SNES-styled RPG game 'Chained Echoes' gets release window

chained echoes.jpg

Publisher Deck13 Spotlight and developer Matthias Linda have revealed the release window for their upcoming RPG game Chained Echoes. The latter, which was initially crowdfunded on KickStarter, bears aesthetics reminiscent of the SNES era and is set in a fantasy universe featuring equal parts dragon and mecha. We received a peek at the game's mechanics and aesthetics in a new trailer aired today:

The continent of Valandis is marked by war and rumors are that a weapon of mass destruction is an imminent danger. Can a group of strangers restore the peace? Can the weapon be destroyed?

Take up your sword, channel your magic or board your Mech. Chained Echoes is a 16-bit SNES style RPG set in a fantasy world where dragons are as common as piloted mechanical suits. Follow a group of heroes as they explore a land filled to the brim with charming characters, fantastic landscapes and vicious foes. Can you bring peace to a continent where war has been waged for generations and betrayal lurks around every corner?

Chained Echoes is a story-driven game where a group of heroes travel around the vast continent of Valandis to bring an end to the war between its three kingdoms. In the course of their journey, they will travel through a wide array of diverse landscapes spanning from wind-tanned plateaus and exotic archipelagos to sunken cities and forgotten dungeons.

The current release window for Chained Echoes is Q4 of this year. It will launch on PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4 4, Xbox One and, through backwards compatibility, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm guessing you're talking about games starting to use 3D
Yes, that.

Mario 64 for example still looks decent, but the DS remake had better models, imo.

PS1's Crash and Spyro "mascot" games are still a lot of fun. Even Jinx (poor man's Spyro/Crash), too.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Why don't modern "SNES style" games ever look like real SNES games? I wish they would just ape the SNES's actual tile system and resolution. And a realistic CRT filter.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why don't modern "SNES style" games ever look like real SNES games? I wish they would just ape the SNES's actual tile system and resolution. And a realistic CRT filter.
Because there's no need for devs to limit themselves to low resolution/mode 7 for 3D effects. That also limits your audience, as gen Z has no nostalgia for an "authentic" SNES experience.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Me at 0:00 - Hmm ok looks like RPG Maker crap.
Me at 0:25 - Hmm ok, some Goldensun, some Zelda, some Final Fantasy, cool cool..
Me at 0:45 - Hmmmmmm.... Xenoblade???
Me at 1:10 - WHAT THE FUCK
Me at 1:43 - O.O

Day 1 buy.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to pay extra attention with that stuff. You can make a 2D sprite based game and nobody will question whether it's 16 bit or not even though the consoles of that era wouldn't have been able to handle it. A good CRT filter (even non-fuzzy scanlines) definitely helps a bit with that vibe. On the Genesis collection on Switch I've got scanlines on and a little bit of the curve from the CRT filter. It helps enough that I can see it as one of the "flat screen" CRTs that did 1080i with the DVI ports.

Wickedchew

Masks Works..Wear it!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice..i really wish that it can zoom in..so i can see the sprites..
my eyes cant see wide screen but small characters actually..

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the retro art style, but ever since playing Pokemon Red/Blue back in the day (and beating them), and as I've gotten older, I just don't have the patience (nor time) for playing turn-based strategy games anymore like I used to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a