So I moved, and the people here have a Rottweiler...

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That article says absolutely nothing about Americans loving their pets more than other countries. If anything, it illustrates the extremity with which people in Prussia and Rome have pampered their pets. Furthermore, it's been happening for thousands of years (think of how ancient Egypt was with their cats).

Americans even go pet-crazy by keeping tigers, lions, boas and other wierd shit that belongs in the forest into their homes. Why is that?
My grandpa kept a pet monkey in the Philippines when he was a kid. My fiance's great-grandma kept two tigers as pets in Indonesia a hundred years ago.

It's not just Americans, and it's not some "crazy" trend that just recently started.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI - i hate pets.

My question: What is the fascination in this country with pets? Is it the lack of social interaction with other people or does it go deeper?

Psychological benefits of having a pet are irrefutable, so yes, it goes deeper. Either you had a traumatic experience with animals or you don't like them for some reason. I for one, enjoy the company of animals, but it will never be a substitute for being around people. I mean, who can resist a pet like this? There's nothing wrong with having pets, people who have them have better overall mental health.

A pet marble fox? WANT! B-)

shadow%20arctic%20marble%20fox.jpg

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That article says absolutely nothing about Americans loving their pets more than other countries. If anything, it illustrates the extremity with which people in Prussia and Rome have pampered their pets. Furthermore, it's been happening for thousands of years (think of how ancient Egypt was with their cats).

My grandpa kept a pet monkey in the Philippines when he was a kid. My fiance's great-grandma kept two tigers as pets in Indonesia a hundred years ago.

It's not just Americans, and it's not some "crazy" trend that just recently started.
Whoa... 2 tigers as pets? I knwo they can be trained and all but damn... O.O

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Psychological benefits of having a pet are irrefutable, so yes, it goes deeper. Either you had a traumatic experience with animals or you don't like them for some reason. I for one, enjoy the company of animals, but it will never be a substitute for being around people. I mean, who can resist a pet like this? There's nothing wrong with having pets, people who have them have better overall mental health.

A pet marble fox? WANT! B-)

shadow%20arctic%20marble%20fox.jpg
I would L..O..V...E to have a fox as a pet, especially that one.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would L..O..V...E to have a fox as a pet, especially that one.
I know right? I've been wanting to have a fox as a pet for a long time! I should create a thread about this place I went to where I got to play with a fox! Now they're legal to own in my home state.

I should be careful, I might derail this thread...I mean even more than I already did ;) Let's just say they're my favorite animal, right up there with dogs. Heck, anything from the Canid/Canidae family I love!

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Man, my current kitten's hyperactivity is almost too much to handle, no way I could keep something like a fox.
You should see my Jack Russell. The little bugger is only 8 months old, he races around the house and runs in a figure of eight in the garden for ages. He also pees everywhere when I walk through the door on an evening. Yes, having a pet is certainly calming.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've known plenty of people that have the "HOLY CRAP IT'S A HUMAN I SHALL PROCEED TO PISS" dogs...
You mean like a Pomeranian or Chihuahua? I can't stand those breeds.

Oh. My. Gosh.

WANT.

Glad so many people love foxes so much.

Ermagersh, flerffy ferxes! :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well one was a lab, and one was a golden retriever. But yeah it's usually the smaller dogs. Their tiny muscles can't hold back the flow of joy!

Okay, those breeds I absolutely love, especially Labradors. There was this super friendly lab at the corner down the street from where I lived and every time I walked past, she'd always go crazy and want attention. And seeing as I have an Achilles Heel for animals, I had no choice to give in. It made me feel all warm inside, and now that I know the science behind the physiological changes that occur when interacting with animals, I strive to do it as much as possible. Dogs, foxes, coyotes and wolves (in their tame/domesticated state) are the only time I ever used the word "cute" or "adorable". That fox picture I posted gives people cuteness poisoning. True story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....