Skype coming to Sony's PSP

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guess what babies? All your wildest dreams are about to come true (provided they don't get too wild). That's right, according to new PR for Sony's upcoming CES showing, Skype is apparently coming to the PSP. Details are scarce at the moment (i.e., nonexistent), but the company makes clear mention of a Skype client for the handheld game system on its CES 2008 promo site, which is pretty official -- though we're gonna hold our breath a little till we see a press release. Obviously, we'll be hearing a lot more about this when the big show kicks off this month, but until then at least we can all sleep a little better at night knowing the PSP is about to get yet another succulent function. Just hit the read link and click on the controller icon, all you need to know is listed in the sidebar. Via Engadget,

Among other things the CES 2008 PSP video shows Skype support, downlodable PSP games via PSN and the already supported Internet Radio feature.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In other news no decent games were announced.
unsure.gif

But seriously? Skype? Does the PSP even have a microphone? Can't remember. The internet radio feature sounds nice (and actually useful too!). my mate was going to buy an internet radio, but as he has a PSP perhaps he'll change his mind.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the feature hasn't been officially announced (by a Sony spoke person) yet, since Sony's site is a promotional one expect to hear about it when CES exhibition occur from January 7, 2008 through January 10, 2008 in Las Vegas. (The video is official so this isn't a rumor).

While the PSP doesn't has a Mic, you can get a headset with a mic for 20USD, though the games supporting voice chat are scarse (Socoms, Talkman and MoH I believe) this is seriously great news as Sony keeps offering new services and improvements to the PSP.

Edit: Added the "official" part.

Nullkill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In even further news... Skype for PSP was released for Japan only. (Seriously though; ill be shocked if Sony releases this for US; (IMO GPS was a more useful add on then skype could be; and that was Japan only.)

I'm pretty sure theres been other PSP announcements; with releases targeted for Japan only.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skype on psp why not?

I still have the add-on microphone for psp if you remember talkman..
66216355_e864339b1c.jpg

they probably might bring out some new headset for psp with microphone..

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In even further news... Skype for PSP was released for Japan only. (Seriously though; ill be shocked if Sony releases this for US; (IMO GPS was a more useful add on then skype could be; and that was Japan only.)

I'm pretty sure theres been other PSP announcements; with releases targeted for Japan only.
Agreed. Oh, and, wish grantedhttp://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/01/06/ces-gps-peripheral-coming-soon-to-the-ushttp://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/01/06/ces-gps-peripheral-coming-soon-to-the-us.

FSSimon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I tried it with my dad. It's pretty cool. Rasises the value of the PSP IMO...
However, it is only available on the newer PSP slim... PSP FAt only has 32 megs of ram. Like that guy said on another forum: "Thanks Sony for a nice kick in the nuts of early adopters..."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.