SlimeVR Surpasses Crowd Supply Goal in Under a Day

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yesterday a kickstarter was put up on Crowd Supply for SlimeVR, an open-source fullbody VR tracking kit being developed independently by Eiren Rain. The set goal was $180,000, but less than 24 hours it had raised well over $300,000.

What makes SlimeVR unique?

What makes SlimeVR different is that it uses an IMU tracking solution, sending the tracking data to your PC via a WiFi connection of 2.4ghz. Due to the IMU solution, SlimeVR tracking is entirely self-contained as well as fully wireless, meaning there are no external sensors. No sensors also means that the trackers can be fully occluded; you could even lie in bed under the covers and they wouldn't lose tracking. All you need for the kit is a stable WiFi connection and a SteamVR-compatible headset.
That being said, SlimeVR isn't perfect. It's still in early beta and all known bugs are planned to be fixed before launch, as well as plans to make setting up the trackers much faster and easier. If you're concerned about the tracking quality, you can see that it improves quite a bit with every single progress update.

upload_2021-9-14_17-55-23.png

Eirin also provided a bit of insight regarding the specifications of the kits:
  • Native SteamVR support
  • 100 Hz refresh rate
  • Completely wireless via 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi
  • Over 15 hours of playtime with a built-in 1200 mAh battery
  • USB Type-C charging and hacking
  • Over-the-air (OTA) firmware updates
  • Works with all SteamVR-compatible headsets
  • PC connection over Wi-Fi via your network router, Wi-Fi card, dongle, or integrated in the MB / Laptop
SlimeVR is aimed to release to the public in Q1 2022, with a starting price of $165 for the Lower-Body Set, and a highest point of $455 for the Deluxe Tracker Set, with several different optional sets in-between.
This is a much cheaper solution than the Vive Trackers, costing $99 per individual tracker, and $200 per base station (which you will want at least two of), for a total of over $600 for fullbody tracking that requires external sensors.

Erien on other sites:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCllVr_IVJ11AmcuAped8-uA
https://github.com/Eirenliel
https://twitter.com/eirenliel

Sources
SlimeVR Github: SlimeVR · GitHub
CrowdSupply: https://www.crowdsupply.com/slimevr/slimevr-full-body-tracker

Last edited by Mama Looigi,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This article should be front paged
But that would go against the "fuck VR" stance the site has.

More seriously funded ebegging gimmick is not really news. Funded ebegging gimmick delivers product and it is taken up by games despite everybody else playing DRM wars with each other... that would be news.
Granted funded ebegging gimmick delivers product vaguely in line with stated goals is probably news.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
But that would go against the "fuck VR" stance the site has.

More seriously funded ebegging gimmick is not really news. Funded ebegging gimmick delivers product and it is taken up by games despite everybody else playing DRM wars with each other... that would be news.
Granted funded ebegging gimmick delivers product vaguely in line with stated goals is probably news.
I thought this site loved gimmicks

but I honestly shouldn't be speaking

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The idea behind this project is nice and they spent enough effort to make and market this product. I hope this project does not go into the path of most crowdfunded projects.

Now I wonder if you can make an android application and strap old phones to your body parts and do the same thing...

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The idea behind this project is nice and they spent enough effort to make and market this product. I hope this project does not go into the path of most crowdfunded projects.

Now I wonder if you can make an android application and strap old phones to your body parts and do the same thing...
That… actually is already an option.

Reactions: r5xscn

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That… actually is already an option.

That's cool. I also think that this project is still relevant even when you can strap old phones to your body.

165 USD for the 5 modules would be like 33 bucks each. The pricing is spot on and not too expensive based on the amount of hardware. I am sure people can build a 20 USD or less module of microcontroller + sensors + battery, but it requires macgayvering a solution on your own.

Now we just need to see if they can fulfill the crowdfunding orders, which is a challenge for many crowdfunding projects.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later