Homebrew WIP SNES Classic Launcher For Nintendo Switch

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@SimonMKWii Do not feed the troll. Report then ignore. It's like being stuck in a car with a wasp. It's always buzzing angrily around, making lots of noise and forcing you to focus on him. Just open the window and get rid of him, hit ignore! :-)
Back on topic, this launcher looks awesome, I hope you're able to get it linked to the emu's at some point. Nice work buddy! :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I have a better allegory of what people in here currently are hyped about.

They clicked on a fishing link made up to look like their banks website. Then watched youtube videos on what their bank would provide them with. Then advertised, that the fishing website was so great, because of all the thinks - they believe to come in the near future - because they saw them in the video. While all the links on the fishing website, currently redirect them to google.

Thats about the extent of whats happening in here.

With an added dev that likes excited posts. And people fiercly defending their believes, that this is the real deal.

onaryc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally, i think it is a great idea and i do not see the problem with retroarch : there will be a version for the switch (if not already the case, i have not followed this yet) and multiple frontend or os use retroarch without using its frontend like retropie/recalbox/emustation. I do not think people at retroarch will block the use of this particular frontend just to push their own.

Furthermore, retroarch is not the only emulators out there!

There could be limitation though but, as a dev, if you stop doing things because there will be limitations (and dick people on the net), you never start a project...

Reactions: RichKK

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I hope you're able to get it linked to the emu's at some point. Nice work buddy! :)
Yes - please hope so, because currently its entirely useless - and there is not even an inkling that would indicate that this will change at any point in the future.

And this is while sentiments like the following are floating around in here:
:switch::grog::bow:
This is amazing. I'd love to see improvements in performance compared to the original SNES classic.

GUI pefrormance? (Strange, the GUi, was pretty speedy already - I have one of those things in the other room here...)

More than 80% of people in here are conflating a gui with the actual emulators doing all the work in the background. And no one tells them.

While emulator projects have NO INTEREST whatsoever, to have their "visual identity" stolen by someone that mocks up a launcher interface - and sells them as "a new thing", which is partly whats happening in here as well.

Also in the analogy of the "annoying wasp" thats always buzzing in your ear, and that you want to report, and ignore - so it goes away - the wasp is called reality - and this congregation of people has to be the first "almost a gif praising cult of gbatemp".

If you confront them with reality - they get angry, because they want to stick to unfounded believes.

So who of the moderators is with them - in prolonging their untrue foundation story - creation myth, and highly unlikely salvation goal? Go fully religious. Try to get a tax exemption also, while you are at it. All the best religions do.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: ov3rkill

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh all this apart from that the dev will get in legal trouble, as soon as he/she releases an endproduct that contains Nintendo's resources. Theres that as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good grief.... another thread derailed by Mr MeMeMe.
Then quickly - lets get back on track - with the actual important questions.

Directed at the dev.

How do you plan to launch specific emulated games from within your launcher?
Do you plan on using retroarch, and why didn't you make any reference to it in the first posting. (Some people in here believe, that you will be using retroarch)
How do you plan to release it, when all the assets, are owned by Nintendo?
How do you plan to handle the problem of scraping game covers?
Why didn't you react to the 80% of threads in here, where people were conflating your launcher with the actual emulation backend.

And:
Do you like the hype you generated?

That should be suficent to acttually get a reasonable representation of what is going on.

Also - I'm really sorry or your guy'ses party - you know. Hypetrain. And stuff. (Great, amazing, so cool, ...)

Here is the real issue - unfounded expectations were not contained, but kindled. Over three pages.

Apart from that, this is still a nice project - in its own right.

Last edited by notimp,

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is some confusion or intoxication in this thread so I don't know what this is. If this is a launcher that works fine like USB Loader GX on Wii/Wii U then it would be great even if it needs emulators. Wii U doesn't need one because it can run GameCube and Wii games natively but obviously Switch needs emulators for running any game other than Switch games.

As a side note, I would include PAL interface and mute music options.The FX from the original SNES Mini are alright.

salamandrusker

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
incredible that you could carry the mini snes with the great work that was done with hackchi2, they also have an arm processor which would simplify the emulation theme if you get it you will make history in the scene of this fantastic console

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The Switch .nro ecosystem does support command line parameters.
Command line options:
- to run shareware (doom1.wad), just run 'kgdoom.nro'
- to run doom 1 (doom.wad), run 'kgdoom.nro -doom'
src: https://github.com/kgsws/kgdoom

But Retroarch at the current state cant even be directed to use a specific folder path as the default rom directory. Thats the "worlds apart" thing at the moment.

Also:

- no system for scraping game information or covers /= userfriendly issue still exists.
- people conflating this with the actual emulation layer is a bad thing - as you'll, again - would split support communities, if you'll not make very obvious who is "responsible for what".
- if issues should arise, retroarch might not be very willing to address them - (as you are undercutting their visual identity), at which point you could fork them - and even create more confusion.. ;)

A "hype level" of 6 instead of 11 (out of ten) (as stated originally), imho is fair for the time being.

And everyone looking at this thinking "Hacked Snes Mini!" please don't. Think of it as a skin (- for a launcher). ("just a .gif", "fishing website" - are negative leaning representations of that concept. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think maybe the dev has this in mind as a home brew launcher. Forget retroarch. This could be a good Hb launcher in general.

Ignore Mr tl;Dr Sadsack... We have our optimism that this could be a worthwhile project.

@notimp - we all have something to bring to these forums, but the thing you should bring is silence.

D

Deleted User

This is beautiful. This is exactly what Nintendo should have done themselves instead of pissing about. Good job, hope it will be possible to hold the entire SNES library on this! Would be pretty cool, especially with joycon splitting!

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
HOLY SHIT! In that pace, not only the Switch will become one of the most-selling Nintendo consoles to exist, but also the top 1 Nintendo console in terms of fast hacking progress!
Imagine all the possibilities when that interface can be customized with different stuff!
THIS CAN BE THE FOUNDATION FOR CUSTOM SWITCH MENU THEMES(unofficially), JUST LIKE HOW THE 3DS MENU HAS USER-MADE THEMES AFTER HACKING IT!!!

Last edited by RedoLane,
Reactions: UltiGC

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This looks nice! I don't really understand what it is though.

Is this a gui with retroarch cores, or is it a different emulator?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc