Sony confirms PS5 won't be backwards compatible with PS1, PS2, or PS3 games

download.jpg
Famitsu recently interviwed Playstion's CEO, Jim Ryan which was translated to English by Siliconera. In that interview, Ryan confirmed two things. First, the PlayStation 5 will have a 99% compatibility with all PlayStation 4 titles. Second, the PS5 will not have backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

This news makes it clear that remastered versions of the PS1/2/3 era games for the PS4 will still be playable on the PS5 via backwards compatibility with the PS4. However, the confirmation that backwards compatibility is limited to the PS4 may be upsetting to some, but it is likely not surprising. What classic PS1, PS2, or PS3 era games do you wish you were able to play on the PS5?

:arrow: Source

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me get my digital on PS4 at least sony. or i'm going support for a couple of years for this system ya jerks.

Reactions: Megadriver94

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well duh.. damn that was given. Only thing that surprises me is the 99% backwards compatability for ps4 games. I was expecting it to be alot lower. Also i wonder what the 1% is or is there even a 1% and they just put 99% to cover there ass if one out of the hundreds dont work

let me get my digital on PS4 at least sony. or i'm going support for a couple of years for this system ya jerks.
Theres a good question does your psn titles transfer over to ps5

Last edited by wartutor,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What classic PS1, PS2, or PS3 era games do you wish you were able to play on the PS5?
Hmmmm... well let's check my bad taste and nostalgia.

From PS1:
  • Deception 3
  • Wild Arms 1 and 2 (pure nostalgia here)
  • Perhaps Alundra, Xenogears and Chrono Cross
From PS2:
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Perhaps Xenosaga (would prefer a remake/remaster though)
From PS3:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
I believe that's it.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Chad PC gaming SCORNS and EVISCERATES the Virgin Sony with EMULATION, HAVING ACCESS TO MOST OF MICROSOFT'S EXCLUSIVES, NOT GOING FULL SJW ON GAMES MADE IN JAPAN, WHILE ALSO HAVING THE ORDER 1886 WITH THAT ONE SCENE, HAVING ACCESS TO EVERY NINTENDO LIBRARY EVER INCLUDING THE SWITCH, SAVAGE FACTS, MIC-DROP LOGIC, AND COMMON THUG LIFE SENSE!

OK this is epic

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can understand that they may have trouble with the PS3, but the other consoles can surely be done over time.

*laughs hysterically in RPCS3, which runs well on the very same CPU that's apparently supposed to be in the PS5*

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the same guy who also said in 2017:

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Too bad PS3 emulation is so bad.

For the rest? Eh my chipped PS2 still works.
Well, for everything else including PS3 my PC should work good enough.
My PS2 is probably still with my brother in Argentina, who knows if it works probably the HDD already died, and my PS1 died of overuse.
Emulation is good enough.... Not a purist.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This is the same guy who also said in 2017:

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Meanwhile Nintendo ported three old games to the Switch, a Nintendo 64 game, a Gamecube game and a Wii game and is selling them together.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, for everything else including PS3 my PC should work good enough.
My PS2 is probably still with my brother in Argentina, who knows if it works probably the HDD already died, and my PS1 died of overuse.
Emulation is good enough.... Not a purist.

HDD? I guess DVDs to burn have got a tad expensive. PS1 emulation has got to the point you can make PS1 game better than they were on the PS1 by adding graphics filters. PS2 emulation can run about 90% of the games quite well.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
HDD? I guess DVDs to burn have got a tad expensive. PS1 emulation has got to the point you can make PS1 game better than they were on the PS1 by adding graphics filters. PS2 emulation can run about 90% of the games quite well.
Well, if you happened to have a phat PS2 and a network adapter, why not go the HDD route.
It was just more comfortable back in the day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over