Snes9x GX 4.4.0 Beta - Feedback requested

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Bladeoner, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    I want to let you guys know that the master branch of snes9x gx has been updated to core 1.57.

Thank you for testing and your feedback.

2. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    So, this means we get an official 4.4.0 from tantric soon!? Nice! :)

hug0-a7x and the_randomizer like this.
  3. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    @Edu64 good news Tantric fixed the intro for Kirby in a way it's not affecting other SA1 games.

Tested both Kirby and Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius all looks good

Last edited by Bladeoner, Nov 16, 2018
    Hakaisha, Edu64, MaeseJesus and 3 others like this.
  4. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    With my test builds, are there other games then Yoshi's Island, were you guys use SuperFX Overclock for?

I want to test if specific Yoshi's Island can be Overclocked always and run other games in Default Speed. That way we can cleanup the code and remove SuperFX Overclock.

Thanks in advance.

rogerioronin likes this.
  5. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Does this mean we can no longer overclock the Super FX games manually?

6. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    Correct it shouldn't be necessary anymore with core 1.57 to overclock. In core 1.53 there are some cases it was really necessary, so that was good that the option was there. The only game I know of now that really needs the overclock is Yoshi's Island.

One important benefit is that if we can reduce the size of the emulator by removing code, it will use less resources and be more responsive. So if we don't need it its better to remove it.

@Dodain47 I just uploaded Snes9x GX 4.4.0 with all changes and the change that removes SuperFX Overclock and only overclocks Yoshi's Island: Snes9x.GX.4.4.0_superfx_overclock_disabled
    So you can give it a try.

Last edited by Bladeoner, Nov 16, 2018
    cvskid, Dodain47 and the_randomizer like this.
  7. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Cool news! I will wait for the new version :)
    Thank you!

8. Edu64

Edu64 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    One of the games where I choose the option of "overclock" is "stunt race fx", but more than anything because I feel that the game is more pleasant in that way.

With respect to "yoshi island", you have to be careful with the option "overclock" because in the final sequence of the game, in the credits part, the performance drops a lot with this option activated, without the option activated, you see well, although the image and sound are desynchronized (tested in previous versions).

In my opinion, the option to choose "overclock" is ideal that is available.

Last edited by Edu64, Nov 17, 2018
    Bladeoner likes this.
  9. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thank you for your feedback I closed the PR. For now it's better not to remove it but to give people the option to turn it on or off.

Dodain47, cvskid and Edu64 like this.
  10. marmalade

marmalade Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2016
    United States
    I tried 4.4.0 and it seems to run pretty well but remember to make game settings video scaling default set to "Default" to be consistent with the other gx emulators

11. magnitudeten

magnitudeten Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2016
    Canada
    I haven't gotten to try this yet, but has anyone tried the Spiderman game (the animated series one)? That one has always had severe audio issues for me on any version of snes9xgx I've tried.

Edit: I tried it last night. Audio in spiderman is sporatic, cuts out, clips, will speed up and down. Beter than the previous version of snes9xI had but still a problem.

Also, I like to play with the wireless hori fighting commander meant for the snes classic, but it doesnt work with this version of snes9x. It will just hold the up direction on its own and I cant really do anything. Is there any chance you could fix this?

Last edited by magnitudeten, Nov 27, 2018
  12. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    I cleaned up the files a little bit on the first page of this thread and uploaded two new ones:
    "Snes9x.GX.4.4.0_Interpolation", this contains:
    - All fixes up until now which are in the Snes9x GX master branch
    - Fix uninitialized warning and aliased pointers. --> I have opened a Pull Request today for that but it's included
    - I have added five Interpolation Methods which can be chosen from the 'Game Settings' menu, there is a new menu called 'Audio Settings'

The second file "Snes9x.GX.4.4.0_Interpolation_and_Controller_Fix" this is the personal file I use, which contains:
    - All that is included in the "Snes9x.GX.4.4.0_Interpolation"
    - Plus a fix for some controllers, like @magnitudeten describes, this is a known which I tried several times to fix it but can't get it fixed.
    The difficulty with this is that I use an official SNES Classic Controller like the one below, I don't own other controllers to test it with.
    With the fix included I can play with it but if you have a controller with analog sticks you should use the first file:
    https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/15/151457/2129593-snesclassiccontroller1.jpg

For the controller issue there is also a issue open:
    https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/743

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@marmalade to make game settings video scaling default set to "Default" I would suggest to open an issue: https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues
    @magnitudeten for the Spider Man sound issue I would also suggest to open an issue: https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues
    But it's important to know with which version it worked.

Last edited by Bladeoner, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    cvskid and the_randomizer like this.
  13. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Impressive work getting a recent SNES9x build to run most games on the Wii full speed. In my tests some special chip games, such as Star Fox and Parodius 4 - Chatting Parodius Live! (the final SNES entry), aren't running quite full speed -- hovering in the 50-60fps range. They ran full speed with the previous build. Disabling interpolation helps, but not enough. Out of curiosity, did 4.3.9 lack audio interpolation entirely?

14. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    @LumInvader 4.3.9 does use interpolation, the Gaussian one. I just made the other ones available as an option.

The reason why it's not running the same as 4.3.9 is because the core is updated to 1.57.

cvskid likes this.
  15. LumInvader

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    That makes sense.

After some testing, I noticed that the controller's 4-way directional mapping isn't implemented correctly. For example, when playing Bomberman, when you are pressing up, Bomberman moves upward. Totally normal behavior. However, when you want to perform a quick turn to the right, you normally do so by banking the directional pad by pressing up-right. Even though you're still technically pushing up, pressing down the right side of the d-pad (diagonally) is supposed to deactivate the upward motion until the right directional button is either released or another direction is triggered. This is how mGBA behaves when playing Bomberman. With Snes9x GX, the right button press doesn't register unless the up button is released. This behavior is most obvious when using the grooved joystick gate of a Gamecube or Classic Controller.

Last edited by LumInvader, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM
  16. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    @LumInvader did you try the file with the controller fix to see if that makes a difference?

17. LumInvader

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Ok, I'll give it a try and report back. Admittedly, I skimmed over the controller issues in this thread since I was under the impression that issue stemmed from using 3rd party controllers, which I don't use.

18. LumInvader

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Seems as though this was an isolated issue. After deleting the emulators, I haven't been able to reproduce the behavior. Diagonal presses are now working as they're supposed to on 4.3.9 and both 4.4.0 builds.

19. Bladeoner
    OP

Bladeoner Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    Netherlands
    Good to hear, thank you for your feedback.