ROM Hack Soma Bringer Open Translation

contec94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
heyz i was wondering, u noe for the mobile city thing, act 2 that one, is it still in jap or is it supposed to be translated cause mine is still in jap argh and if its in jap, is it jst tht act or is the translation onli up to there?

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac2492 said:
The Wikipedia article mentions that there are four extra acts.
I don't see them on the wiki. Will they be translated? =PYes, everything will be translated eventually.

QUOTE(contec94 @ May 8 2008, 03:56 AM) heyz i was wondering, u noe for the mobile city thing, act 2 that one, is it still in jap or is it supposed to be translated cause mine is still in jap argh and if its in jap, is it jst tht act or is the translation onli up to there?
That's the current progress of the translation. If you're feeling impatient, you can check the wiki for the rest of the Act 2 cutscenes that I haven't edited yet.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to thank you guys a long time ago....for the patch! thanks, works great...=] keep it up!

yaynds.gif
grog.gif

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played for a few minutes while I was out of the house and I noticed a few errors. I'll fix those up right away. I have a few questions, though...

1) What is the line limit? I estimated that it was around 31 characters because no line (that I counted) had more than that.
2) I just noticed that quotation marks seem to have an extra space before and after them. Should I still add a space before quotes, or do you want me to remove those? (I added them before I noticed this, but I can easily remove them. I'll wait for an answer before I take action.)
3) Where is the tutorial text from the beginning of the game? I only found the part where he tells you about abilities and such. There was also a weird symbol in one of the earlier lines. (I believe it was in the tutorial when the guy gave you some experience.)
4) During character creation, 2H Clubs are referred to as "2H Sticks". Is this an error, or was it intended? (The "clubs" do look like sticks...) Also, Dual Swords are called Dual Blades.

"The longest range then other weapons."
This description bothers me a little. First off, I'm pretty sure that guns and bows have better range. Therefore, this description is untrue. Spears probably have the longest range of all melee weapons, though. Also, the grammar is a bit wonky. It should read something like, "Longer range than other melee weapons."
(From here.)

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac2492 said:
1) What is the line limit? I estimated that it was around 31 characters because no line (that I counted) had more than that.
2) I just noticed that quotation marks seem to have an extra space before and after them. Should I still add a space before quotes, or do you want me to remove those? (I added them before I noticed this, but I can easily remove them. I'll wait for an answer before I take action.)
3) Where is the tutorial text from the beginning of the game? I only found the part where he tells you about abilities and such. There was also a weird symbol in one of the earlier lines. (I believe it was in the tutorial when the guy gave you some experience.)
4) During character creation, 2H Clubs are referred to as "2H Sticks". Is this an error, or was it intended? (The "clubs" do look like sticks...) Also, Dual Swords are called Dual Blades.
5) "The longest range then other weapons."
1) ~30 was the previous limit, but it's variable now. Once I finish implementing all the control codes I'll upload the preview app I'm writing.
2) Those lines were translated before I implemented the variable-width font, so they used the full-width JIS quotation marks (“”) which didn't need any spaces. They need to be switched out for ASCII quotation marks (").
3) They're mostly in the early 100s. I don't think those files are on the wiki yet.
4) There are probably quite a few inconsistencies like that because the files were translated at different times, and without looking at the game to see what shape the items really were. In retrospect I think Poles would be a better fit.
5) Feel free to fix bad grammar wherever you find it. Thanks for the help!

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
1) ~30 was the previous limit, but it's variable now. Once I finish implementing all the control codes I'll upload the preview app I'm writing.
2) Those lines were translated before I implemented the variable-width font, so they used the full-width JIS quotation marks (“”) which didn't need any spaces. They need to be switched out for ASCII quotation marks (").
3) They're mostly in the early 100s. I don't think those files are on the wiki yet.
4) There are probably quite a few inconsistencies like that because the files were translated at different times, and without looking at the game to see what shape the items really were. In retrospect I think Poles would be a better fit.
5) Feel free to fix bad grammar wherever you find it. Thanks for the help!

1) I'll try to stay under 30 for now.
2) This means that I can go ahead and add in those spaces, right?
huh.gif

3) Ah, okay. Take your time. I'll go through them once they're added.
4) The literal translation for "?" (katana) is sword, blade, saber, or knife (Source). The literal translation for "?" (bou) is pole, rod, or stick (Source. So... It's really up to you. "Poles" would still be correct in every sense.
5) No problem. It's the least I could do.

One more question for now... Are you going for literal translations or dynamic equivalence? The sentence mentioned in point 5 really has no mention of "melee weapons". It simply says that spears have a longer reach than other weapons. However, it is implied that they have longer reach than other *melee weapons* because they cannot possibly have a longer reach than bows or guns. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't tell if this was implied by the sentence structure or word usage.
Rephrased: Do you want the words translated as literally as possible, or do you want to sacrifice some of the literal meanings to make the text easier to understand?

I'm asking this because it will determine how I "fix" certain sentences.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac2492 said:
1) I'll try to stay under 30 for now.
2) This means that I can go ahead and add in those spaces, right?
huh.gif

3) Ah, okay. Take your time. I'll go through them once they're added.
4) The literal translation for "?" (katana) is sword, blade, saber, or knife (Source). The literal translation for "?" (bou) is pole, rod, or stick (Source. So... It's really up to you. "Poles" would still be correct in every sense.
5) No problem. It's the least I could do.
6) Are you going for literal translations or dynamic equivalence?
1) It's much more than 30; look at Act 1 for comparison.
2) Yes, but the actual quotation marks are the wrong characters and need to be replaced as well.
4) Let's go with Dual Swords.
6) As long as you don't change the sentiment of the line, it doesn't have to be a completely literal translation. I'm not sure how you could tell without knowing Japanese, though. As for titstr.db, I didn't do those translations... looks like they could still use some work. The line you're asking about does just say "other weapons", but I wouldn't have a problem adding "melee" since it's more accurate.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
1) It's much more than 30; look at Act 1 for comparison.
2) Yes, but the actual quotation marks are the wrong characters and need to be replaced as well.
4) Let's go with Dual Swords.
6) As long as you don't change the sentiment of the line, it doesn't have to be a completely literal translation. I'm not sure how you could tell without knowing Japanese, though. As for titstr.db, I didn't do those translations... looks like they could still use some work. The line you're asking about does just say "other weapons", but I wouldn't have a problem adding "melee" since it's more accurate.

2) xD... I'll change them.
4) I'll change Dual Blades into Dual Swords and 2H Clubs/Sticks into Poles.
6) Got it. I'm pretty handy with online translators and dictionaries. It's not perfectly accurate, so I can't join the "main translation team".

"?Wind Magic
????????
?Earth Magic
?????????????"

I noticed that these two lines weren't translated. (And all the other lines around it were!)
"????" (break) + "??" (aim)
"??" (status/condition) + "??" (abnormal)

I can't piece it together because I haven't tried playing as a Soma yet. Can someone else please interpret this?

xlitoslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadowkillerdragon said:
You sure you patched the right one?
Because I use a R4 too at it works perfectly fine.
Nice job on the Translations too!
I patched the Japanese ROM. The patched ROM is 122 mb. Is it supposed to be 122 mb?
EDIT:Works now
biggrin.gif

Myron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

after finding out about this project a few days ago, I tried my hand at some of the translations. The thing is, my Japanese isn't complete and if it wasn't for a certain Firefox translating add-on I'd be verily screwed. The result is a number of pages with around 90% translated, and the remainder blank. Like so:

http://somatrans.scribblewiki.com/SC397

As you can see, some of the lines I just couldn't get my head around. My question is: Do these, coupled with the occasional odd translation, actually help the progress, or is it only cumbersome for the ones who really know how to translate? I can imagine if someone has to check line for line for accuracy it could actually hamper development.

Another question I have is with regards to the Wiki formatting. As you can see from my link, the side bar - the one with all the links - isn't available. Now I've compared my page's code with that of existing translations and I can't for the life of me spot a difference. Anybody know how I can get the links back on the right side?

Looking forward to working with all of you.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated the patch with fixes for most of the Act 0 cutscenes along with a handful of other changes.

Myron said:
Do these, coupled with the occasional odd translation, actually help the progress, or is it only cumbersome for the ones who really know how to translate? I can imagine if someone has to check line for line for accuracy it could actually hamper development.Honestly I end up translating every scene myself anyway, but having a second opinion definitely helps. Once I'm done I go over the scene and compare each line to the one from the wiki, and pick and choose the best phrases from each translation. The point at which it becomes a hindrance is if the English is so bad that I can't use the lines, but that's not the case with your additions, so by all means translate what you can understand. We'll end up with a better result this way.

QUOTE(Myron @ May 11 2008, 11:16 AM) Another question I have is with regards to the Wiki formatting. As you can see from my link, the side bar - the one with all the links - isn't available. Now I've compared my page's code with that of existing translations and I can't for the life of me spot a difference. Anybody know how I can get the links back on the right side?
They were missing the templates at the top of the page. You only see them if you click the Edit link at the top rather than the one to the right of the header.

Edit: Added some other utilities I've been working on to the wiki:
somaeventue9.png

(View cutscene lines in order along with who speaks them)

somapicbx8.png

(View images and copy to clipboard)

dadtoolyo0.png

(Unpack and repack LZ77-compressed DAD files)

zlac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I just logged in to say that you guys are doing a great, great job!

I am not native English speaker and I do make a lot of grammar errors, but:
when creating a character, I saw many errors and senseless lines. I thought "this translation will suck", but when I actually started to play the game, WOW! All conversations and story lines are GREAT!

to help you, i will mention some errors that were kind of... ...weird:
In character descriptions, there are a lot of punctuation errors an non-standard descriptions.

Red is weird, green is correction or something...
smile.gif

Welt: 7th Company novice.
Native of frontier That means that he is what? He likes to be in the first lines in combat? Can someone with "native English" rephrase this?
Shallow combat exp That means that he has almost no combat experience? Wouldn't be better to say "low" instead of "shallow"?
smile.gif

Strong sense of justice This line is OK, but words "strong" and "sense" are kind of weird in the same sentence.
Highly sensitive to soma. Does that mean that he is sensitive to soma magic or he can sense soma presence or what?

Einsatz
Captain of the 7th Accomplishes duties, calmly judges unit. Compassion for others in the 7th, worries for them.
wouldn't "cares for them" be better or something like that, i have never heard that captain worries for his people.

Millers: 7th Female Soldier. A short character. Acts senior to Welt. Cares about other companions, has good intentions.

Cadenza: 7th Male Soldier. Mild kind character. Quiet behavior. Has strong heart. Knows archeology.

Forte: 7th Female Soldier. Very cheerful, doesn't get on with Millers and quarrls. Good to be around. Soft nature.

Granada: 7th Female Soldier. Uses lucid tactics, has hard beliefs. Has great respect for Cadenza and watches over him.
---------------

is it "soldier" or "Soldier"? sometimes it's capital in descriptions, sometimes it is not.
I think it's better to describe like this: (s)he is short, big, bad, smart.
not like this: "is short, is big, is bad, is smart"

hope i didn't screw something up with that green...
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH