OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yup, killed my Wii. I tried to install the Cyclo-wiz and somehow burnt out my dvd drive. It's not recieving power at all, and I checked all the soldering points to make sure there were no bridges. Even after removing the chip, it still doesn't work.

Funny thing is, the Wii works fine, I just can't use the disk channel
rofl2.gif

So this morning I packaged it all up and returned it to Best Buy. They happily took it back and gave me store credit, as they are still out of stock. I can't believe this far past launch there's still shortages. Oh well, I'm just super happy they returned it without any questions.

Anyway, maybe it was bad luck. I'm wondering if I should try again on the new unit. Problem is, I'm not sure if they will return it again if I mess it up again, unless I get the Wii from a different Best Buy. Should I try again?

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea

I was going to quick solder my wiikey,but i changed my mind.
I'm going to take it to a repair shop or something in have them do the wire method. 20 dollars isnt that much compared to bricking my wii even though i have a warrenty =D

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just stay calm, I remember when I got a "disk read error" on my PS2, I fixed it about three or four times and then more parts just kept breaking and soon my PS2 was ripped into millions of pieces after being thrown down the stairs eight or nine times. You should probably take some soldering classes and find out how different people installed theirs. If you are not completely sure you can do it, find someone who will help you. If no one will help you, you might have to risk your precious Wii again.

spankachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a friend (well, an ex-coworker that I never talk to anymore) that used to do xbox mods all the time. I think I'll call him up and see if he wants to take a stab at it. Now I just have to find a Wii =D

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Just stay calm, I remember when I got a "disk read error" on my PS2, I fixed it about three or four times and then more parts just kept breaking and soon my PS2 was ripped into millions of pieces after being thrown down the stairs eight or nine times. You should probably take some soldering classes and find out how different people installed theirs. If you are not completely sure you can do it, find someone who will help you. If no one will help you, you might have to risk your precious Wii again.

They have soldering classes? Where?

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haha I think what will happen is that best buy will send it to Nintendo and Nintendo will probably say: ''Herrow! you have attempted to mod your wii! No garranty! Thank you come again'' And then best buy will say: Heej! you screwd us over! no new wii for U...

We will just have to wait and see...

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny how members of this board feel that it is poor form to return a self-damaged console to the point of purchase yet have no qualms installing modchips and, eh em, "backing up" and playing copyrighted material.

I'm not condoning either practice but lets have a little balance here!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.