Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Time to bring out the ps2 classic and ruin it again. :ninja:

2. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Now in theaters:
    'No PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility'

From the people who brought you 'PS1 with an open-source emulator'.

Last edited by Axido, Sep 18, 2020
    nashismo likes this.
  3. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    i don't think ps2 is fit for the classic treatment, if you look at the best selling ps2 games (what one would expect from a classic system) it's mostly JRPGs and GTA, games that don't have the "play for an hour, then forget about it" feel of a classic system, though they most likely will remaster and remake so you have to buy again

4. oibaffus

oibaffus Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    That's actually wrong. This was shown before the first game (FF16), but after that, there was another disclaimer saying that from then on, everything was captured from the PS5.

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Yeah, I don't know actually how is it possible to miss the big banner after FF16 that stated "All cinematic and gameplay footage you are about to see from this point forward in the show has been captured from PlayStation 5 systems." that plays at 5:32 in the showcase.

oibaffus, Scott_pilgrim and wartutor like this.
  6. Attila13

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    I for one would love the God of War games, just so I could play them all on one console, without the hassle of connecting multiple consoles to one TV and all that. That's it.
    Sorry...many of you will disagree, I'm sure, but can't help it... I just love this franchise with or without their flaws. Yes, even Ascension, so come @ me. :lol: :rofl2:
    RDR would be a nice addition as well and the first inFamous series. The other ones were re-released for the PS4, so there's that...
    That's pretty much it...At least I don't really remember other ones.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    This was one of the primary reasons why I held on to my PS3's as the PS4 hit the shelves - all you really need is one HDMI-enabled machine and you have access to all of the PS1-3 library. The 5 fills the gap for 4-5, which is plenty.

Zense, DSwizzy, Xzi and 2 others like this.
  8. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Actually the price reveal and release date direct was quoted as all on the ps5 after the 1st game if im not mistaken

Edit ninja'd

Last edited by wartutor, Sep 18, 2020
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Well that was a console with DVD disc, so they had a lot more data for larger scale games. But then again, didn't stop them from having Final fantasy 7 or Metal gear solid on the psone classic. (least it wasn't legend of dragoon)

Of course I was joking though, they probably wouldn't be able to find a acceptable open source emulator to make a ps2 classic with... that would cost less than a real console to buy. :P

10. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    actually from what i've heard ff7 and mgs would fit in a single disc, if it wasnt for voices and cinematics, same with a lot of games actually

DSwizzy and Nobody_Important4u like this.
  11. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    99% of PS4 games? So, what's the 1% that doesn't work?

12. wonkeytonk

wonkeytonk Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You people are seriously complaining about this?.. Even if it did play PS1-3, there would be at least something about it that would make it less authentic than playing it on the original consoles.

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    that's all that matter than. for the rest go get an emulator

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    I am not really complaining about this, but in the other hand I couldn't care less about the """authentic feeling of playing it on the original consoles""" to be honest, I couldn't miss any less listening the loud seeking noise of a PS1 drive or having to delete save files to fit something else in a memory card... is that part of the authenticity I am missing?

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I have a feeling that they're saying that to cover themselves in the event of any unexpected compatibility issues. That, and some games required accessories by third-parties that may or may not work as intended on the 5, although I don't see why they wouldn't.

Nobody_Important4u likes this.
  16. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    most likely they cant be bothered to test every game so they say this just in case, just look at the original gameboy, it has two games only playable on the DMG, due to hardware quirks, no revision will play them

17. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Perhaps, but that's not what was sold to us. :P

I can also say the same for "Thall who should not be named" (devil may cry 2) But once again, we got two disc. Guess it's just more "Special" that way. Least people remember it more too. (I'm still talking about how mega man legacy collection is two disc, didn't have to be.) :ninja:

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  18. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    definitely, same with dead or alive ultimate for xbox, both discs are 99.99% the same, it's just that the text telling the xbox which program on a disc to load is different

19. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    This is something they could have done easily if they wanted to. It's just that they don't. And that's a shame for gamers that really enjoy playing the classics of their childhood/teens. I honestly think they are trying to create a new niche here and to sell exclusively games from the past 7 years that are worth more money. Hence the 99% compatibility with PS4 games, that can be sold for more than any PS3, PS2 or PSX games. It's all about profit, my friends! :teach:

But with the hacking/homebrew scene growing so fast nowadays, I'm sure there will be unofficial means to play games from the excluded consoles via emulation. :D

20. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Sony seeing that PSN titles PS1, PS2 and PS3 are selling very poorly, they decided to ignore those platforms.

Even on PS4 they never really cared to bring PS1 titles, although they have near perfect PS1 emulator found in Medievil game.

PoiRan likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - compatible, backwards, confirms