Hacking So if on 5.5.0, is there any reason not to update to 5.5.1?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. Been waiting to hack my 5.5.0 system with things like the IOSU exploit, but from what I hear going around, supposedly 5.5.1 can/will do all that 5.5.0 because the update doesn't affect the portions that 5.5.0 hacks work off of. Is this true?

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
I think its a great time to grab stuff of eshop now ie updates etc as we know its safe for iosu exploit. that said i have decided to stay at 5.5 as from past experience you always regret updating

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh... must i say this every time.

NO. NEVER UPDATE ANYTHING. EVER.

Except it was actually confirmed by Hykem that 5.5.1 is safe from my understanding. All you lose is most entry points, the only one left available being the one by Yellows, which is in fact the most stable.

EDIT: You are right in most cases though, should have pointed that out. The 5.5.1 version should be able to launch using Yellow's entry point. (Guessing) But it was confirmed that the IOSU exploit will work on 5.5.1.

Last edited by Selim873,

Mhetralla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm waiting on 5.5.0. The only thing N updated was the browser, but they maybe implemented a way block the browser in old versions, like they did with the 3DS. And without browser, we don't have any entry point.
Hykem said that the exploit works in 5.5.1, but maybe it only works now. Maybe they block mp4 playback remotely when the exploit is released, and then fix it with an update.
I'm paranoic, but every caution matters with this things.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My rule is just to never update. I don't care if the update is confirmed safe, I never update. If you want to play games online, and download stuff from teh eShop, I can't stop you.

That's what kept my WiiU unplugged from power for over a month. As soon as I found out Hykem confirmed it would work on 5.5.1, I went ahead and updated so I could play Splatoon and Mario Maker. Hopefully one of those background devs with the IOSU exploit has an EmuNAND solution in the works, which is really all I need. (I heard there's a group working with Hykem)

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm waiting on 5.5.0. The only thing N updated was the browser, but they maybe implemented a way block the browser in old versions, like they did with the 3DS. And without browser, we don't have any entry point.
Hykem said that the exploit works in 5.5.1, but maybe it only works now. Maybe they block mp4 playback remotely when the exploit is released, and then fix it with an update.
They didn't add a way to block the browser in older versions, Crediar already said that there is no such thing on the Console.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

They didn't add a way to block the browser in older versions, Crediar already said that there is no such thing on the Console.

EXACTLY!

The misinformation on these forums in incredible.

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
Smea, crediar, Yellow8 Confirmed on irc they are on 5.5.1 today

OSv10 (ISOU, PPC kernel, SDK libs) wasn't update between 5.5.0 and 5.5.1
webkit was updated but the exploit we got still works

Last edited by hashcheck1,
Reactions: Deleted User

Bhampster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah well... I update everything that gets an update.

I don't care anymore about the vapor-ware exploits and there's plenty of stuff I want from the eshop.

Wii U is about done ... Focus and hype is for NX. I think I can outright buy all the Wii U games I'm going to want.

That said, I'm very grateful I was able to homebrew my Vwii or else I would need to keep my Wii in my already complicated system.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rule of thumb is never update, Stickies said 5.4 and 5.5 were both exploitable meanwhile only 5.4 has anything coming out.

But I don't think anything is coming out anytime soon, yes it's all done and sitting on peoples hard drive and it's going to stay there while they troll, post pictures, make false announcements for publicity to get followers on their twitter and if you dare ask if/when you are either going to be lied to or told you are cheap and need to go buy a 5.3.2 console you dirty pirate.

So if it's keeping you offline I'd go ahead and update, or be prepared to be trolled indefinitely while elitists slurp up your tears for nourishment.

Reactions: Guy50570

monito uchiha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is my situation! My console is at 5.5.0 and I like to play Mario Maker levels on-line but they release a new update today for the game so I'm forced to update the firmware to 5.5.1 just to get the new software update! And 3 of the best hacker's (in consoles) are telling to us that 5.5.1 its okay. So there's no problem. The rule always is not to update but Hykem wrote that is fine so... The rule doesn't apply..

(Sorry for my bad English)

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
The thing with online consoles is you really have to decide if you want online(ie patches online play) or homebrew. It's catch 22. I think when my Nintendo network rolls out the wiiu is going to see a major is update and we will be in that hard choice again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill