Oldies SNES Black screen

ToothyNom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I have a PAL SNES SNSP-CPU-01 with s-enc and s-CPU A. Got it a while back as "untested" off my local marketplace. The issue is that it has a black screen when I insert Street Fighter 2, the "no video available" goes away when I turn it on as if it was trying to do something. I checked everything I could and there's nothing wrong with it as far as I am concerned. Here are some of the troubleshooting methods I went through. Tested the multi-out AV cable in my N64 and it works. AC power supply outputs 10.5V. The power circuit seems to work fine, steady 5V (5.003) measured at multiple places, 12V present at pin 3 of multi-out AV, and 11.5V also present (some schematics I found say it should be 9V and some say it should be 11.5V), not sure which is right. No corrosion anywhere on the board. Every pin on the cartridge connector goes to where it's supposed to, yes I checked all 80 of them lol. S-ENC seemed to have a burn mark on it so I replaced it. No sound coming out of my TV either, possibly due to the video not being present. Can't check RF. The only thing "wrong" is that the 5V line has 600 ohms short to ground after the voltage regulator. Between the switch and the VR there's OL, and after there's 600 short, not sure if that's normal as it's my only SNES. Removed the reset switch in case it was acting up. After some research it seems PPU1, 2 and CPU go bad on these, is there any way to verify this without an oscilloscope? Got the game from a reputable source so I have no reason to believe it's bad, would be funny if it was. Cleaned the pins anyways. Is there anything you could think of I should try next? Any help is appreciated

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try replacing all the capacitors (they can be bad but not show visible signs) and apply fresh solder and flux to the old joints on the chips in the system, this tends to do the trick for me on most the old era systems i have had give me issues. also i know you say your sure it isn't the game being tempermental but if you can borrow some games from someone to test or another system to test your game on ( maybe a local used game store could help you out) i would try that too, just to rule out any outliers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.