Gaming So what do you think of FFIV so far

BadAnimal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before but...

Is there any benefit to playing FF III first, ie. can you transfer your party? Or for any other reason?

Thank you.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not at all. FFIII has no relation whatsoever to FFIV other than the staple gameplay elements that all FFs have.

Personally, I'm loving it.
I never got a chance to get a hold of FFIV on either PS or SNES and I only got to play about an hours worth of a friends copy and then she SOLD IT XP

Unfortunately I've kept an eye out for it for years and never been able to get a hold of a copy (it was always out of stock or massively expensive)

So this is a godsend-plus I love the new graphics

Rev Jim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
JBates said:
Rev Jim said:
Some of these comments are laughable.
laugh.gif

Only about an hour and a half into it. So far I love it. At first I didn't care for the graphics, but they're growing on me. I don't know if it is my flashcart, but the loadtimes (can I call them that? loadtimes on a DS WTF) of a second or two to switch areas seem a little weird. Difficulty seems so/so, pretty fair, but not too easy. It's not SMT for God's sake. Just played the GBA version last Summer, so everything has been pretty familiar so far
biggrin.gif
I played the GBA version a few years ago, and I loved it, so I'm afraid of playing this game and it sucking. I'd like to hear from anyone that's played the GBA version if it's worth it to replay on DS.

I definitely recommend it to you if you loved the GBA port of it. So far they seem to be really striving to flesh the characters out and show their struggles and relationship to one another right out of the gate. Like Cecil's conflict about following orders and listening to his conscience for example. Even the relationship he has with Kain and Rosa are explored just like the original early on and even how Cecil and Kain react to their first mission and their opinions to each other. Enjoying the new game is even better I think if you've played the original or GBA port IMO, at least to me so far, but I'm not very far in yet though.

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For you who complain about Wait Mode not working:
The way it works is that the combat gets paused when you're in a sub menu etc when you want to view White Magic spells. I've actually not seen a mode where it pauses entierly when going to a character other than in FFX and above.

Attack(time goes)
White Magic(time goes) -------->spell list(time is paused)
Item(time goes) -------->item list(time paused)

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^
That is what should happen, but try it for yourself, I still get smacked while browsing through magic and item lists..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BadAnimal said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but...

Is there any benefit to playing FF III first, ie. can you transfer your party? Or for any other reason?

Thank you.
FF main-line titles are never connected in anyway, other than moogles cid(name, not person) and chocobo's, unless they carry the same roman number.
example: IX(9) and X(10) have no relationship, but X-2(10-2) plays shortly after, and with several main characters from X(10)
and XII:rw has several main characters from XII, and plays after it's storyline.

knipri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
El Salvador
I'm having lots of fun with this game. I've never played a FF before because I'm allergic to random battles. The only thing I find weird with this game is that Cecil looks like Viewtiful Joe, who's not cool. Cecil should beat that guy up and show him who's boss.

edit: spelling

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
There are a couple of other character names that are in more than one game as well, I can't remember there names now but I think they are the guys in black suits on FF7, the soilders at the start of FF6 that are controlling the girl who can use magic and the friends of that man Squall dreams about in FF8. I'm not 100% if those are the correct people, but I'm sure those games all have the people with the same names. They are usually just background characters, a FF in joke I suppose you could say.

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to play a DS game with actual voiceing but I'm getting kinda bored with the game... it seems like more of the same (i hadnt played the original though). I found ff6 on the gba to be much more interesting. But it is definitely wayyyy better than that ff3 crap.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Antihero2007 said:
There are a couple of other character names that are in more than one game as well, I can't remember there names now but I think they are the guys in black suits on FF7, the soilders at the start of FF6 that are controlling the girl who can use magic and the friends of that man Squall dreams about in FF8. I'm not 100% if those are the correct people, but I'm sure those games all have the people with the same names. They are usually just background characters, a FF in joke I suppose you could say.
In FF6 those guys were Vicks and Wedge (I think). They were in Chrono Trigger.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
Antihero2007 said:
In FF6 those guys were Vicks and Wedge (I think). They were in Chrono Trigger.

The name Vicks doesn't ring a bell but Wedge does. I don't remember them from Chrono Trigger, I don't think I actually complete Chrono Trigger either so I may not have reached them. I think I'll wait till it comes out on DS before I try and play it again (I don't think I stopped because of difficulty I think it was because playing on PC wasn't comfortable and I had to share the PC).

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Antihero2007 said:

Bigs and Wedge?

S

spectral

Is it just me or is the quailty of the BGM really bad in this? At least at the start, I haven't really played it much.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
natkoden said:
Antihero2007 said:

Bigs and Wedge?

Yeah that sounds right Biggs and Wedge. What about Vince was he in more than one game?

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
WARNING 1680x1050 IMAGE!!!

07232008142835al0.png

DO NOT QUESTION MY LOGIC!!!!

jk.

Really Vicks and Wedge, could it be that the was changed in the version I played on PS1? I didn't play the SNES version. Not that I'm questioning your logic, I'm just wondering if maybe when they re-released FF6 on the PS1 they changed the name to Biggs because Wedge and Biggs are together in other FF games. I still have that FF6 game for ps1 around somewhere if I wasn't too lazy I go and check for myself.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
ferrariman said:
OPPS! They were renamed to Biggs and Wedge in the PSX version. Sorry, I never played the PSX version.

07232008154934wu9.jpg

Phew, thought I had seen things.

Interesting anyway I didn't know Bigg's wasn't always Biggs. I wonder if it's a translation thing or like I said before a rethink.

leathco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
svnelvn said:
this first girl who joins the party, what a weakfuck, she dies in 2 hits
hate2.gif

Just like the original....you gotta protect her.

1. Move her to back row.
2. Keep her defending til she levels up a few times, using Cecil to attack.

Her magic comes in rather handy later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...