Hacking Somebody give me a hand here

oceangoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm trying to get some gamecube backups to work on my wii.

Right now I have the Homebrew channel, wiiflow and USB loader GX on my wii. But I was wanting something to play some gamecube isos. So for the last two days I have been reading information on this forum and youtube and all over the internet. And its all a big stinking mess. You get a piece here or there, some of its right most of its wrong.

But right now what I have is this.

I DLed the cMIOSWiiGator0.2 file from here
http://gbatemp.net/t179085-9830-9830-9830-...0-9830#gamecube

and I dled the RVL-mios-v10.wad with the NUSdownloader

now at this point the directions bascially stop there. I dont have a clue what to do with the .wad file, what folder to put this in (I dont really keep up with this and it was luck that I got the other stuff installed) when I tried to install it gave me an option of "IOS36" or something.

Can someone who knows what they are doing tell me what to do with this .wad file and how to install it. I didnt come here until the last resort, so I would appreciate any help.

Also from the backup sticky, it says that usbloader GX will load up gamecube games, I assuming from DVD. Is this true or will I need another backup loader?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Firstly, only older Wii's are able to read any kind of backup disc.

Assuming your Wii is capable of reading backup discs and u've installed a cMIOS (custom MIOS... like a custom gamecube 'driver' that is able to read backups), u can use any homebrew that is capable of loading a backup disc (ie. neogamma, cfg usb loader, wiiflow, usbloadergx, etc.), once the Wii tries to load the disc (regardless of the method used), it will realize it is a GC game and reload the MIOS (or rather, cMIOS) then it will take u to WiiGators backup loader menu, and then u can launch the gamecube game.

I recommend you use ModMii to rehack your Wii, u can download it from the link in my signature. It will spell out exactly what u need to do to install a cMIOS "the easy way"

If you want to use the official cMIOS installer that u already downloaded... then u can do the following:

-save the boot.dol for the cMIOS installer to sd:\apps\whatever\boot.dol
-save the MIOS to the root of the sd card (ie. SD:\RVL-mios-v10.wad or SD:\RVL-mios-v4.wad)
-Run mIOS Patcher (or "cMIOSWiiGator0.2 file") from the HBC, note that you will require a gamecube controller to install this. Press right once on the GC controller to select the version u want to install (v10 or v4 or w/e), then hit X once (make sure it says "rungcbackup + wii Backup Launcher"), then hit A on gamecube controller.

that's it, now just launch a backup of a gamecube game and hopefully it will work (only reason why it won't is if your Wii has a new dvd drive incapable of playing backup discs)

Reactions: RahFah

oceangoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I load wiigator cmios I get this:

Select which IOS to load IOS36
Press B if I something or another IOS reload.

Is this something that you are talking about or is this something that I should change or keep this same? I dont see this in your directions.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u want to choose any patched IOS, typical selections include... 250/236/249/222/36/202/223/224

if u don't select a patched IOS, it will fail. If u need help installing a patched IOS236.... rehack your Wii using ModMii! Seriously, I recommend u do that anyways, it will ensure you're wii is running w/ all the latest softmods and brick protection

oceangoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed HBC, Bootmii, backed up NAND, did the thing with the IOS236, Loaded wii flow, USB loader, and wad manager

I understand you know what you are talking about and I trying to get the hang of this.

If I have all that shit installed what do I need to click when i come to that prompt?

I followed that softmod guide on this site.

And I dont want to start all over with modmii. If the information on this site is obsolete then it needs to be deleted. Too many stickies, threads, faqs, guides and how tos that all take you to the same place.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
If u followed one of the stickied guides on this forum, u probably already installed a cMIOS when u installed a bunch of WADs using a WAD Manager.

edit: first off, using ModMii (or any GOOD guide) from start to finish should take 15-60 minutes (if u already have a nand backup, u don't NEED to make another one, so it wont take nearly as long as before)... Secondly, there's nothing wrong with the other stickied guide on this forum (except that it violates a ton of copyrights, but w/e, most ppl don't care), like I said, it probably already installed a cMIOS for u, have u tried loading a gamecube game yet? Even loading an original should take u to Wiigator's backup loader menu, so u can test to see if it installed properly but your wii just cant read backups.

oceangoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the guide I followed
http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-3-below

(so does the shit installed from this guide allow you to load GC backups? I dont think it does)

Then I installed usb loader and wii flow. And at this point I barely remember how I did it.

I dont think that first guide covered anything to do with playing GC backups. I had to go to another guide on the site and read from it. (the guide in the first post)

And I'll be honest I dont have any DVDs laying around to test it and I didnt want to go buy any if I was to stupid to get this shit loaded on the wii.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
IIRC that guide should have installed a cMIOS in wad form, as I already mentioned. I told you how you can check this, but another way to check if that guide should've already installed it for u is by looking inside the "WAD" folder on your SD card.... look for a file starting with "cMIOS", if its there, then u should have installed it with the other wads.

If its not there, u can download wiigator's cMIOS is wad form from ModMii's download page 4. Save it to the wad folder on your sd card and use yawmm or MMM's wad manager to install it (using IOS236 when asked what IOS to use to install your WADs). If u need those apps, u can download them from ModMii's download page 2.

oceangoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I checked the wad folder and there were cmios wads in there.

So I did like you said and chose the IOS236 and chose the v10 wad that was in my SD card. It looked like it installed (at least it didnt brick my wii)

So now I'll run out and grab some DVDs and burn some backups and give it a try. If you care I'll post back here later whether it works or not.

Thanks for giving me a hand :]

AndrewLaRosa

Trophies
XP
please help me like the starter of this thread i have been spending days scowering the internet, and i have arrived at one conclusion i need help before my desire to play 1 gamecube game bricks my wii

i have a batman hacked 4.3u wii, running cfg usb loader and im working on making it play gamecube games, need to know first off if cMIOSWiiGator0.2 will brick it ans second if it is capable of playing backedup game, and lastly if there is anyway to play gamecube games off of a removable usb hard drive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*