Sony confirms PS5 won't be backwards compatible with PS1, PS2, or PS3 games

download.jpg
Famitsu recently interviwed Playstion's CEO, Jim Ryan which was translated to English by Siliconera. In that interview, Ryan confirmed two things. First, the PlayStation 5 will have a 99% compatibility with all PlayStation 4 titles. Second, the PS5 will not have backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

Famitsu: We were also surprised when we heard that it will have 99% compatibility with PS4 titles. By the way, will there be compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles?

Jim Ryan: We keep in mind the engineering specialized for the PS5, as we produced the device. In the midst of that, the PS4 already has 100 million players; we thought they ought to want to play PS4 titles on the PS5 as well indeed, so we included compatibility with the PS4. While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

This news makes it clear that remastered versions of the PS1/2/3 era games for the PS4 will still be playable on the PS5 via backwards compatibility with the PS4. However, the confirmation that backwards compatibility is limited to the PS4 may be upsetting to some, but it is likely not surprising. What classic PS1, PS2, or PS3 era games do you wish you were able to play on the PS5?

:arrow: Source

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Aren't we discussing backwards compatibility?!

Quoted from link : "When we say backwards compatibility, it does not mean that PS5 will support games from PS3, PS2 or earlier."

My link has everything to do with the op's topic.

I see what you mean. Your link is basically falls shy in confirming what everybody else already knows and has been talking about for the past 15 pages. I thought you were trying to offer new information with an article whose title is pretty bait.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft has the deal of Game Pass Ultimate that bundles Xbox LIVE and Game Pass as one, so you pay one sub for both. Oh, and the EA Play has (or will) merged with Game Pass.

Meanwhile, users on PS5 will have to pay for three subs if they want all that (PS Plus, Now, EA Play). I hate to say it, but Microsoft is more consumer-friendly than SONY is.

Except PS Now, PS Plus, and EA Play can be bought together for less than Game Pass Ultimate. Regardless, your comparison was flawed to begin with. Of course Sony's should theoretically be priced higher. The difference in amount of titles available is HUGE.

It comes down to this.

Gold/Game Pass/EA Play - 100+ titles advertised for $15
PS Plus/PS Now/EA Play - 800+ titles advertised for $10.50

As you were saying???

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c