Hacking So I killed my Wii...

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Funny how members of this board feel that it is poor form to return a self-damaged console to the point of purchase yet have no qualms installing modchips and, eh em, "backing up" and playing copyrighted material.Â

I'm not condoning either practice but lets have a little balance here!
Whilst I see your point the two things are not equal.
"Backing up" is copyright infringement (which cannot be considered theft as nothing has been physically taken away from the owner) whilst returning a "self-damaged console" is defrauding a business, I'm not sure exactly how you classify that.

Are they both wrong? we can all judge that for ourselves. Are they both illegal? I would say so. Are they balanced? They're not the same thing so I guess it depends what 'weight' you give to each of them.

captain^k

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I was going to say you have my condolences however it sounds like you got a sweet deal returning it to one of those stores
wink.gif

instigator: ahh yes, the warped morals of a pirate are a beautiful thing
nyanya.gif

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny how members of this board feel that it is poor form to return a self-damaged console to the point of purchase yet have no qualms installing modchips and, eh em, "backing up" and playing copyrighted material.Â

I'm not condoning either practice but lets have a little balance here!Whilst I see your point the two things are not equal.
"Backing up" is copyright infringement (which cannot be considered theft as nothing has been physically taken away from the owner) whilst returning a "self-damaged console" is defrauding a business, I'm not sure exactly how you classify that.

Are they both wrong? we can all judge that for ourselves. Are they both illegal? I would say so. Are they balanced? They're not the same thing so I guess it depends what 'weight' you give to each of them.

At the risk of further hijacking this thread I'll have to correct you on the your definition of theft. Theft is universally defined as taking someone else's property without consent. Downloading copyrighted material clearly fits this definition.

But you are right when you say both acts are illegal.

I say fill your boots and do what you have to do. I'd just be prepared for the consequences and I certainly wouldn't suggest broadcasting it on a message board
smile.gif

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I'm not condoning either practice but lets have a little balance here!Whilst I see your point the two things are not equal.

At the risk of further hijacking this thread I'll have to correct you on the your definition of theft. Theft is universally defined as taking someone else's property without consent. Downloading copyrighted material clearly fits this definition.

I say fill your boots and do what you have to do. I'd just be prepared for the consequences and I certainly wouldn't suggest broadcasting it on a message board
smile.gif
I see your risk taking and raise you one
wink.gif

You may try correct me but I still disagree with your point. As you say theft can (or is) defined as taking somebodies property without consent. However by "backing up" a game (either from your own original or some other source) is copying the information from that original medium. That is not taking anything from someone, consent doesn't come into it.
All that said I am certainly not advocating doing such a thing... no, not me... never
wink2.gif

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
And games come with instruction booklets and warnings and flyers that state that copying copyrighted stuff, read intellectual properties, is stricly illegal. It is a theft, if you don't believe me... [email protected] ... Ask them.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And games come with instruction booklets and warnings and flyers that state that copying copyrighted stuff, read intellectual properties, is stricly illegal. It is a theft, if you don't believe me... [email protected] ... Ask them.
I promise this is my last statement about this in this thread.
I am NOT arguing that copying or receiving/possessing copies of copyrighted material without consent of the copyright holder is illegal. I am well aware that it is.
It however is NOT theft. That both are crimes in many (if not all) countries is well known.
Please see this Wikipedia page if you would like to read some more.

I have not stated that copyright infringement is right, nor that it is a lesser crime to theft. It is however different.

Back to the judging of the failed modder and their actions.

h3xx3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you check the tiny fuse by the solder points??

There are numerous topics about this exact same problem?

Either way I hope you get your new wii soon
smile.gif

I'm glad I have a 15W iron with a 0.5mm tip oh and lots of years experience. I'd cry if I fried my wii... & my kids would kill me when I finished crying
smile.gif

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

smile.gif
I see your risk taking and raise you one
wink.gif

You may try correct me but I still disagree with your point. As you say theft can (or is) defined as taking somebodies property without consent. However by "backing up" a game (either from your own original or some other source) is copying the information from that original medium. That is not taking anything from someone, consent doesn't come into it.
All that said I am certainly not advocating doing such a thing... no, not me... never
wink2.gif

Disagree. Consent is of paramount importance and is the crux of the argument. Purchasing software legally merely gives the consumer permission to use the software. It does not give you permission to copy/distribute it.

"Software piracy is the unauthorized use of software. It includes the illegal duplication of copyrighted software or the installation of copyrighted software on more computers than authorized under terms of the software license agreement. (Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P) 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.)

When an individual or institution purchases software, they only purchase the right to use the software. The copyright belongs to the developers of corporation who produces the software."

http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/wp/copyright-2002/s...racyfaqs.html#1

I believe that you are right when you say that it is not technically, under the law anyway, theft. But there are parallels. Obviously backing up for personal use is a completely different kettle of fish than copying/broadcasting/distributing. This deprives the copyright owner of reasonably expected income.

I think this argument comes down to morals. It is morally wrong to knowingly give a self-destroyed Wii back to the store. It may not be illegal, however, if the store doesn't expressly forbid this (as Nintendo does). You just tell them it is busted and that's the end of it!

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, killed my Wii. I tried to install the Cyclo-wiz and somehow burnt out my dvd drive. It's not recieving power at all, and I checked all the soldering points to make sure there were no bridges. Even after removing the chip, it still doesn't work.

Funny thing is, the Wii works fine, I just can't use the disk channelÂ
rofl2.gif

So this morning I packaged it all up and returned it to Best Buy. They happily took it back and gave me store credit, as they are still out of stock. I can't believe this far past launch there's still shortages. Oh well, I'm just super happy they returned it without any questions.

Anyway, maybe it was bad luck. I'm wondering if I should try again on the new unit. Problem is, I'm not sure if they will return it again if I mess it up again, unless I get the Wii from a different Best Buy. Should I try again?

i would say let a professonal do it for you

spankachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, did I ever swat the hornet's nest. I'm not saying what I did wasn't wrong, but I mean in the greater scheme of things, my crime is fairly petty. It's not like I stapped a man with my soldering iron =)

Anyway, I'll probably not do it again. For one thing, the new Wii I'll get will almost certainly have DB2 chipset so my chip won't work anyway. I think I learned my lesson and I'll be patient for a method that's a bit safer, like custom firmware or SD hack or the like.

We''ll see wha tthe future brings =)

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, did I ever swat the hornet's nest. I'm not saying what I did wasn't wrong, but I mean in the greater scheme of things, my crime is fairly petty. It's not like I stapped a man with my soldering iron =)

Anyway, I'll probably not do it again. For one thing, the new Wii I'll get will almost certainly have DB2 chipset so my chip won't work anyway. I think I learned my lesson and I'll be patient for a method that's a bit safer, like custom firmware or SD hack or the like.

We''ll see wha tthe future brings =)

i think the deal that pisses most ppl off is you took a wii out of someone elses hands bc u messed it up. They are still hard to find but i bought wii #7 and wii #8 yesterday
biggrin.gif

spankachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i think the deal that pisses most ppl off is you took a wii out of someone elses hands bc u messed it up. They are still hard to find but i bought wii #7 and wii #8 yesterdayÂ
biggrin.gif

I don't think that's it at all. I mean, look at all those meat hooks who bought 20 at launch and sold them for 200% profit on E-Bay... sure it's not illegal, but it's pretty low... in my opinion worse than what I did. I took advantage of a huge corperation who will get their money back no matter what I did to the Wii, either though Nintendo themselves, or writing it off in taxes. These guys selling on E-Bay are taking advantage of induvidual people.

Anyway, I digress, I mean, if you are desperate enough to buy a Wii for $500, I guess you are the one choosing to be taken advantage of...

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think the deal that pisses most ppl off is you took a wii out of someone elses hands bc u messed it up. They are still hard to find but i bought wii #7 and wii #8 yesterday 
biggrin.gif

I don't think that's it at all. I mean, look at all those meat hooks who bought 20 at launch and sold them for 200% profit on E-Bay... sure it's not illegal, but it's pretty low... in my opinion worse than what I did. I took advantage of a huge corperation who will get their money back no matter what I did to the Wii, either though Nintendo themselves, or writing it off in taxes. These guys selling on E-Bay are taking advantage of induvidual people.

Anyway, I digress, I mean, if you are desperate enough to buy a Wii for $500, I guess you are the one choosing to be taken advantage of...

every wii i got was for a family member i am in texas wii #7 went to an aunt in St louis and #8 is a back up just in case i mess up modding
ph34r.gif

spankachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i think the deal that pisses most ppl off is you took a wii out of someone elses hands bc u messed it up. They are still hard to find but i bought wii #7 and wii #8 yesterdayÂ
biggrin.gif

every wii i got was for a family member i am in texas wii #7 went to an aunt in St louis and #8 is a back up just in case i mess up modding
ph34r.gif

I wasn't refering to you inpeticular. I'm was just making a statement about scalpers as a group.

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif

I wasn't refering to you inpeticular. I'm was just making a statement about scalpers as a group.

i hear that everyone waiting in line for a ps3 on lauch day except me was buying it to resell it just pissed me off.

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how the hell can you afford 8 wii's???

wii # 1: mine launch day
wii # 2: cousins launch day
wii # 3: Brothers for xmas
wii # 4: Sisters for xmas
wii # 5: Uncles for xmas
wii # 6: another cousins after xmas
wii # 7: my aunt bought 2/25
wii # 8: Spare probably gonna get modded and sold bought 2/25

apparently i am the only person in my family that can find them lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh