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Am i the only one that like what they are doin
tongue.gif

I like what they're doing too!

It's best for Sony to crack down on this now and show some effort towards it.
Online gaming can be ruined for many gamers if there is cheating involved.
Plus i love playing online games on the PS3.

Shame about Homebrew though, that is the only positive thing about anything being hacked - customising and playing old-skool games you paid for many years ago on an updated system that's still plugged into your electricity output. (i kept all my old consoles, but i prefer to keep them in the box these days).

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Of course, they're going to lump together "piracy" and "cheating" with "homebrew".

so much for "Homebrew" on the PS3 anyway.

I like how though they don't tackle the issue in the first place, that being in the PS3 itself, there was reason why it was "hacked" so to say, should employ more security analysts and stuff. Anti-Piracy groups or whatever it is means NOTHING when the system is already compromised.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
RupeeClock said:
Of course, they're going to lump together "piracy" and "cheating" with "homebrew".

so much for "Homebrew" on the PS3 anyway.

I like how though they don't tackle the issue in the first place, that being in the PS3 itself, there was reason why it was "hacked" so to say, should employ more security analysts and stuff. Anti-Piracy groups or whatever it is means NOTHING when the system is already compromised.
They are going about this whole situation all wrong.

The only thing Sony should be doing to rectify or at least slow down the effect of piracy on the PS3 is to give their customers back OtherOS. It doesnt have to be preinstalled on future consoles or next batch of PS3s, but at least put it in the form of downloadable content on PSN, like what they did with the PS2. That way, the people that want it for homebrew, can download it for free (cause technically they already paid for it because they bought it with the console, originally), and use it for HOMEBREW.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
if one were to look forward and speculate what could happen in the future, what would it be? is it tht sony finally win or block homebrew or otherwise piracy?
or is it tht sony will win partly but homebrew will remain?
or that homebrew will exist but in a hidden way and piracy will be dealt with harshly? its kinda a very strange thing tht we see so many measures in place for AP... they even beat ubi for this

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
shakirmoledina said:
if one were to look forward and speculate what could happen in the future, what would it be? is it tht sony finally win or block homebrew or otherwise piracy?
or is it tht sony will win partly but homebrew will remain?
or that homebrew will exist but in a hidden way and piracy will be dealt with harshly? its kinda a very strange thing tht we see so many measures in place for AP... they even beat ubi for this
The second option. Because devices for this purpose will remain to exist. The worst thing that could happen is that we woldn't see as many hacks on consoles and portables anymore.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that could be a superhero comic...

Sony AP-Team *dramatic voice* 'the AP, stands for ANTI-PIRACY!'

buy today to get your special sony ps3 secret decoder! oh wait, that's been leaked already.

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
And this week on "Everybody Hates Sony", Sony goes RIAA on yo ass!

OT: I saw a news story this morning about Somalian pirates brutally torturing and killing some travelers for their money, while U.S. destroyer ships were very near by... - why the f*ck can't We all try to catch them instead of kids that downloaded killzone 3 illegaly?

Because there's no money in it
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy