Emulation SNES Emulation

Playset6199

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really only thought about it today, but how exactly does a GBA emulate a SNES? It only just clicked in my head that the SNES has X and Y buttons, while the GBA doesn't.
huh.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You press select + L/R for X and Y (this might be able to be changed - but I don't think so). Emulation on the GBA is very choppy, though some games run fine
smile.gif
The screen is also small so the image is cropped in SNESadvance (though Snezziboy fits to screen IIRC)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In SNES Advance, by default L and R are used as X and A buttons, and to actually press L or R on the SNES controller you have to press Select+L or Select+R on the GBA. If you press A+B+Start+Select you can change the key combinations.

In Snezziboy, you have to manually configure the controls for each game by opening the config menu with L+R+Start, though after you change it, it's saved in SRAM. With this, you choose a "CTRL" key which acts sort of like a shift key. For instance, I use L as my control key and set the rest up so that A is A, B is B, Y (SNES) is L+B (GBA), and X (SNES) is L+A (GBA). It sounds complicated, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

In general, SNES emulation on the GBA isn't all that great, but with speedhacks and graphics patches you can make many games enjoyable. I personally enjoy speedhacking games just for something to do, even though I realize that by now very few people will actually use the updated patches.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really not that bad for most games. Some use all four buttons extensively, and for that you'd be best with SNES Advance, while others only use two or three buttons for the most part, and for that both SNES Advance and Snezziboy work fine. It's not that big of a deal, really. Give it a try before you decide that it's not worth it.

See my videos at http://youtube.com/watch?v=MaBG8iC2ErA and http://youtube.com/watch?v=PHq2OzO0m2s for demonstrations of SNES emulation on the GBA.

Playset6199

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use SnemulDS, so it doesn't really matter to me, I just wanted to now how it was accomplished with the lack of buttons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1