Gaming So many options...so confusing :-s

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All three cards are mainly for children, however i might want to have a multiplayer game the odd occasion with friends too.

I've just grab 8gb microsd cards from ebay, which sell for approx £7, so far its 3x£7=£21
wink.gif

Regarding choosing the size of the microsd....after looking at games such as "pokemon" "Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games" which are in the region of 170mb and 260mb each, I'm thinking 8gb is the only option. Do you mean by "dummy data removed", i.e. the size will go smaller? i.e like scrubbed games on the wii??????
unsure.gif
Because if you are, i'd love to find the above games at a smaller size.

Lastly my main goal of paying for a flashcard is to be able to play ALL games and if possible in the near future...now IMHO the difference between the Acecard 2i and the DSTWO is that the DSTWO can play GBA and NES games and that the it can also autoupdate, whereas the 2i cannot....is there any other big feature the DSTWO can do that the 2i can't do?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The big/3D/RPG games are the large ones, normal games are often 32-64 megs (with some being 16), less with trimming of course.

Yes, trimming games removes padding data (ROMs are always a power of 2, but much of it is often empty space), you can save anywhere from 1-50 or more megs per game (depends on the game). You generally don't find them pre-trimmed, you can just use a program to do it for you.
Find 'tinytrimmer' on FileTrip.net
Find 'ndstokyotrim' on FileTrip.net

The DSTwo can play GBA and SNES games, but NES games are playable on any flash cart.
yes, the DSTwo can update itself even if you've updated your DSi/XL and it blocked the cart, whereas with the Aceakrd 2i you'll need to borrow somebody else's un-updated DSi/XL (or normal DS/Lite) in order to run the update on the card (since it won't run the card so the card can't update itself).

Check my chart, dude. The DSTwo has additional AP-bypassing features, it has real-time guide, real-time save, and beefed up movie/music player, and more.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
A friend of mine has 2 kids, and he has them use 1gb cards because children seem to have more of a tolerance for playing one particular game- most adults with supercards that I know (myself included) put as much on as possible, then play 5 minutes of each game until they find one they really feel like playing. Drag and drop means it is no hassle whatsoever to switch games on and off of smaller cards, and you will minimise demands for new games (if they only have 3 on there they are more likely to play through them all before asking for more!).

When I was running an 8gb on mine I found a lot of games fell by the wayside, I would put a whole bundle of games on, play through a couple of them then there would be a hot new release and many of the games I had put on previously would go unplayed.

A 2-4gb card should be more than enough, provided your computer has ample space to keep the roms (I currently use a 2gb in both of my cards as they are higher quality than my 4gb- the only problem I have is if I obtain a rom whilst at work and have run out of space!)

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@ weaselpipe - u r right, but its too late mate, as i've already purchased 8gb cards.

@ rydian - i've decided to go for the DSTWO, but guess wot? The Shoptemp site says its out of stock!
ohmy.gif
Now what shall i do?
cry.gif

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think the usa price is almost the same as uk...just wondering since ur an old timer on gbatemp, if u knew of any uk shops?

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks zizer. I almost forgot to ask something...the 8gb microsd cards i've order are standard Transflash cards...not the SDHC cards....will this be a problem?

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no idea zizer...i've been told by the guy i bought the sd cards that you get i think 2mbps or something like that

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
That's pretty slow, and some slow cards have been known to have problems running a couple of games(Not many).
I bought my MicroSDHC's here and am happy with them if your interested.

A triple pack, so 3 x 4Gb and their Class 4 which is good.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=108705
£16.99

Or this, 8Gb, Class 6 which is the best for write speed, which affects copying files over from pc to the card mostly, but in-game saving is very fast also.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=106211

Edit: What Rydian above said, chances are you got Class 2 cards, shouldn't have much problems except Writing slowness, and the odd slow game but they get fixed by the SC team.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@ Rydian - Thanks very much mate. I was hoping that i can purchase the DSTWO cards today, but i can't seem to set my mind on where to buy. I'm more excited than the kids! LOL!. I just want it fast, yet i also want it as cheap as possible.

@ EJames2100 - LOL! Oh mate, where have you been?? Now you tell me! Why couldn't you tell me this before...i've paid more for 2ndhand, slow cards and this is a bargain! But its too late as i've already paid and purchased the cards.

Nevermind...maybe you can tell me if you know of any uk store selling the DSTWO cards for cheap?

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry guys, but I hope no one feels that I've wasted their time in helping me choose a shop to purchase the flashcart from, but I've ordered my dsTwoi from 360upgrades.co.uk. Its a little more expensive than the out of country websites, but i should get the delivery much more quickly. Subtotal cost excluding the sdcards is £100, so total is £120.

One thing is though that they call it the "Supercard DsTwoi" Whats the i for?

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if you look at the picture and the description, they both say Supercard DsTwo, its just the title that says DsTwoi. So i think it might just be a spelling error.

£32.99? that's more expensive then most sites o.o''

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
dsixl said:
@ EJames2100 - LOL! Oh mate, where have you been?? Now you tell me! Why couldn't you tell me this before...i've paid more for 2ndhand, slow cards and this is a bargain! But its too late as i've already paid and purchased the cards on ebay.

Sorry, busy day
frown.gif

The site seems legit and the chances are they've just added the 'i' to re-assure customers as the rest of the products have the 'i' on them.
Personally I've been quite lucky with buying DSTwo's as I got them out the 'Want To Sell' section here but I'd say £33 is a price I would pay to get it fast
smile.gif

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting some DPG movies on the kid's DS's is a good idea for road trips. Here's a site GBATMW for movies that run on Moonshell DS homebrew. Since you are getting 8GB Micro's I figured I would mention it.

dsixl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys,

I know there are plenty of worldwide websites that sell the DSTWO quite a bit cheaper, but I actually could not find a single UK site which had the DSTWO priced less than £32.99. If you know of any, then please tell me.

Btw, since I'm waiting for the DSTWO and the microSD cards, is there anyway I can grab a copy/backup of someone's DSi microSD card? Saves the time looking for the most popular titles, lol.

Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1