SNES Clean Up

WiiFit_Guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see that some SNES are subject to yellowing due to the plastic and depending on the environment (air, sunlight ect.)
My SNES is alright, though I still want to clean it. I got it off a garage sale for cheap, though it still looks dirty. I cleaned the gunk inside near the pin connectors with a 70% alcohol(quick evaporating) and some q-tips.
I want to know what is the best way to clean the SNES. I see some videos have lots of steps to take, and use gallons of peroxide and what what and have this huge container and leave it out for a day. I was wandering if there was a much simpler way and less hassle.

Thanks

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hydrogen peroxide and sunlight are to reverse the yellowing, not to clean it. If your console isn't yellow then the best way to clean it is just to use hot water and ordinary dishwashing soap. I get a lot of NES and SNES consoles that have been in flooded homes, outdoor sheds, dirty basements and so forth, but even the filthiest consoles look like new after washing with hot water and soap. Just wear some thick rubber gloves so you can use very hot water without hurting your hands. Then just scrub with a toothbrush and soap until all the dirt is gone.

But on the other hand, if you're wanting to reverse any yellowing, then I agree that completely submerging the entire housing in hydrogen peroxide and leaving it in sunlight is the best method since it's the only surefire way to get perfectly uniform coverage. Retr0bright and other paste or gel options will work, but it's extremely difficult to get uniform coverage, so even if you are very careful you're likely to get splotchy results which will be far uglier than the yellowing was in the first place.

Just don't try this in winter or it'll end up frozen like this:

Last edited by SmileCitrus,
Reactions: WiiFit_Guy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1