Sonic Frontiers: World Premiere gameplay trailer

After teasing a first-look at Sonic Frontiers, IGN has revealed the world premiere gameplay showcase for the game. The 7-minute video sees Sonic traveling through an open world, sparsely decorated with things you'd expect to see in a Sonic game: rings, springs, and rails. There's a large tower ala typical other open world games, that Sonic can climb to the top of. There are puzzles to solve that can unlock new areas, as well. Sonic Frontiers will be out before the end of the year, with more gameplay scheduled to be shown next week.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...the game aims to be hollyday 2022...
Ohh that is gold... Why oh why wasn't the Andy Williams song spelt 'Happy Hollyday'? That said, before telling all the Americans to change the spelling to suit, I decided to google it, turns out it's a company that produces breast milk!? Yikes, better if it doesn't catch on then....
it looks awful. bland and uninteresting i hope this is a test area
'World Premiere' Gameplay Trailer - you kinda don't use a test area in one of those...;)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game looks very beautiful (I'm even afraid of how the Nintendo Switch version will turn out and if the PS4 can run at 60fps like all Sonic games on the console) in addition, the soundtrack and the gameplay are also very good.

But I'm kind of confused about what the main objective of the game is, I thought the open-world would work as a ''hub'' where you would enter stages, but the gameplay only showed Sonic walking around the map and doing tasks, that's it worried me a little.

I guess I'll have to wait to get a more concrete opinion, I hope they show more of the game soon.
Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW were on the Switch and those games are superb. If Sega wants they can make it work.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see a lot of people complaining about the world feeling empty which I can understand, but personally it doesn't take a lot to please me and what I'm seeing so far makes me happy, so I'll take it as that. I'd love to just run around hills on different islands as Sonic.

Also what are those little crystal things? I am curious about that. I guess we'll see if story eventually get showcased this month

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's open world but at the same time looks kinda linear... some people like open world games and some find it a tedious experience when they get stuck or don't know what to do next, this game seems to mix both aspects.
as someone that loves the open world style of games, im pretty excited, I do hope they show more later, im guessing this area was maybe a dev area to just show off gameplay? but if not.... woof.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ohh that is gold... Why oh why wasn't the Andy Williams song spelt 'Happy Hollyday'? That said, before telling all the Americans to change the spelling to suit, I decided to google it, turns out it's a company that produces breast milk!? Yikes, better if it doesn't catch on then....

'World Premiere' Gameplay Trailer - you kinda don't use a test area in one of those...;)
Than this is gonna flop. It has no aesthetic. cant just throw sonic into a real looking world and call it a day. no loops and hardly any enemies. The environment hardly reacts to him. Unless theres a Chao garden or really deep system of mechanics then this is bad.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

its a gameplay trailer tho, it could be a dev map to, you know, show off gameplay, lol, could also be the reason it looks so barren, but im just spitballing.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
its a gameplay trailer tho, it could be a dev map to, you know, show off gameplay, lol, could also be the reason it looks so barren, but im just spitballing.
why would you use a dev map on your game first premier? lol do recall this game comes out in 6 months tops... so if they dont have some area finished already to record some gameplay what are they gonna do in 6 months?

Reactions: Ahmir

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
why would you use a dev map on your game first premier? lol do recall this game comes out in 6 months tops... so if they dont have some area finished already to record some gameplay what are they gonna do in 6 months?
tuck their heads between their legs and kiss their butt's goodbye

The_Final_Frontier

Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
It does look like a relaxing thing to play.

However, ultimately: Sonic does not really work in 3D.

It has been attempted, time and again, for over 1/4 century. Sonic does not — and will not — translate to three dimensional gameplay.

Sega needs to stop making Sonic games. Put the original Sonic 1 back on Steam. Keep selling plush toys.

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

It has been attempted, time and again, for over 1/4 century. Sonic does not — and will not — translate to three dimensional gameplay.

Sega needs to stop making Sonic games. Put the original Sonic 1 back on Steam. Keep selling plush toys.
Thats... not true. 06 has good 3d gameplay, unleashed and adventure. the list goes on

Reactions: SexiestManAlive

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna say. I want to give it some benefit of doubt but it's not looking good in my opinion... both graphically and gameplay. 7 minute video where sonic runs around a empty forest ruins, no objective, no enemies, collect rings, solve puzzles and stuff. Reminds me of those "Tech demos" of fan games for sonic fan games expos. And I noticed "Texture pop in" Not sure what system they was running the game on, but didn't look 60fps either.
Same, didn't like how in the first half of the video they showed things that Sonic did in the previous games also whats with all the boost pads?

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sonic does work in 3D, problem is they really don't do a good job at times.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks so weird and out of place. Like they were making some open world game and then last minute decided "fuck it, throw sonic in there".

A large open world sonic game like this sounds like an interesting idea (like Sonic Adventures, but scaled up), but the sleepy soundtrack and realism they're going for doesn't fit with the GOTTA GO FAST Sonic concept.

Maybe if they used a more cartoony design it'd be better. Like, if they used brighter colors and faster music (make the world look like green hill zone). This video makes it seem like a lazy collect-a-thon that just happens to have Sonic in it.

Also, I know Sonic Adventures was set in "real" places with actual human characters and everything, but the artwork was not hyper realistic like this, so it worked better. This just looks bland imo.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like many Sonic fans are super picky, like Sonic games are very limited into what they can be for them . . .
Honestly i like that they try different things besides 2d super fast platformers.
Sonic can be kinda like Mario and be in every genre of game but then you get some fans bitching coz its not like the Sega Genesis games ffs . . .
Personally i enjoyed the Sonic and Sega all star racing and Sonic Battle games. The rpg was ok but id like to see him in a bigger one.
Anyways, if a game is good then it doesn't matter if its what some Sonic fan want Sonic to be imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work