Hardware Solder GBA SP headphone adapter to headphones/BT adapter?

waveracerr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason I can’t cut the headphone input end off a spare GBA SP headphone adapter and direct wire a nice pair of headphones? Or a Bluetooth transmitter? Seems like an easy mod

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what kind of current I would like to try to draw from the GBA's DAC and whatever it passes off as an amp but no reason you can't do that -- if it works with the adapter then all good for the soldered directly option.

For bonus internet points I would see about getting the bluetooth transmitter inside and powered/charging from the SP somehow but given how crammed it is in there... Alternatively some would see about stuffing a conventional 3.5mm jack in there and then you can use a bluetooth transmitter* or headphones however you will.

*I am sitting here wondering if you could get the guts of one inside a GBA-GC adapter and effectively have it attach to the top of the SP.

Also ew bluetooth.

Blesmore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can't use the jack plug of the adapter? Plus your headphone in the jack adapter, then plug it to the gba sp

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you can't use the jack plug of the adapter? Plus your headphone in the jack adapter, then plug it to the gba sp
I was prepared to write it off as personal preference, or OP has a spare set of headphones to play with, but from experience then a lot of the adapters are of dubious quality and it does start to add up to things out the back of your device.

waveracerr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, wondering if I can direct wire my headphones to adapter. The female end of the headphone adapter is 90s clunky so I’m looking to eliminate it.

GBA GC holding a bT adapter is a good idea. I’ll look into it. I’d settle for the BT Tx direct wired to the headphone adapter and just deal with the micro usb charger rather than try to pull power from the GBA.

r0ni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lngn.net
XP
Country
United States
There is enough room to install a headphone jack, I’ve seen people post pics of the mod. As far as Bluetooth, what about storing it in a wireless link port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmax2

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
So, it is working. Though the transmitter is picking some digital noise from GBA SP board and is amplifying it. I need to investigate.

mmax2

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
So the first prototype is "assembled"
Because I cant post links, you will find it on reddit

Staff edit. Eventually found it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/eg937m/gameboy_advance_sp_bluetooth_audio_mod/
Pictures from there here as thumbnails. Click for larger.
zojv9szp85741.jpg 0e9sdszp85741.jpg sthl7zce95741.jpg nr0at13h85741.jpg

Attachments

• 8nvb5rzp85741.jpg
    8nvb5rzp85741.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 390

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning