Some questions?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by soulx, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010

Some questions? by soulx at 12:26 AM (584 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I want to install a 64 bit version of Windows 7. I'm afraid that there may be too many compatibility issues with my hardware and software. Most of the software I run are "post-Vista-era". Any advice?

I was researching the "Recycle Bin" and apparently it doesn't actually permanently delete files and that people could with the right software recover those files. Any good programs that can permanently delete files? I've heard of SecureClean.

I'm going to format my hard drive before reinstalling Windows 7. I would like to remove all or most of those "files" lurking on my hard drive. Any suggestions for a program that can do "government grade" formatting?

Thanks.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Dban boot and nuke for wiping your drive thoroughly. It can take awhile if you go for the more extreme wiping methods. You can boot up from floppy, usb stick or cd and let it run.

Most software will run fine on 64 bit Vista/7 as it can run 32 bit applications still. I've encountered very few incompatibilities from my own experience.

You may encounter problems when it comes to hardware, as they do require 64 bit drivers. Also your anti-virus software and firewall may need to be updated to be compatible.