Gaming So, will the Wii die now?

I think it will stay around for a very long time. The homebrew community is still very active and there are plenty of people who just take it out every once in a while to play tennis or something.
 
If it's a completely new way of playing games, why do they call it the Wii U? Shouldn't it have a different name to the Wii?
 
I would imagine with the wiiu not being hacked and possibly not for a good while , i would imagine more focus will be on the wiimode of the wiiu ,consequently i would imagine homebrew will become cross platform to work on wii/vwii . As for new wii games i dont think it'll stop dead but fade slowly i guess like the ps2 did once the ps3 appeared.
 
Hope someone replies to this,
I'm getting a wii and at the moment I don't know anything about it. So a quick question, will there be newer games releasing for the wii?

unlikely any more games will be out for the wii any GOOD ones anyway maybe a shitload of sw but that's it
 
Well we do have homebrews to always keep it alive for us, plus theres a shitload of games available already.
 
Hope someone replies to this,
I'm getting a wii and at the moment I don't know anything about it. So a quick question, will there be newer games releasing for the wii?

Probably nothing very good unless you count fan translations. To be honest, I am still looking forward to a fully translated Saga 3 on the DS (in the works but slow going).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jiehfeng
Well.

I am pushing 31 years now, and as far as console gaming goes, I actually think I´m done with it. Not with console gaming as a whole (I am still a big retro-gamer). But I most surely won´t be taking the step into the next generation. So for me, the Wii will still be held high, and won´t leave the shelf anytime soon.

What I meant with the thread was the releases for Wii. We probably won´t be seeing any "big" releases after Lego Lord of The Rings & Epic Mickey 2. Or does anyone think otherwise. As far as homebrew goes, it will probably live on.
 
I think I will keep the Wii for a long time.
There are still quite a few AAA games that I didn't have the time to play trough, and also lots of casual games and the whole GH/Rock Band series with all those timeless songs all loading off my small external HDD...and I like to play my guitar every now and then !

Also, I'm planning to buy an old CRT TV with component inputs and hook the Wii with it in order to play retro emulators and VC games on it as close as possible to the way they were meant to be played ( but better !).
I have a fairly decent Laptop and I can run every emulator on it, but it only has HDMI output...so for originality, I guess nowadays and in the future nothing can beat a Wii for retro gaming on a retro TV, there fore I'll keep it and use it for many years to come.
 
^ I keep mine hooked up to my Samsung CRT and it rocks for 240p Super Mario World, Yoshis Island, Legends of Zelda ALTTP, Super Metroid, Earthbound etc off VC or Retroarch. I wont get the same feeling off emulators on the comp so thats why I will always like it. Playing older games that were meant for a CRT is awesome on the Wii.
 
Asking if "the Wii will die now" is like asking if a braindead, comatosed patient is going to if you pull the plug on the life support, which in the case of the Wii used to be Homebrew. Of course it's going to die - Nintendo has better things to do than to support a console nobody other than shovelware developers wants to program for anymore. In the commercial sense, it's as dead as it gets.

Homebrew will live on, but only as long as there aren't any better alternatives, meaning, until the WiiU is hacked and programmers can switch to better hardware that has all of the Wii's features and more.
 
Asking if "the Wii will die now" is like asking if a braindead, comatosed patient is going to if you pull the plug on the life support, which in the case of the Wii used to be Homebrew. Of course it's going to die - Nintendo has better things to do than to support a console nobody other than shovelware developers wants to program for anymore. In the commercial sense, it's as dead as it gets.

Homebrew will live on, but only as long as there aren't any better alternatives, meaning, until the WiiU is hacked and programmers can switch to better hardware that has all of the Wii's features and more.

Even if the Wii U gets homebrew I honestly wont care for anything such as Snes, Nes, Mame or anything meant for a CRT on the Wii U, on my Panasonic plasma, or even the Wii U gamepad. Systems such as N64 and up that look better when upscaled sure, but yeah for homebrew and SNES etc the Wii is a keeper to me just for that alone.

Seeing those games in 4:3 with scanlines etc are a reason any hardcore gamer should keep the Wii. Do those games look cool in HQ4X filters, ya i guess but I just like looking at a CRT running them just like I did when I was growing up.
 
Even if the Wii U gets homebrew I honestly wont care for anything such as Snes, Nes, Mame or anything meant for a CRT on the Wii U, on my Panasonic plasma, or even the Wii U gamepad. Systems such as N64 and up that look better when upscaled sure, but yeah for homebrew and SNES etc the Wii is a keeper to me just for that alone.
Nobody says anything about ever getting rid of the Wii - I personally don't understand "trading consoles in". Why buy a console at a high price only to trade it in a few years later for barely any return? I choose to collect mine instead. ;)
 
Nobody says anything about ever getting rid of the Wii - I personally don't understand "trading consoles in". Why buy a console at a high price only to trade it in a few years later for barely any return? I choose to collect mine instead. ;)

Well when you say a better alternative you make it sound like ditching the Wii. I guess maybe I wasnt clear enough. When the Wii U even is a better alternative, it will only be so in areas of games that werent meant to be on CRT. I hear what you are saying though....My Wii will always stay on my CRT, the Wii U will always stay on the HD TV...one for retro and one for modern (=
 
Well when you say a better alternative you make it sound like ditching the Wii. I guess maybe I wasnt clear enough. When the Wii U even is a better alternative, it will only be so in areas of games that werent meant to be on CRT.
I meant from a developer's perspective. At this point it's not profitable to make Wii games anymore - this console is paradoxical in the sense that it sold the most units worldwide, so technically has the largest target audience, and yet from what I've read it's also the hardest to make money on. That, and it's infinitely easier to develop for stronger platforms.
 
Yeah as far as new games for it...LOL no way it will get anything good or even one last gem. I cant even tolerate looking at a Wii game when I see it running on Dolphin and how awesome it looks there, its just my retro box now and also my Star Wars Rogue Squadron player among some others that cant be emulated just yet.
 

Site & Scene News