Smash Brothers Dairantou X - Online Discussion

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Zed03, Feb 5, 2008.

Feb 5, 2008
  1. Zed03
    OP

Newcomer Zed03 Member

Albania
    This thread will discuss methods of enabling online Brawl play on US and PAL consoles.

What is known so far:

IGN has confirmed that Brawl game searching is some how regioned to reduce online lag, and will only pair players in a similar region.
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849570p1.html

This is confirmed with the DVD5 and DVD9 release, as US players cannot find any games using Brawl match (in the rare case that they play with someone in the states - only two reports of this). However, spectator mode works.

Information on wifi play from smash dojo: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/index.html

Connection screen:
    [​IMG]

Online game type screen:
    [​IMG]

Online options screen:
    [​IMG]

Battle type screen:
    [​IMG]

Message sending:
    [​IMG]

DVD5 & DVD9

* Spectator mode works
    * Join a game by friend code works (Play With Friends)
    - Brawl match (Basic Brawl) search will only pair with US players (aka no one)
    - Team Brawl (Team battle) match search will only pair with US players

Method which Brawl uses to region:

Your console's online region is more then likely decided by your IP. The online region is not decided by Wii firmware. 3.1J consoles in the US or Canada cannot find games with 3.1J consoles in Asia, as confirmed by IGN. Similarly, updating 3.1U firmware to 3.1J via 100% update does not change this.

In addition, your online region is likely resolved by queering the ack host of your IP, not by IP range. This means spoofing your IP or requesting a modified IP range from your service provider will not work. Spoofing will prevent any communication with your console, as acks will be directed to the spoofed IP, and, if our theory of resolving ack host is right, a new IP range will still result in Brawl resolving your region from ISP (your source of packets), not source IP range.

The solution would be to route your Wii's communication through a proxy who's IP ack host will resolve to a J region.

So the question is - how would we go about routing a Wii through a proxy?

2. DaWiis

Newcomer DaWiis Advanced Member

Norway
    Tnx for the info [​IMG]
    I have no Idea how to help though :/

3. rabhw

Newcomer rabhw Member

Canada
    I don't have the spectator mode icon for my menu, does it need to be unlocked?

4. Zed03
    OP

Newcomer Zed03 Member

Albania

No - the menu is not modified by anything - are you sure you are at the right screen?

5. No Limitz

Newcomer No Limitz Member

Canada
    If you have an FC of someone in Japan can you battle that way?

6. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would assume so... we've been using friend codes on here and they've worked fine... I doubt they would block friend codes from working internationally.

I'm glad to see people are working on figuring out this wifi matching stuff in Brawl... I am really surprised they would block regions instead of just sorting people by ping... but I guess they're having enough trouble keeping the service running in Japan. :/

I'm out of town right now, but when I get home maybe I'll try a few things with IP address spoofing...

7. Alfangus

Newcomer Alfangus Member

Australia
    I don't get the Spectator menu button either, or the options button on the main Wi-fi screen. Does anyone else have this problem, or maybe know why this could be happening?

8. gamingguru05

Newcomer gamingguru05 Advanced Member

United States
    If anyone wants to play a couple matches online send me a message.