Homebrew RELEASE Sonic CD (yes, another one)

Deleted member 418227

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic CD (2011) for the Nintendo Switch

icon.jpg

Yes, I know someone else already released a port. Let me explain.

The current port is based off Sappharad's rvm_soniccd decompilation, which is based off the iOS version. There are two main issues with this: water palettes are screwed up, and you have to hunt down an IPA of the iOS version to extract the assets. This port is based off of Rubberduckycooly's PC version decompilation which fixes both of those issues, and it's recommended you get your assets from the Steam version to make things easier.

If you run into any issues, please check the source repository first; most of the known issues are not exclusive to this port.

Download
https://github.com/heyjoeway/Sonic-CD-11-Decompilation/blob/master/README.md

manchesterraver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Runs great using files from the Steam version as OP recommends. If you can't connect a computer mouse to your Switch you're going to need the Steam files.

Edit: I don't see a settings.ini file anywhere though? Is that supported?

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems to work better than the mobile-based port - the Exit button actually works, for one.
However, even following the source repo's instructions of separating the audio tracks from the video files doesn't seem to work? At least with the US opening, it's noticeable; it tries playing the audio file for half a second, then gives up and mutes.
And with the inability to access the Settings and Controls panels (acknowledged in source), it isn't possible to re-map A/B to what makes more sense on the Switch, nor change the spin dash from the default Sonic 2 method back to vanilla.

There's also what looks to be an oversight on the title screen, possibly due to a difference in scaling?
SCD2011 (Steam):
7c38a5cc70.png

rvm_soniccd (Mobile):
12e52a2976.png

Those are just what I noticed, anyways.

Last edited by SeongGino,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And with the inability to access the Settings and Controls panels (acknowledged in source), it isn't possible to re-map A/B to what makes more sense on the Switch, nor change the spin dash from the default Sonic 2 method back to vanilla.

This project is supposed to let you edit those with a settings.ini but none seems to appear when running the Switch version.

ToruTheRedFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Seems to work better than the mobile-based port - the Exit button actually works, for one.
However, even following the source repo's instructions of separating the audio tracks from the video files doesn't seem to work? At least with the US opening, it's noticeable; it tries playing the audio file for half a second, then gives up and mutes.

There's also what looks to be an oversight on the title screen, possibly due to a difference in scaling?
SCD2011 (Steam):
7c38a5cc70.png

rvm_soniccd (Mobile):
12e52a2976.png

Those are just what I noticed, anyways.
using the mobile rsdk with rubberduckycooly's decomp also fixes this

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
using the mobile rsdk with rubberduckycooly's decomp also fixes this
Not really. I mean, it does make the options menu accessible, but just kind of adds more issues on top of that (with this decomp specifically).
Early (Android, paid, pre-Classics) Rsdk paks forces visible touch controls, the movie files are a completely different format and thus don't play at all, and the pause menu just completely breaks.
Post-Classics SCD re-release files have all of those problems, only with added window spacing for (now non-existent) ad-space, a broken fourth options menu selection (I think it's to do with the Ad-free Purchase?), and I can now exit the pause menu with A... but not select an option, either via D-pad or touch.

And after all that, the spin dash toggle in the save doesn't even translate properly between Mobile and PC. So, whelp.

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice job - setup was very simple. I'd look forward to analogue and settings support in a future release, should you be interested in adding this. For now I'm going to be furiously masturbating to enjoying the Sonic 3 A.I.R Switch port anyway. You have truly done the Lord's work with these ports. If you've got a Donate button anywhere I'd like to hit it.

I did note that performance stutters a little more for me than with the port of the mobile decompilation. Nonetheless it's very playable and very enjoyable.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for being inaccurate in the message. I only totally agree that the Android data works good with usineurs version, without much hassle. The guide is very well selfexplaining.
I don't agree that heyjoeways is worse, it works of course, but there is some stuff which is not that important on usineurs version; like the steam specific files:

help (folder, optional as How to Play is broken)
videos (folder)
Data.rsdk
fonts.arc
images.arc
sounds.arc
Strings.str

They're not needed on usineurs version (though the mp4 videos are bigger but has language selection support).

Also the audio in the videos in heyjoeways version isn't supported (ogg audio) and has to be extracted from the video and put in the same folder as separate files (too much fiddling around for the average user). Also there are a some not really important but tickles-the-eye stuff to be seen:

scd2011: <------------------------------> rvm_soniccd:
2021012620473700-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg 2021012620492000-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg
2021012620474200-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg 2021012620492400-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg
2021012620481900-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg 2021012620493100-3A2955F9D12BBF56D01A07205E7F1E1D.jpg

Only downside on usineurs version is that the game can't be exited from the menu selecting "Exit Game". heyjoeways version exits very nicely.

My last words on this topic:

heyjoeway did a lot of stuff on this project. I applaud him and thanks for his precious time on it. Keep up the good work heyjoeway!

Last edited by CaptainHIT,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over