• Start date
  • Views 3,071
  • Replies 23
D

Deleted User

OP
Cage-Against-The-Machine--006.jpg

John Cage's 4"33' tipped for UK No.1

In a small, stuffy Soho recording studio, the musicians were poised to begin. Headphones on, guitars slung, drumsticks raised, fingers on keys. From the mixing room, came the muffled voice of the producer. "And after three – one, two three and …" Silence. For the next four minutes and 33 seconds the rag-tag ensemble of 40 or so musicians did not play a note. Some couldn't help but move, fooling noiselessly around or swaying to an inaudible beat, others just lowered their eyes.​

Why should I do this? Article below
In a small, stuffy Soho recording studio, the musicians were poised to begin. Headphones on, guitars slung, drumsticks raised, fingers on keys. From the mixing room, came the muffled voice of the producer. "And after three – one, two three and …" Silence. For the next four minutes and 33 seconds the rag-tag ensemble of 40 or so musicians did not play a note. Some couldn't help but move, fooling noiselessly around or swaying to an inaudible beat, others just lowered their eyes.

Veteran lefty Billy Bragg, Suggs, Kooks frontman Luke Pritchard, dance act Orbital, and rock-ravers Enter Shikari were among the bands and artists brought together to recreate the sound of silence.

It sounds like an unlikely contender for Christmas number one, but the track – a cover of avant-garde composer John Cage's experimental 4'33", itself the recording of an orchestra not playing – may yet be the most serious competition the forthcoming X Factor winner will have to face.

The song, which has been produced for charity, hopes to emulate the success of last year's Rage Against the Machine Christmas number one campaign, which saw the guitar-heavy, profanity-littered Killing in the Name pip X Factor winner Joe McElderry's weepy ballad to the number one spot.

But instead of loud guitars, fans buying the single – dubbed, with quiet sarcasm, Cage Against the Machine – can expect to hear masterful high-power amp fuzz interspersed with the deliberate click of a slow-shutter camera, set to the muted shuffling of feet and repressed laughter. It is also worth listening out for an air guitar solo, at around the midway point.

Bragg, admittedly, was a particularly unobtrusive figure – his silence emanating from a emotionless Blackberry, as the singer songwriter is on tour in Scotland. Imogen Heap had chosen an iPhone to register her noiselessness.

But others, such as Scroobius Pip and Suggs made their way to the Dean Street Studios for today's recording and as Brit-award winning producer Paul Epworth, who has worked with Florence and the Machine and Friendly Fires, brought the 273 seconds of recording to an end, the studio burst into applause and whooping. As the organiser, XFM DJ Eddy Temple-Morris, pointed out, silence does not come easily to these people: "Managing to get this many egos in a room and getting them all to stay quiet is a hell of an achievement," he said. "It felt quite emotional to me. In this age of noise, to hear silence is an inspiring and beautiful thing."

The brainchild of David Hilliard, an art therapy student, the Facebook campaign was started as a joke in the summer, but took on a new life as Temple-Morris and Joe Hutchinson of Ou Est Le Swimming Pool encouraged musicians to get involved.

Raising money and awareness for charity, rather than scuppering the X Factor, was the overriding aim of the single, said Temple-Morris, before adding: "Obviously the delicious schadenfreude of seeing the X Factor beaten by four minutes and 33 seconds of silence would be exquisite."

Whether the single can harness the anti-Simon Cowell feeling that propelled RATM to the yuletide top spot remains to be seen, but the anarchic coalition has already garnered a substantial following, with more than 60,000 fans on Facebook.

And unlike the RATM offensive – which lost some of its rock'n'roll credentials after it emerged that the track was released by Sony, and McElderry's by Cowell's Syco, a Sony subsidiary – the mark of the squarely-coiffed svengali is nowhere to be seen on the track, which will be released on Wall of Sound Records on 13 December.

Calm, a service for young men at risk of suicide, is among the charities that will benefit, along with the British Tinnitus Association, Youth Music, Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy and Sound and Music.

Sitting at a grand piano, ready to not play before recording started, pop star Mr Hudson, aka Ben McIldowie, explained the track's appeal. "There is already enough noise out there," he said. "This is giving people a little time to think."

Hi guys, as I'm sure you're aware, last year the UK's Xmas no.1 was Rage Against the Machine. This year, we have two hours to make CAGE against the machine the number one track. All it requires is you to "buy" the CATM track on mflow for FREE, legally, using mflow's free promo code. So enjoy and relax with the silence this christmas
wink.gif

LAST MINUTE BUYERS, DO THIS TOO TO REGISTER A CHART-ELIGIBLE SALE, FOR FREE!
1) register or log in at http://www.mflow.com/
2) click on your name in the top right of the screen
3) on the drop down menu click 'redeem code'
4) Type in XMAS to the redeem code box-it then puts £1 credit in your account
5) Search 'Cage Against The Machine' and then click to buy track 1 with the credits.

~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/0...-christmas-no-1

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
SOOOOOOOO going to do this....that Xfactor guy really can't sing for toffee...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I think it should be a campaign to get "Many of Horror" by Biffy Clyro (the original version) to number 1.
I don't see the point in voting a silent track to number 1. It defeats the whole of a music chart. We had a silly no. 1 last year to break the chain. This year's should be something more serious.

D

Deleted User

OP
Jamstruth said:
Personally I think it should be a campaign to get "Many of Horror" by Biffy Clyro (the original version) to number 1.
I don't see the point in voting a silent track to number 1. It defeats the whole of a music chart. We had a silly no. 1 last year to break the chain. This year's should be something more serious.
Apparently, the whole point of last year's RATM and this year's CATM was to show how terrible the music chart is. When we get tracks like 'Barbara Streisand' or Justin Bieber's 'Baby', we know something's gone wrong. So really CATM is just to show the music industry how it needs to perk up and change!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kunt and the Gang are also trying to get Christmas number one with their haunting ballad 'Use my Arsehole as a Cunt'.

Link to download from iTunes
http://goo.gl/R2hx7

Link to download from Amazon
http://goo.gl/T3R0h

Apparently it's very near the top 40 already. I'd post some links to the video but I'd probably get told off as it's extremely NSFW. Look for it on Youtube. There's also an amusing 'Nick Clegg' version of the song for those who like unsubtle political satire.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
tigris said:
Apparently, the whole point of last year's RATM and this year's CATM was to show how terrible the music chart is. When we get tracks like 'Barbara Streisand' or Justin Bieber's 'Baby', we know something's gone wrong. So really CATM is just to show the music industry how it needs to perk up and change!
So put some GOOD music in the charts then. We don't need to buy this crap at all! Good music is still being produced (e.g. Biffy Clyro). Hell, we can resurrect old tracks now iTunes counts. We can get Indie music into the charts (Brett Domino - Gillian McKeith for instance) The music industry makes what sells and guess what? The "crap" sells! You think they'd keep making it if it wasn't popular?
Everyone bought RATM last year because they wanted to show up Simon Cowell + have a silly Xmas no. 1. This year there's not going to be a silly Xmas no. 1. Surfing Bird is the most likely to chart judging by iTunes (it's 3rd most bought) So yeah, people will go for the silly stuff as a joke. Not something like this as a serious protest against modern music.

I'm as big a fan of "proper" music as anyone but I know that the reason we get things like "Barbara Streisand" isn't because of the industry. Its because this is what the public wants and buys. Is it the worst, most repetitive song ever? Yes. Does it have a good beat you can dance to? Yeah. It gets on your nerves after a while though.

D

Deleted User

OP
Well, it is all for charity, the CATM single. So we're obviously not going to buy it for the sound quality ¬_¬. We're going to help 5 charities this christmas help people.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
so me made a song of complete silence? anyone can do that what a cash cow, it's just as bad with art who think a piece of junk is a masterpiece, what is this world coming to?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
so me made a song of complete silence? anyone can do that what a cash cow, it's just as bad with art who think a piece of junk is a masterpiece, what is this world coming to?

It's a performance piece, not a "song" or sorts.

It isn't complete silence, either. It's the sounds of the environment.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How is "Killing in the Name" a joke song Jamstruth? It was my song of 96 i think (or possibly 95 i can't remember anything but the summer....)

Sure it was a mass campaign but all proceeds went to Charity and the song actually had relevance.

D

Deleted User

OP
Depravo said:
Kunt and the Gang are also trying to get Christmas number one with their haunting ballad 'Use my Arsehole as a Cunt'.

Link to download from iTunes
http://goo.gl/R2hx7

Link to download from Amazon
http://goo.gl/T3R0h

Apparently it's very near the top 40 already. I'd post some links to the video but I'd probably get told off as it's extremely NSFW. Look for it on Youtube. There's also an amusing 'Nick Clegg' version of the song for those who like unsubtle political satire.
this is total comedy gold. 7 bought now.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tigris said:
When we get tracks like 'Barbara Streisand'

You do realise that track aint new its "BONEY 'M' - GOTTA GO HOME" Blatently ripped off!?

Which in itself is a ripped off German track Nighttrain -- 'Hallo Bimmelbahn'

Nighttrain -- 'Hallo Bimmelbahn'

Boney M -- Gotta Go Home

Duck Sauce -- Barbra Streisand

So now you know!

anyhow back on topic .... who the hell wants a silent track for Christmas #1 !? at least rage against the machine everyone knows it and it was a point being made!

my vote is for Bird is the Word!!!!

or the classic FAMILY GUY version!!!

its already #3
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Personally I think it should be a campaign to get "Many of Horror" by Biffy Clyro (the original version) to number 1. serious.
Maybe.

I'm just glad he didn't do one of their better songs.

D

Deleted User

OP
kobykaan said:
tigris said:
When we get tracks like 'Barbara Streisand'

You do realise that track aint new its "BONEY 'M' - GOTTA GO HOME" Blatently ripped off!?

Which in itself is a ripped off German track Nighttrain -- 'Hallo Bimmelbahn'

Nighttrain -- 'Hallo Bimmelbahn'

Boney M -- Gotta Go Home

Duck Sauce -- Barbra Streisand

So now you know!

anyhow back on topic .... who the hell wants a silent track for Christmas #1 !? at least rage against the machine everyone knows it and it was a point being made!

my vote is for Bird is the Word!!!!

or the classic FAMILY GUY version!!!

its already #3
smile.gif
ooh ooh ooooh oooh oooh oh ooooh barbara striesand (Wort song ever, obviously.)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ellie Goulding – My Song should be number 1 but it got released too early and the shit X–Factor song took over..

Oh well, least it was number 1 on iTunes for abit

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not cool, not fun, not clever, not original, this thread should be closed, terrible idea, stupid song.

seriously, its stupid. and its not funny at all. there's something funny about silence if done properly, but usually it involves actions. a song needs sound.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Pathetic, if someone wants be #1 for Christmas, then they should sing a song.
Not revive dead crap or now use "silence", can't wait to download either for the pathetic aim of beating the X-Factor winner at Christmas...

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
How is "Killing in the Name" a joke song Jamstruth? It was my song of 96 i think (or possibly 95 i can't remember anything but the summer....)

Sure it was a mass campaign but all proceeds went to Charity and the song actually had relevance.
It was something so against the norm of what a "Christmas No. 1" should be that it was a bit of a joke to get it to the top spot. Not saying that the song itself wasn't serious but for what it was being used for it was a silly idea to get it to the top.
Yes, the song had a lot of relevance to the situation (which is something I really liked about the idea) and the fact that X Factor had dominated Xmas for years then the idea of breaking the chain with something like this was a great laugh.

The problem is that I don't think we should be making a new "tradition" of this idea of a mass campaign getting an ill-fitting song to Xmas no. 1. It was good as a one off. The time we beat Cowell. Doing it year in year out would just get stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)