Sony already forcing updates on vita...

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Un4tural, Apr 29, 2012.

Apr 29, 2012
  1. Un4tural
    OP

Member Un4tural GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, so first application i encountered that forces update to 1.66FW is skype, i am on 1.61... strangely paint park doesn't require an update, which runs fine on 1.61 though both seem to have appeared on sony's store at roughly same time.

it seems to check version before app even starts as well, unlike PSN app which checks it when logging it i guess...

Anyone found a work-around for this maybe?

2. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Don't use skype. That seems like the most sensible solution here.

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If there was, it would have been posted. There are no Vita-mode tweaks, hacks or workarounds. at all. And when there is, you'll probably be one of the first to know about it.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I don't know why you wouldn't update.

This whole "waiting for a Vita exploit" thing is just gonna leave you out for the count for a while. Just update.

I can't think of any workaround except, I dunno, not connecting to the internet.

Also companies have been requiring mandatory updates since like forever.

5 people like this.
  5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I suggest burning the Vita as a potential work-around.

9 people like this.
  6. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    Don't listen to him. The best workaround is to send it to me so you won't have to be forced to update :creep:

1 person likes this.
  7. Sychophantom

Member Sychophantom I'm a plant.

United States
    Welcome to Sony.

2 people like this.
  8. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Welcome to every company with an online service.

11 people like this.
  9. Un4tural
    OP

Member Un4tural GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    lol, well as long as i don't have a good reason to update i wont, i can access ps store and get crap off there, skype would be nice for video chat with the front facing camera, but w/e i can just do it on my lappy. If they release a game i really want to play, sure ill update, but now... it is 5minutes not worth spending for what was it? an extra option for screen off timer? Please...

anyways sony deserves to get vita hacked... such great device, yet sony allows nothing done with it... they really need to get some CEO who isn't a stuck-up arse from china who wants to sue everyone who doesn't agree with them. at least put bloody android on it...

also lumines seem to have gone up in price -_- i remember seeing it for 16£ on amazon, darn it shoulda bought it then.

also, no need for flaming, sure it isn't nothing new, but i didn't expect them to force this within few months of release. I shall now go get a kebab and play some minecraft.

Have a good day :)

1 person likes this.
  10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    No, no company "deserves" to have their device hacked. Also, I'm not sure I get WHY you believe so. If it's because you think there's nothing on it such as games...it was JUST RELEASED. If it's because you think they don't allow you to do anything else than what they allow...It's not just Sony. All consoles, including the 3DS are closed devices by nature.

Also, no one is flaming you, people just don't get your odd attitude towards the Vita.

6 people like this.
  11. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    kinda racist.

4 people like this.
  12. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    Sony afterall took away other os and said to customers that they had a choice not to update which is a lie in itself, you update you loose other os, you don't update you cant go online, and access purchases that you paid for on the PSN store, cant play any new games that you have brought from the shops, cant sync trophies either but yeah sony says you have a choice while they take away a feature that early launch buyers paid for, now tell me do you see microsoft and nintendo doing such actions? Nah i didn't think so, don't even get me started on the vita's rediclious restrictions and drm.

sony deserves to be hacked end of story, they treat their customers like shite, tell them in the terms and conditions that they can't sue, take away features that people have paid for, online passes, redclious prices for ps3 games on the PSN store, shall i go on? there is no reason to be on sonys side.

1 person likes this.
  13. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Welcome to the shitty age of gaming, where you legally do not own your own consoles, have to buy half completed games for top dollar prices only to have to fork out again to get the rest via DLC, and are forced to compete against whiny brats on the interwebs.

I'm going retro!

6 people like this.
  14. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    I'm agree completely.

15. Guild McCommunist

United States
    OtherOS, aka the thing nobody really used and was only complained about when it was taken away. It was just a scapegoat for Sony haters to hate some more. I'd like to know every PS3 user here who actually extensively used OtherOS to the point that its removal was considered blasphemous.

You do realize if you don't update on like the Wii, Xbox 360, etc, that you can't access the online stores or the content you purchased from the store? Same with syncing achievements on Xbox Live (Wii doesn't have any).

Also, Vita's "DRM"? You mean you have to take 5 extra seconds to connect to the internet when transferring data? Oh no! Seriously, I've used the data manager thing and I don't give a fuck honestly. I still transfer my music over and it's fine. Plus if you have a computer but not an internet connection then I don't know what the fuck you're doing. I guess it's an issue if you have a shitty internet connection that craps out every five minutes but again, who gives a fuck.

A lot of people complain about Sony doing things that actual Sony owners don't care about. It's not because we're "blind Sony lovers", it's because it doesn't actually matter.

The only reason people nowadays bitch about necessary updates is because they're cheap pricks who want to pirate on the system, even when these updates add worthwhile features. Welcome to the digital age, deal with it.

16. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Thatz y u buy a 3dS. Ninty no forcez updaes.

17. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Only beef security wise I have with the Vita's setup is the new memory cards and I've long since bought a 16GB stick anyways. Everything else is to be expected at this point with an online system. After all, I seem to remember even Wii games requiring system updates. Sure you could work around them but that isn't the point here.

3 people like this.
  18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Dear diary,

TIL that the united states air force is "nobody".

~Rydian

... NO FUCKING DUH?

Give little Timmy an ice cream, is he going to complain? No, because he's got his damned ice cream.
    Take away the ice cream, is he going to complain? Yes, because he had an ice cream and now it's gone.

7 people like this.
  19. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Pretty sure the Air Force is more so just cannibalizing the PS3s instead of just hooking them all up and having them require updates and crap.

And yeah, I phrased the "complained about when taken away" part badly, I meant to say that people only complained that it was taken away despite the fact no one used. It was an excuse to complain more than a legitimate complaint.

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They were using them in a cluster as-is, and the issue is if one overheats or something, when they send it in for repair it comes back with the latest firmware and no OtherOS.

Lack of women's voting rights doesn't affect me, doesn't mean I can't bitch about.