Hacking SMB in Wii homebrew.

XLarge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In many Wii applications (like WiiSX or Wad Manager Gui) you can find a so called SMB function. I heard it did filesharing so I started researching it a little bit and I think it could really come in handy because I only have an SD card to put my PSX isos on...

All the information I found on the net was kind of hard to understand.
So I'm wondering if there is a program with an easy to use GUI that does SMB in a way that normal can understand so I can use it to stream movies, games, etc...

I would really appreciate your help,

thanks in advance

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wiimc is the easiest for media.just go to the networking tab. add smb then just plug in the info. then youre ready to go. just make sure whatever youre trying to stream is set to "share" obviously.

all the nintendo emulators has a similar smb setup

mplayerce is diff though you have to access the smb.config file and enter the info in the mplayer folder inside your app folder.

hope that helps

XLarge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
ringwurm1984 said:
wiimc is the easiest for media.just go to the networking tab. add smb then just plug in the info. then youre ready to go. just make sure whatever youre trying to stream is set to "share" obviously.

mplayerce is diff though you have to access the smb.config file and enter the info in the mplayer folder inside your app folder.

hope that helps
Wait, does this mean I don't need any extra software for my laptop? Just put the files to share and that's it?

Edit: How do I set it up on my computer?

Display name: doesn't matter?
Share IP: IP address of my pc?
Share Name: ?
Username: doesn't matter
pw: doesn't matter

Reactions: Arlis05

codiak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use the windows network sharing feature.
Share IP is the IP Adress of the Host (your laptop)
Share Name is the given name of the share.
Username and Password should be the same as your logondata of the host (your laptop)

XLarge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
codiak said:
Just use the windows network sharing feature.
Share IP is the IP Adress of the Host (your laptop)
Share Name is the given name of the share.
Username and Password should be the same as your logondata of the host (your laptop)
Okay so I went to Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup

and clicked videos, pictures and documents... then I clicked save

Now I just enter my data in the Wii and it should work?

edit: Share name? Do I just enter the name of the folder there?

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
NOT a homegroup.. you just need to right click on the folder -> properties, and go to sharing tab and share it.

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
XLarge said:
ringwurm1984 said:

hope that helps
Wait, does this mean I don't need any extra software for my laptop? Just put the files to share and that's it?

Edit: How do I set it up on my computer?

Display name: doesn't matter?
Share IP: IP address of my pc?
Share Name: ?
Username: doesn't matter
pw: doesn't matter

no you dont need any software just your homebrew app, a network connection, and to set the folder to share.

im on win 7 so i just rightclicked and picked share. i just set mine up to share the entire external drive (g) so my set up looks like this

display name: (blank youre right not needed)
share ip:xxx.xxx.x.xxx
share name: g
username: these next two are only needed if you use these to sign in
password:

your share ip to access on windows 7. control panel, network and internet, network and sharing center, local area connection, details, and its the IPv4 address

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haven't been able to get this to work, myself. always goes straight to cannot connect, even though it has the right ip address, shared name, my user name and password...

edit: this is in snes9x, not sure what else uses the same thing

Ganjagrinda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Barbados
Here is how I got it to work on Win7.

SMB Sharing - the secure way

1) Type "Win+R", then "compmgmt.msc" (this'll open Computer Management).
2) Expand "System Tools", then "Local Users and Groups". Right-click on "Users" and choose "New User..."
3) Define "User name" and "Password" (I recommend using "wii" as user name).
Untick the "User must change password at next logon" box.
Tick the "Password never expires" box.
Click create, then close.
4) Right click on the newly created user "wii" and select "Properties". View the "Member of" tab. Delete "user" from this list. Then click ok.
5) Don't close the window "Computer Management"
6) Open "Local Security Policy" by typing "Win+R", then "secpol.msc".
Extend "Local Policies" and click "User Rights Assignment"
Double click the "Access this computer from the network" policy.
Click on "Add User or Group". Type in "wii", then click ok. You can now close the window "Local Security Policy".

Creating a Share with Computer Management

7a) Activate the window "Computer Management".
Expand "System Tools", then "Shared Folders". Right-click on "Shares" and choose "New Share".
Follow the instructions (browse to the folder you want to share). On the next page, type in the "Share name".
On the next page, choose the option "Customize permissions".
Click on "Custom...". Remove the User "Everyone" and add the User "wii". The permission "Read (Allow)" should already be ticked for the user "wii".
Click on "Finish".

Creating a Share with Windows Explorer
7b) In Windows Explorer, click on "Tools", "Folder Options". Activate the "View" tab. Find "Use Sharing Wizard" and untick it. Close Folder Options.
Navigate to the folder you want to share. Right-click it and choose "Properties". Activate the tab "Sharing".
Click on "Advanced Sharing...". Tick "Share this folder". Type in the Share Name.
Now click on "Permissions", remove the User "Everyone" and add the User "wii". The permission "Read (Allow)" should already be ticked for the User "wii". Close all windows by clicking on OK.

Hope that helps a bit.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: What are we playing today?