Homebrew RELEASE Sonic CD

sblur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
..But why did they do it?
You're asking someone to tell you why Christian Whitehead (2.0) and Sega (3.0) made changes to their own game. Any answer you get is going to be speculation.

The changes in 2.0 were probably done because the naming is better. A handful of script filenames in 1.0 are just things like GS0001, PS0001, PS0002, etc. The 2.0 file names for the same scripts in 2.0 actually match what they do, like GlobalCode.bin, Title.bin and R11A.bin for zone 1 act 1 present. CW was still improving his engine / code until Sega took over the project completely once Sonic Mania development began. Not sure what changed in 3.0 yet but none of it is probably good since the only thing 3.0 added was more advertising to what was previously a paid game with no ads.

Reactions: mathew77

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it was never tested against that version and it was not expected that they would make breaking changes again.
1.0 and 2.0 are not compatible with each other because some file names and data formats slightly changed and work had to be done so 1.0 files would even load, so if what you're saying is true then more work needs to be done to add 3.0 compatibility.
Actually, I don't know if there were breaking changes because I haven't tried it. The instructions mention a specific version and I'm kind of OCD when it comes to instructions...

sblur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I don't know if there were breaking changes because I haven't tried it. The instructions mention a specific version and I'm kind of OCD when it comes to instructions...
There were partially breaking changes, I just looked into it. At the point where the 3.06 data file freezes, they added a native screen to prompt the user to enter their age. The new screen wasn't implemented in Retro Engine directly, so the game freezes while it waits for the okay to continue. There may be similar instances of the same problem later where they added advertisements to the game. This will be corrected upstream at some point. Otherwise the 3.0 data looks pretty much the same as 2.0 and it should just be a matter of bypassing the new 'features'.

Edit: This is now fixed upstream. They could easily break the fix in an update by just changing what the game waits for on the new screen, but unless they break things intentionally it should be fine at least up to current version which is 3.0.6.

Last edited by sblur,

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Hey guys, you know what? :)

The Android version of the game (latest one that is v2.0.0 by 19 Aug 2020) has exactly the same MD5 of the data files as the .IPA version!.. With all the videos. And it's free!..

So, the plan is:
  • Go to Android page of the game.
  • Install the game (it's free) on your Android device.
  • Go to /Android/obb/com.sega.soniccd.classic/ folder.
  • Copy both files: patch.49.com.sega.soniccd.classic.obb (it's MD5 is just like the iOS-version: 6649DD9866D07D6E588E29B101DA3488) and main.11.com.sega.soniccd.classic.obb (MD5: 7D36095D6C09A1AAAFFC4AEB8B45E672) to your PC.
  • Rename main.obb into main-obb.zip and unpack, it contains good_ending, bad_ending and opening.mp4 files that you'd want.
  • Rename the patch.obb into Data.rsdk (it's exactly the same as the iOS 3.0.6 version of the game).
  • Put them where your nx2 .nro file is on your Switch's microSD.
  • Enjoy! :)
Some Switch in-game screens with new FMV:
scr (1).jpg scr (2).jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@usineur0
Sorry for asking you, but in the new nx2 build the B Switch button is now acting like Menu (Pause) button (it's veeeery frustrating). Could you please map it like it was in the previous nx1 build, + as a Menu button and B as the Jump button?

A-a-and I guess I found a bug in Collision Chaos Special Bonus stage, here're the screens:

bug (4).jpg bug (2).jpg bug (3).jpg

Here is the Dpad.gif in transparent glory.
With the new 3.0.6 Data.rsdk your transparent Dpad sprite file doesn't work :( (it was all good with the previous one, v2.0.1).
Here're the screens:
dpad-wrong (2).jpg dpad-wrong (1).jpg dpad-wrong (3).jpg

Modified Jump.wav sound works as it should though.

Last edited by mathew77,

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys, you know what? :)

The Android version of the game (latest one that is v2.0.0 by 19 Aug 2020) has exactly the same MD5 of the data files as the .IPA version!.. With all the videos. And it's free!..

So, the plan is:
  • Go to Android page of the game.
  • Install the game (it's free) on your Android device.
  • Go to /Android/obb/com.sega.soniccd.classic/ folder.
  • Copy both files: patch.49.com.sega.soniccd.classic.obb (it's MD5 is just like the iOS-version: 6649DD9866D07D6E588E29B101DA3488) and main.11.com.sega.soniccd.classic.obb (MD5: 7D36095D6C09A1AAAFFC4AEB8B45E672) to your PC.
  • Rename main.obb into main-obb.zip and unpack, it contains good_ending, bad_ending and opening.mp4 files that you'd want.
  • Rename the patch.obb into Data.rsdk (it's exactly the same as the iOS 3.0.6 version of the game).
  • Put them where your nx2 .nro file is on your Switch's microSD.
  • Enjoy! :)
Some Switch in-game screens with new FMV:

@usineur0
Sorry for asking you, but in the new nx2 build the B Switch button is now acting like Menu (Pause) button (it's veeeery frustrating). Could you please map it like it was in the previous nx1 build, + as a Menu button and B as the Jump button?

A-a-and I guess I found a bug in Collision Chaos Special Bonus stage, here're the screens:

View attachment 240642 View attachment 240640 View attachment 240641

With the new 3.0.6 Data.rsdk your transparent Dpad sprite file doesn't work :( (it was all good with the previous one, v2.0.1).
Here're the screens:

Modified Jump.wav sound works as it should though.

Tried with your indications but all I get is a black screen. Checked the MD5 to make sure I hadn't made any errors

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Transparent Dpad now works with the new Data.rsdk!..

You need to make transparent not only /Data/Sprites/Global/DPad.gif as @fvig2001 did, but also the /Data/Sprites/Special/Objects.gif for now.
I also attached the modified Jump sound (like in the Genesis version).

Here're they:

Attachments

• Objects.gif
    Objects.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 361
  • DPad.gif
    DPad.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 223
  • old_jump_sound.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by mathew77,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think there's computer software to download an Android app from the Play store without using an Android phone, as long as you have a Google account.

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't changed anything to the buttons mapping between the two releases.

For the Switch port, A is the button for jump.
However, it seems that when using 2.0.1 rsdk, B is mapped to jump (ingame), but in 3.0.6 rsdk, it's binded to "pause/menu".
I suppose that something has changed in internal scripts between the two rsdk versions.

If you and other users prefer B to be the jump button by default (that means also that it will be the "enter/action" button in menu), let me know.

A-a-and I guess I found a bug in Collision Chaos Special Bonus stage
Dunno. I only wrote the port, not the engine itself.
I still wonder: is this glitch present in version 2.0.1 ?

Edit: just tested, no glitches for me. So... meh ?

Last edited by usineur,
Reactions: mathew77

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Do you hate letterboxed video (as I do)? If so, here're the 16:9 opening and good/bad endings videos that I made with Adobe Premiere! :)

Download link.
Some sample screenshots.
Original:
original.jpg
16:9:
16-9.jpg

If you want to edit the video by yourself, it must be in MP4, H264 Baseline Profile L2, 30 fps, bitrate is 1500 kbps for opening and 500 kbps for endings, sound is AAC 128 kbps.

If you and other users prefer B to be the jump button by default (that means also that it will be the "enter/action" button in menu), let me know.
Yes, please-please!

Edit: just tested, no glitches for me. So... meh ?
Yeah, it's unrepeatable. :( The good thing is when it occurred I was able to restart the game to fix it completely. Thanks for testing!

Last edited by mathew77,

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, please-please!

I have added a second NRO in the main release page for that.
I have also added a section with your instructions for Android data files. Thanks for that.

on ios and android the game is multilanguage. Is there a way here to force a specific language?
Afaik, no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro