GCN [tutorial] How to play melee (and other games) online on an actual gamecube!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,135
  • Replies 11
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
(credit to psychoticworm)
(note: some links have been removed or replaced)

Restrictions for playing online: You MUST have some sort of broadband internet access, and you must have DHCP provided by your ISP.(to find out if you have DHCP enabled internet, go to Start>Run>command> and type "ipconfig /all" if it says anywhere in the list 'DHCP enabled' or any DHCP server number, then you have it.) If you do not have DHCP, you can still play online, but you will have to contact somebody else, or read the gcars-doc.txt file in the gcars folder.
OK! first and formost, you need the right version of SSBM. Check your SSBM disc. If it says DL-DOL-GALE-USA on the top, and if it says DOL-GALE-0-00 USA in small letters around the inner ring on the bottom of the disc, you're in luck!! NOTE: If your SSBM disc says anything different from this, you will not be able to play online, because the software you have to use does not support anything else but USA v1.0(for NOW)

ALSO, you will need to make sure another friend has the same hardware and version of SSBM as you need to play. You MUST have somebody else you know that can do this, because later on you will need to exchange external IP's to play. The program you use is in its prime, still in beta stages, but works PERFECTLY with un-noticable lag, if you set up everything correctly.

OK that being said, lets get started! You will need the following things:

-=HARDWARE=-
-Internet Connection(duh)
-Router(any will do)
-2 straight-thru network cables(NOT crossover) one for router to hook to the computer, and one for gamecube to hook to the router.
-Gamecube
-1 WIRED Controller(must be wired)
-1 Gamecube Broadband Adapter
-1 memory card(only needed to bypass all the PSO crap) prefferably one without any important saved data on it.
-1 Copy of Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2( any version as long as its the non-plus edition only)
-1 Copy of Super Smash Bros Melee DOL-GALE-0-00 USA

-=SOFTWARE=- (just save to your desktop, and unzip)
https://web.archive.org/web/2006022...r_software/files/gcars-cs-public-beta-095.zip
https://web.archive.org/web/2006022...iles/gc/homebrewn/applications/czn-psul11.zip

OK make sure everything is hooked up properly. have your modem/internet hooked into port #1 of your router, and have the gamecube hooked up to port #2(or any ports you want)

Step 1: open up command prompt(Start>Run>command> type "ipconfig" and leave it open

Step 2: put in PSO, got to Options, Network Options, Provider Option
press yes, press yes, click on network setup, edit menu, press Next, choose "Manually set an IP address" and "Do not automatically Disconnect"
click next, choose an IP that you want your gamecube to have(must be on the same network as your router) Ex: if your router's address is 192.168.1.1, set your gamecube to 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: whatever it says in the command prompt screen
Default Gateway: whatever it says in the command prompt screen
Primary DNS: the IP Address(also shown in ipconfig screen) of your computer
click next, next, Save.(you're done dont worry aobut the other blank spaces)

Step 3: Start an Online Game(create character, and profile, any will do) then choose it, press Confirm, press agree
enter ANY serial number, any access key, and any password press ok, register, then wait at that screen.

Step 4: go to your desktop, and put the PSUL.exe into the gcars folder, so that both files are in the same folder. then drag and drop gcars.dol into PSUL.exe.(a command promt should come up and say "Waiting for connection")

Step 5: finally go back to PSO and click Yes and Yes and you should see the bluish vortex, and eventually a greenish room will appear with animated objects, and eventually the PSUL tool will close by itself from your computer, and gcars will be running on your gamecube!!

CONGRATULATIONS IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR! you are almost ready to play online. With this program, you will eventually be able to play any Gamecube game online with friends! just look for the latest gcars-cs file whenever you can. The information here on is also covered in the 'gcars-doc.txt' file in the gcars folder.
The next few steps may be a little confusing, so read CAREFULLY!

To immediately start an online SSBM game, choose Control Simulator from the list.(ignore any errors that say 'card slot failed to init') This program comes with a built in Cheat menu, so by default, certain SSBM codes are turned on, so you want to make sure you and your friends all have the same cheats on(to get all characters and stages) so that the game doesn't desync. To do that, first go to Edit Game List > choose SSBM > select the option "Number of codes" > and turn the cheats you want on. Blue letters means it is on, white means its off. I would suggest you and whoever you are playing with has the Enable Code on, and the Disable Special Messages code on to start with. After you have whatever codes on you want, press B twice(again if the card slot error comes up just ignore it) get back to the ControlSim setup screen. Now choose Network Setup.

What you want to do here is figure out who will be 1st player, 2nd player, etc. If you use DHCP like I mentioned earlier, this will be really easy. If you are first player, you set Local Controller to 1(default) and have all other players do the same for whatever controller they will be. Set the Network Game ID to whatever number you want, but MAKE SURE all the players have the same exact number. Don't worry about the BBA Speed option.

Now, set the 1st IP address to whoever player one will be. Lets say for example, player 1's external IP is 55.222.222.222. If you are player one, just put in 000.000.000.000(this will enable DHCP and it will auto detect your Subnet Mask and Default Gateway, so you don't have to mess with them!) but have ALL OTHER PLAYERS enter the external IP of whoever player 1 is. To find out what your external IP is, just go to www.whatsmyip.org.
Player 1 will also have to enter the external IP of whoever players 2-4 are, in the appropriate fields. Lets just say player 2's external IP is 44.111.111.111.

If you are player 2, you just put 000.000.000.000 on the "IP Address 2" field, and enter the external IP address of player 1 in the first feild.

After that, just press B, and go to Autodetect and Start
then open disc drive, put in SSBM, WAIT UNTIL ALL PLAYERS SAY Connected
after everyones screen says all people playing are connected, press A to change status to Ready!
Player 1 press start! YOU ARE NOW PLAYING ONLINE SSBM

NOTE: You will not want to set up any match in which something random might happen(IE: using G&W's >B move; picking Pokemon Stadium, Icicle Mountain, or Dream Land, or other certain levels, having items turned on, etc..) whatever has a random occurance, do not do a match with it. this is to prevent desyncing the game.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Very nice Guide,my Freind.:)
I did not now this is still working.
Thank you for your work.:yay:

P.S. Did you also tried it maybe with NINTENDONT too ?
wowie hold up I only posted the tutorial. The REAL guy you should thank is psychoticworm, ho made both the program and the tutorial. Just wanted to clarify.

Reactions: Alexander1970
D

Deleted User

OP
Thank you.:)

That should not stop you from trying it.:D
oh i'm gonna try it as soon as i get a broadband adapter, pso, free loader (i have a european wii) and an american copy of melee (although i wanted to get the japanese version since it had one trophy that was not available in either the american or european version)

D

Deleted User

OP
you can also have a 4v4

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this method will also work with stafox assault, super monkey ball 2 AND sonic adventure 2 (the american versions of course)

D

Deleted User

OP
btw the japanese version on pso hadn't been tested so you might wanna use either an american or european pso disk

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
woah thanks man, i used to know the guy who made gcars but lost touch. has game compatability improved these days? i recall there only being a few games he supported during development, and he didnt do much to it after losing interest.

Rag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TLDR: I own everything required to do this and have done a bunch of troubleshooting for it in the past, but need to find someone to test with.

I found this thread by complete accident. I have no idea if anyone even cares about this anymore, but I tried doing this with someone a few months ago and figured I'd share my experience since I'm still interested in it.

First of all, you don't need to use the PSO method to load gcars, any method of running gamecube homebrew will work. I used a memory card exploit and a copy of zelda wind waker.

You must also be using an unmodified gamecube and real discs. I tried it with someone who has a mod chip installed, and it would give a black screen when he tried to load the game, legit disc or not. It will also not work on a wii using nintendont or devolution, since bba emulation in those is done on a game by game basis and neither of them coded in support for this.

I also had to disable dhcp in gcars settings and set the ip to my gamecube's local ip, as otherwise I would get stuck on "arping default gateway". Finally, both of us had to set up dmz for the gamecube, as when it was disabled we would not see the other player enter the lobby.

There seem to be scripts for more games on the fuzziqer site, 7 in total (I'd put a link but I don't post here enough to have that permission, just google fuzziqer software). Assuming they all work (which seems unconfirmed for all of them except melee and possibly sonic), the games are:
Super Smash Bros Melee (must be v1.0)
Sonic Adventure 2
Capcom VS SNK 2
F Zero GX
Soul Calibur 2
Super Monkey Ball 2
Ikaruga

I own all of these except for sonic and ikaruga, but the person I tested with only had f zero and monkey ball. Our test results were unsuccessful, f zero wouldn't recognize the other player, and while monkey ball showed the other player's menu movements, it would crash quickly. I wasn't able to conclude whether the issue was our fault or it was just those particular games not working right.

The only game that I've seen proof of working is melee which would make it the one that I want to test the most, but I haven't been able to find anyone else who owns both that specific disc as well as a gamecube broadband adapter, as these days all this stuff is expensive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...