Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does this make use of DynaRec if available? I know that newer firmware versions disabled access to DynaRec (or so I heard) but it can again be re-enabled by using Luma3DS dev version to patch SVC checking.

I seem to recall that some emulators make use of it, if available, and that it results in performance boosts.

Understandable if not using it though, since most people aren't using the dev version of Luma.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Many thanks for this release !!! It rocks !
Most of my favorite games are running full speed and without problems (I have tested them about 10 minutes each).

My 2 cents :

- F-zero is full speed
- Mario Kart PAL full speed
- Axelay : almost full speed
- Space Mega force full speed
and so on...

Problem that I noticed :

- Street fighter 2 world warrior : ground is "shaking" more and more when you go on the far left or far right
- Secret of Mana : "Alien language" in the menu where you select your file/name...
- Pilotwings : sound problem when skydiving (wind)
- Simpsons bart's nightmare : bad backgrounds in Itchy and Scratchy levels (we cannot see the doors for example)

All other problems I have seen are related to special chips I think.

Thanks again, the release is awesome !

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Does this make use of DynaRec if available? I know that newer firmware versions disabled access to DynaRec (or so I heard) but it can again be re-enabled by using Luma3DS dev version to patch SVC checking.

I seem to recall that some emulators make use of it, if available, and that it results in performance boosts.

Understandable if not using it though, since most people aren't using the dev version of Luma.

This emulator doesn't have a Dynarec.

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
After a lot of painstaking work over the weekend, I'm glad to announce that v0.5 is released!

- Implemented major graphic rendering optimizations for color handling, transparency and window effects.
Although codes from BlargSNES was not used directly, the implement idea generally came from BlargSNES.
Some games that use windowing effects should see some / significant performance increase on the old 3DS.

For example:
F-Zero (US / EUR versions) run full speed (almost no frameskips)
Super Mario Kart (EUR) runs full speed (almost no frameskips)
Axelay (US) runs at a playable speed.
Breath of Fire 2 battle transition effects are smooth.
Super Mario World circular window fade-in/out effects are smooth.
Chrono Trigger Intro (the fade in/out from left/right) is now smooth. X-Strike effects also run very fast.
Tales of Phantasia magic effects are now smooth.
etc.

- Fixed sprite flickering problems in Yoshi's Island and DKC2.

- Fixed 256-color background problems. DKC1/2 and Earthworm Jim 2 intro shows up correctly.

- Fixed Mode 7 BG2 problems. Now Super Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back (snowspeeder stage) works correctly.

- Added code to use full clock speed on New 3DS

PS: Since a large part of the graphic rendering engine is overhauled. I will appreciate any bug reports related to games that look ok in v0.42 but have serious graphic defects in v0.5. I've done my best to test any many games as I have (almost a 100 of them) but I may have missed a number of them. :bow:

I believe new 3ds clockspeed is not enabled,or it shouldn't got 30fps with chrono trigger

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
People will always find reasons to whine about, won't they? Especially when they don't have anything to bitch about anymore.
Anyone who has moderated a community, or contributed to one should know this first hand.
This emulator's performance is insanely great for the hardware it's running on. The only thing I could think of needing some improvement is the sound.
And we can do just fine even with what we've already got.

This man (and many others) has sacrificed hundreds of hours of his life to allow your lazy ass to play some 20+ year old games you could have also played literally anywhere else.
That shit runs on freaking calculators nowadays. So don't be an asshole, and be super grateful for what you've got.
The fact that someone actually gave a shit about the O3DS is a fucking miracle.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@pdapanda - Which part of Chrono Trigger drops to 30 fps on the N3DS?

@Xyphoseos - It actually does works in N3DS. But like what I've and many others have previously said, you should probably use the PocketSNES/CATSFC for Retroarch for better compatibility.

@ketal - Nah, that would require testing all over again. Not something that I'd like to do. If you want to rebuild this, just setup the default devkitPro environment. :)

I'll probably try to tie up things a few things up over this weekend:
- Pseudo hi-res support. This should make Air Strike Patrol, Seiken Densetsu 3, Secret of Mana (intro menu), Jurassic Park work better. I've already done something and it's looking well.
- Sprite layering issues (no promises that I can fix this, as implementing this may slow the emulator down)

After that I may have to slow down my work on this emulator. Life and work is quickly catching up! :sleep: Hey, I need to get back to playing games on my own emulator too! :rofl2:

If any dev wants to help out with the sound issues, by all means. I've done some simple checks here and there but never really had much success figuring out the problem.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@pdapanda - oh I know where you are referring to. :) that part uses a special rendering mode in an SNES called offset per tile. In this port, this rendering mode is not very well optimized. So that's why you are getting poor frame rates even on n3ds.

orochi115

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Using V0.5, Yoshi's Isand runs much faster! Although there're still text glitches and BGM lag, and frameskip is significant.
Super Mario Bros 3 has graphic bug: mushrooms and piranha plants appear in front of backdrops.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a New 3DS and Vita so I don't technically NEED this, but it's nice that the option is there for those who haven't upgraded. Too often those players get left out in the cold when a new homebrew emulator is released.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dracula X 1st stage now runs at rock solid 59.5 fps.

Dude, you just keep performing miracles.

That's one of my testing games too just for all the effects in the opening level. I was seriously amazed to see it running practically perfect in v.0.5.

@bubble2k16
Just wondering: is IPS file loading/on-the-fly patching implemented at all in the current version? It's not a necessary feature, but it is implemented in other SNES emulators, including CATSFC and PocketSNES. It doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to implement, from my understanding.

EDIT: never mind, it does have the feature already! Playing MMX3 Zero Project just fine on my 2DS :)

Last edited by kenseiden,
Reactions: Osakasan

tatundria

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@pdapanda - Which part of Chrono Trigger drops to 30 fps on the N3DS?

@Xyphoseos - It actually does works in N3DS. But like what I've and many others have previously said, you should probably use the PocketSNES/CATSFC for Retroarch for better compatibility.

@ketal - Nah, that would require testing all over again. Not something that I'd like to do. If you want to rebuild this, just setup the default devkitPro environment. :)

I'll probably try to tie up things a few things up over this weekend:
- Pseudo hi-res support. This should make Air Strike Patrol, Seiken Densetsu 3, Secret of Mana (intro menu), Jurassic Park work better. I've already done something and it's looking well.
- Sprite layering issues (no promises that I can fix this, as implementing this may slow the emulator down)

After that I may have to slow down my work on this emulator. Life and work is quickly catching up! :sleep: Hey, I need to get back to playing games on my own emulator too! :rofl2:

If any dev wants to help out with the sound issues, by all means. I've done some simple checks here and there but never really had much success figuring out the problem.

Can you make an autoboot version to create forwarders with icons and banners for every game please?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol