Gaming So many options...so confusing :-s

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I've got an 8GB class-6 from them in my acekard 2i and it's never given me trouble.

Sorry mate, are you trying to say the brand "Transcend" is good, or are you saying that the 7dayshop.com website is good?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
dsixl said:
Rydian said:
I've got an 8GB class-6 from them in my acekard 2i and it's never given me trouble.

Sorry mate, are you trying to say the brand "Transcend" is good, or are you saying that the 7dayshop.com website is good?

I'm not him but I say both.

I have bought about 5 Memory Cards from there.

An 4GB Class 6 Card, Transcend, worked perfectly.
An 8GB Class 4 Card, Transcend, worked perfectly.
3 8GB Class 6 Cards, Transcend and guess what, works perfectly
wink.gif

The ship from Guernsey, so it takes about 4-5 days at the most to get here and shipping is free, of course there is a faster shipping cost for a bit more money.

I would suggest grabbing the Class 6 Cards, they honestly cost very little extra and it saves a bit of time putting things on it and waiting for it to save, so you know, less time saying "hurry up you slow thing" or something to that effect
wink.gif

The Class 6 Card I have now, when tested, gave me results of 0.9ms Latency and 15MB/s Read Speed which I am told is very good.

I don't know what cut-off points are with them, like having a minimum of 2.5ms Latency and 10MB/s a Read Speed, but no game I have played has come across any sort of slow down and I have played, Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Sonic, Brain Training, Star Wars, Need for Speed, Mario and a lot more.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks very much ejames2100,

i'm gonna order them now. Do u have movies on your sd cards too? If so, what site can u recommend for me?

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just to let you know, i've ordered the Transcends from 7dayshop.com. Lets hope they don't take too long to dispatch the cards.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi again guys!

I've got the dstwo cards today (HURRAY!!!!), but don't have a clue where to start from. I'm still waiting for the fast 8gb micro SDHC cards (7dayshop says dispatched 09/12/10), so for now i only have a 2gb microsd card to use as a testbed.

Any guide on here that i can follow to setup a 2gb sdcard for now??

thanks again

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WOW! Amazing! That took me less than 10 mins to setup and go and some of that time was spent on playing games, LOL!

Thanks so much guys!

1. Now that i've managed to load a couple of games on it, one of my questions is regarding plugins. Do i simply drop any plugin into the root of the sd card or does it need to go into a folder?

2. Am i okay to use the internet with the DSTWO plugged in? If i have blocked sites on the router, will this block the DS too?

3. I want to be able to play at least 100% of games without any problems, so is there any important setting i need to ENABLE/DISABLE for certain games?

Thanks a million again!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
2 - Yes you can use the browser with the DSTwo in. Yes, if a site is blocked on the router it's blocked for everything connecting to it (that's the point of blocking via the router).

3 - You might need "clean mode" for some games, that plays games with no patches (no cheats, no soft-reset, no in-game menus) in order to bypass AP.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
brilliant rydian mate (i like your xmas avator lol!) , thanks.

1. when you say clean mode, what is that and how will i know if a game needs AP bypassing? Can u give me a name of a game that needs AP bypassing, so that i can try it out and see for myself?

2. Is there a way of arranging games/movies into a neat folder structure or do i simply have to keep everything in the root of the card? Other than the .nds files, Are the icon.png files and other jpg's even needed?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Clean Mode makes the DS thinks it's an actual flash cart(I think).
If the game doesn't work in patch mode, then you press 'x' and go to the bottom and switch from patch to clean and see if it works then.

Clean mode doesn't have the real time menu, guides and saves and etc...
So it would be as if it was an actual cart.

Here's a screenshot of my file layout:
iw0j5v.jpg

The Plug-ins go into the Root Menu, and their icons and configs go in the _dstwoplug folder.
I recommend that you right click these folders, and go to properties and tick the hidden box and it will then hide them, so when you're on your DSTwo and in the NDS Section you won't see these folders.

Games you can put into folders also, I have 3, Arcade, Main and Rarely Played, it's easy to press B to back out of a folder and select another one(Which is why hiding the others is a good idea and looks less messy.

If your going to hide your folders, make sure your pc can view hidden folders.Just google 'Your OS(Eg. Windows 7 Home Premium) View hidden folders" and that'll tell you.

Make sure the save files and dtc files are in the same folder as the game.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Many thanks ejames.

I did along the lines of what you told me, but now when i click on fish tycoon, i get a black screen with white writing, telling me there is an error and i need to restart the system.

FYI, I have done the following:-

1. Downloaded panasonic sd card formatter from japan website, as someone told me that windows format can cause slow file reading problems and so i formatted using this method instead.

2. Using the following file/folder structure (i think this maybe where i might have gone wrong!):-

MICROSD CARD ROOT
_dstwo (This folder is hidden like yours and has all the os files)
_dstwoplug (This folder is hidden, but is empty for the moment)
Games (This folder is hidden for the moment as i only want kids to play educational games)
Learn (This folder is visible as it has the educational .nds files)
Movies (This folder is empty for now)

I have put no files in the dstwoplug nor have i changed anything else.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys,

sorry but i was wondering if someone can help me with my previous post?

i'd really appreciate it.

thanks v much

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just got my DSTwo also.

Did you update the firmware for your DSi XL?
You need to run a certain firmware update ".dat" file in the root of your mSD of your DSTwo.

I did this process on my DS Lite, but I believe it will run automatically if you turn on the DSi system with the cartridge and the .dat file in the root of the mSD. It was the same process with updating a precursor flashcart called the iPlayer. You just had to make sure that the DS unit is on for a duration long enough for the update to complete.

Unlike with other carts that change the icon, after updating, the DSTwo still displays the Fish Tycoon icon in the DSi Menu. However it will load instead of the black error screen.
happy.gif

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you mean update the firmware of the dsi directly via the net, then no i didn't. But if you mean if i updated the dstwo firmware to 1.07, then yes i did.

If i need to update the firmware on the dsi, then please tell me how to do this.

Also what .dat file are you referring to and where do i get it from?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are not running the DSi XL's latest firmware, then the fix I described is irrelevant because your card isn't booting for other reasons.

I just thought you had updated your DSi XL firmware (which does block the DSTwo) because the error you described is the error that is displayed if you do that. I don't know that it's necessary to have the "_dstwoplug" directory have anything in it, but, the latest DSTwo OS (isn't really firmware) is version 1.08 not 1.07. The links on the official site are wonky (they didnt update the header, but right below it the recent version is described as 1.08), and some guides on these forums aren't updated to make note of that.

The download button does link to it, but I have also made use of a mirror site ( http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ ) in the past to confirm updates or get faster downloads (for off brand cards that have slow or nonexistent websites).

The file that I had to use to update my DSTwo came from a separate archive than the DSTwo EOS archive, it is called "Firmware 1.05" and is hosted on the Linfoxdomain site.. I just don't remember which guide in the GBAtemp's Supercard forum I found that directed me to this firmware update originally, and I did originally obtain it from the official site.

The update may be included in the DSTwo 1.08 files but I don't really know. I don't know if I was running 1.07 or 1.08 but I did confirm that I needed to run the update to use the DSTwo on my already updated DSi XL, it is a .dat file (ds2update.dat) that runs once and deletes itself upon completion of the update. If you put it where it's supposed to go, this happens automatically, even in an already updated DSi system, but I did it on my DS Lite to be safe and so I could watch the progress bar if there was one.

edit, to clarify:
Your DSi XL's most likely came with Firmware 1.4E installed.
If you are able to go into the DSi Shop at all, then it has been updated to 1.4.1E, which also blocks DSTwo.
There isn't a higher version for Europe or North America currently.

Your DSTwo usually doesn't come "flashed" unless you made sure of it during the purchase process.
The DSTwo EOS files alone will not make the cart work on DSi 1.4.1.
The "DSTwo Firmware Update" must be run in order to make it compatible. It will then be compatible with all DSi 1.4.1 systems even if you reformat your microSD and re-do your EOS files.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks very much exangel, but all i can tell you is that if i have no game files in the root, then the "Fish Tycoon" option won't work and i'll get the error.

However, if i drop a .nds file into the root of the sdcard, then Fish Tycoon will continue until i get the DSTWO title screen (pink/black colours).

FYI, my firmware is 1.4E, and the DSTWO OS is 1.07.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol