Smach Zero: New Portable Steam Machine

steamboy.jpg

A while back, we heard talk of a new portable Steam Machine coming out called the "Steam Boy". Not much info on what it was, how it'd look, when it'd release...until now. Resurfacing as "Smach Zero", the company behind it, Smach Zero (what a great name), has officially announced a price and a general ship date, along with a few basic specs.

Here's what we know now:
  • The Smach Zero is expected to ship in Q4 2016, with preorders supposedly opening November 10 for $299/€299.
  • The Smach Zero has 4GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, a 720p touch screen and HDMI output. EDIT: Other sources now confirm there is an SD Card slot for expandable storage, along with USB OTG.
  • The Smach Zero carries an embedded G-Series SoC "Steppe Eagle" from AMD, with a Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon Graphics.
  • And, of course, the Smach Zero is going to launch with SteamOS and "1000's of Steam Games ready to play". EDIT: Sources claim the portable will be able to handle games like Cities Skyline, Civ 5, BioShock Infinite, Half Life 2, and Dota 2 no problem.

The video below is what the company released while at Gamescom on Saturday.

:arrow:Source
EDIT: :arrow: Additional Source

I'm quite interested in this project myself, I've always been fascinated by the idea of a portable game system that is essentially a PC, and this project so far looks to be exactly what I've been looking for! If this portable truly boasts a full x86 version of SteamOS, and specs enough to play a good amount of the Steam library, then I'd definitely be interested in giving one a purchase.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's why you need this:

Tbh. I would prefer picking up the Smach just because it has a more familiar hardware & software.
I've been checking out Steam Big Picture mode lately and would rather carry a tiny Bluetooth keyboard around with me (or tiny usb OTG keyboard) than stepping into uncharted territory.

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you need this:

Can that thing play dark souls?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tbh. I would prefer picking up the Smach just because it has a more familiar hardware & software.
I've been checking out Steam Big Picture mode lately and would rather carry a tiny Bluetooth keyboard around with me (or tiny usb OTG keyboard) than stepping into uncharted territory.
Plus the pyra has awful specs for the price

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only people who turn green need to see a doctor.